Jason Garrett Interviewing with Chargers

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Woah. I didn’t expect that one.

Me neither and I’m still waiting on a Bieniemy hire. Hearing rumors he’s perfectly happy until it’s a dream job. No clue

khiladi

Reaction score
Jason Garrett possibility of jobs will be:

1. Giants... his father was assistant coach to Lombardi, with Tom Landry. This is a Maras family connection that goes way back.

2. The Cowboys, through Tom Landry and then Jerry Jones, via Jim Garrett who served as a scout there and eventually became a right hand man of Jerry.

3. A Saban coaching tree, through the Dolphins, which is a double bond in NY, since Joe Judge is also a Saban guy, before Bellichek.

4. Joe Judge already fired Columbo after game 5, who was brought by Garrett and Joe took over the running game, which then went from 32 to around 21. Jason Garrett also brought Dooley to the Giants. This basically shows how much lack of innovation JG has as a HC or play caller for that matter.

I hardly doubt he will ever be seriously considered for any position that isn’t in these three areas. Even after SD, whose GM interviews and hires questionable picks, Jason Garrett is back to NY. And if the Chargers hired Staley, the JG interview was probably just ‘part of the process’, even though they were set on Staley and just waiting for the outcome of the Rams playoff picture.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
Never was a Garrett supporter (was hoping he would accept the Falcons job), but because of his father's longtime association with franchise, Garrett was Jones choice. You are one of these commenters that don't comprehend well what you read. Nothing in my post stated that I was pro-Garrett - I just put up his coaching record --didn't say it was great or very good. The information just shows Jones kept him as HC long enough to have higher numbers than other Cowboys coaches. Did not say he was better than any of them.
Just like former Cowboys players get discussed here in CZ - Dez and Beasley yesterday as their teams went against each other in the playoff game, former Cowboys coaches in the news will get discussed by members here. As you see, some other CZ member created the thread about Garrett. (I would never do that.) most of them are negative for Garrett. I feel the same way. This past season he was mostly bad as Giants OC. Reports are that Brian Diboll is the front runner for the Chargers HC position. Good for that team--hiring Garrett would be a mistake.

There was a state I read, I believe Sturm provided it way back in 2012. From 2008-2011, the moment Garrett took over complete control of the offense, Garrett didn’t call a single snap from under center for a three-WR set, while the whole league was already doing it. Remember, opposing defenses were basically saying how basic the Cowboys offense was.

This is what Romo had to work with, until Jerry finally banished him from play calling in 2014.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
There was a state I read, I believe Sturm provided it way back in 2012. From 2008-2011, the moment Garrett took over complete control of the offense, Garrett didn’t call a single snap from under center for a three-WR set, while the whole league was already doing it. Remember, opposing defenses were basically saying how basic the Cowboys offense was.

This is what Romo had to work with, until Jerry finally banished him from play calling in 2014.
Good coach though. It'll be 10 years of that coward not getting another hc job and dides will still be dug in. Quite sad

jnday

Reaction score

Garrett can be a much better coach than he showed in Dallas. Coaching with Jerry’s meddling limits any coach from doing his best.

khiladi

Reaction score
Garrett can be a much better coach than he showed in Dallas. Coaching with Jerry’s meddling limits any coach from doing his best.

I doubt it.

Garrett brought Columbo and Dooley with him to the Giants. He was absolutely awful as a play-caller, pretty much last in everything. The only reason the RG 'improved' to 21 is that Columbo was fired and Judge supposedly took over the RG. The same 'rumors' plaguing Garrett's play-calling here, manifested itself in NY.

The reality is, Garrett was Jerry's chosen one. Any move, including by Wade, to get him help was eventually shot down by Jerry. Dan Reeves was supposed to oversee the RG and JJ was about to pull the trigger, but something happened last minute. On the other hand, Jerry made Wade remove Brian Stewart from DC position and take over play-calling. The only person that benefitted in regards to power and authority was Jason Garrett. Plenty of players thought he sabotaged Wade.

If you follow Garrett here, every coach was essentially hand-picked by him. Houck was brought here, than Garrett's brother came and they drafted Ogletree from UVA, who was John Garrett's pet project. After one year as TE coach, John became the passing game coordinator. Dooley was brought here and even Linehan, after Garrett kept interfering with Callahan. Jerry went out and got Roy Williams when Jason's offense was struggling, blowing draft picks to help Jason.

It was only when Romo's new contract was coming around that changes started happening. Jason didn't even have Romo in game-planning meetings until the new contract forced it on top. Romo could have walked as a free agent, but he used it to start forcing changes.

Unlike any of these young coaches that have set the league on fire, Jason has not shown anything innovation in respect to coaching philosophy. Guys like Reich and McVay are real offensive talents. Garrett showed nothing in Miami, Dallas and NY to show he brings anything innovative.