James Coney or Dan Campbell OC?

Rayman70

Reaction score
depends what your definition of aggressive is I guess. In my opinion, Joe Lombardi and or Dan Campbell are instant upgrades. Super aggressive would be firing Garrett and hiring a college coach as your HC...LIKE DABO Swinney....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need someone coaching like their job is on the line and they have a point to prove
That’s not how Jerry runs this thing. Which member of the Jones family front office has their job on the line or has a point to prove? Our GM earned that job with his checkbook and his son earned his job upon birth. Who’s job is on the line besides mid level coaches who have little authority? It’s the primary reason this organization is the NFL poster child of dysfunction.

tm1119

Reaction score
There’s 4 candidates still coaching

Campbell and Joe Lombardi from the Saints

Aaron Kromer and Jedd Fisch from the Rams

Those 4 + Coley (which I really don’t understand). Could see a vet guy like Mornhinweg or Musgrave getting an interview as well.

I hope they actually take their time and interview several candidates instead of just hiring a guy Garrett knows

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Yeah, really need someone with new offensive ideas and let him run the offense. If it's just another guy calling plays in Garrett's outdated offensive concepts, it will just be more of the same.

No thanks to either of those guys.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I'm slower to believe that. Like turtle slow.

If it's Campbell, I don't know how one comes to any other conclusion but that Garrett had heavy influence.

If it's not Campbell, okay, maybe so.
Campbell played for Jerry and Stephen though so I wouldn’t credit Garrett entirely on hiring him.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Campbell played for Jerry and Stephen though so I wouldn’t credit Garrett entirely on hiring him.

Based on what Red has said about Campbell over the years, it's clear that there's a relationship there. Coaching beside someone is, to me, more likely compelling than just that the guy played for us.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
depends what your definition of aggressive is I guess. In my opinion, Joe Lombardi and or Dan Campbell are instant upgrades. Super aggressive would be firing Garrett and hiring a college coach as your HC...LIKE DABO Swinney....

How are those two guys instant upgrades?

Western

Reaction score
What quality offensive genius/play-caller would want to work for Jerry?
For Jerry, the coach has to justify Jerry's hand-picked players.
Jerry is the ultimate decision-maker in this organization.

Think of Jerry's hire of Bruce Coslet in 2002 -- get an offensive play-caller that can prove that Jerry's draft selection of Quincy Carter is validated.
Jerry wants a yes man -- not someone who is going to challenge his authority or decision-making.

_sturt_

Reaction score
There’s 4 candidates still coaching
Campbell and Joe Lombardi from the Saints
Aaron Kromer and Jedd Fisch from the Rams
Those 4 + Coley (which I really don’t understand). + Nussmeier Could see a vet guy like Mornhinweg or Musgrave getting an interview as well.
I hope they actually take their time and interview several candidates instead of just hiring a guy Garrett knows

I'm in the corner that says, if you give someone a job, let them do their job.

I'm not a fan of Jerry dictating to his head coach who is going to be his offensive coordinator.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
That’s not how Jerry runs this thing. Which member of the Jones family front office has their job on the line or has a point to prove? Our GM earned that job with his checkbook and his son earned his job upon birth. Who’s job is on the line besides mid level coaches who have little authority? It’s the primary reason this organization is the NFL poster child of dysfunction.
Coaching like your job is on the line would be anti-Linehan. That is recognized as of today.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Based on what Red has said about Campbell over the years, it's clear that there's a relationship there. Coaching beside someone is, to me, more likely compelling than just that the guy played for us.
Don’t get me wrong you want a relationship between the coaches that way chemistry is established and I know Garrett would love to have Campbell but I am just pointing out that Garrett wasn’t going to fire Linehan and is quoted as such. Garrett hasn’t been preparing for a coaching change until recently. Garrett will be involved in the interviews of course and his opinion matters but talent so far has been brought in by Will McClay and Stephen Jones.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Those are the two names being tossed around on twitter according to Dallas Media sources.... Coney was with Garrett in Miami, Cutrently the Georgia OC.

Has to be someone from these last 4 teams or Jones would have already pounced on him.

tm1119

Reaction score
I'm in the corner that says, if you give someone a job, let them do their job.

I'm not a fan of Jerry dictating to his head coach who is going to be his offensive coordinator.

Yeah I’m not against Garrett getting to choose his guy, I just want there to be options. In a perfect world the gm would set up a few candidates he feels are most qualified (with a suggestion from the coach) to interview with Jason in the room and then let Jason decide after all interviews are done.

But this is the Cowboys we are talking about so who the heck knows how this will be decided. Charlotte could be narrowing down her top choices as we speak.

Gaede

Reaction score
I like Dan Campbell. Wish we could get an innovative mind though.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong you want a relationship between the coaches that way chemistry is established and I know Garrett would love to have Campbell but I am just pointing out that Garrett wasn’t going to fire Linehan and is quoted as such. Garrett hasn’t been preparing for a coaching change until recently. Garrett will be involved in the interviews of course and his opinion matters but talent so far has been brought in by Will McClay and Stephen Jones.

I think we just fundamentally disagree that Garrett and the Joneses have been telling us the truth all this time when they claim to make these decisions as a group.

I believe them.

I believe Red didn't at first anticipate that there would be any question that Linehan would be back, so that's why he answered the question on radio as he did, and then turned around that afternoon in his presser and corrected himself to say, actually, those conversations hadn't been had yet.

I believe when they did meet, the more they talked, the more the what-if scenarios were illuminated, and one of those probably was "what if some people would be available that we don't know right now might become available."

I believe when they investigated further, it was discovered that there were, indeed, some that would become available by virtue of their contracts being done.

That, to me, is the more likely play-by-play here.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I think we just fundamentally disagree that Garrett and the Joneses have been telling us the truth all this time when they claim to make these decisions as a group.

I believe them.

I believe Red didn't at first anticipate that there would be any question that Linehan would be back, so that's why he answered the question on radio as he did, and then turned around that afternoon in his presser and corrected himself to say, actually, those conversations hadn't been had yet.

I believe when they did meet, the more they talked, the more the what-if scenarios were illuminated, and one of those probably was "what if some people would be available that we don't know right now might become available."

I believe when they investigated further, it was discovered that there were, indeed, some that would become available by virtue of their contracts being done.

That, to me, is the more likely play-by-play here.
I agree with most of what you are saying if not all