Jason Garrett is a One-Trick Pony

khiladi

Reaction score
This loss lies squarely on the shoulders of Jason Garrett. The guy insists on running deep vertical routes when Romo is getting hammered over and over again, failing to adjust the routes of the WRs. Every team is simply dropping their men back in coverage, taking away the deep routes, and JG keeps insisting on running the offense straight into the heart of this defense. I have been saying for the past few weeks that Romo is getting pressured way too much and Romo isn't getting any rhythm.

This team has no systematic approach towards attacking a defense. He isn't moving TO in the slot and having him run slants over and over again. This guy is not even close to deserving his salary. This offense is akin to street-ball and he isn't allowing the OL to get in any groove.

This offense is predictable.

Reaction score
Garrett didn't make the proper game adjustments because you can't allow your QB to keep taking those hits. Romo needs a 3 step drop to a hot route on those blitzes because obviously the offensive line can't protect good enough.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
The most disturbing thing to me is that TO has been totally shut down in 3 straight games. I find it hard to believe that he cannot figure out how to get TO the ball. I can see 2 games but if he can't make some adjustment after 2 games, you have to really wonder.

links18

Reaction score
I think the kick-off return for a touchdown, blocked punt for a touchdown, missed short field goal and getting raped by Larry Fitzgerald all of the second half, had a lot to do with the loss, but yes Garrett is coming back down to earth along with the rest of the offense.....

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I'm sorry but the offense didn't give up 13 points on bad special teams plays. We don't do that and we win the game.

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
In all honesty, who the heck expected such a ferocious pass-rush from the Cardinals? Their defense actually looked dominating. I can't remember the last time I had good things to say about the Cardinals' defensive prowess. I guess the return of Bertrand Berry was sorely underestimated.:eek:

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
They could add more timing routes because standing in the pocket waiting for someone to get open is not working.

khiladi

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;2331320 said:
Garrett didn't make the proper game adjustments because you can't allow your QB to keep taking those hits. Romo needs a 3 step drop to a hot route on those blitzes because obviously the offensive line can't protect good enough.

Because the routes for the WRs are deep, vertical routes and all the opposing defenses are doing is dropping their men back in coverage. It has been on-going and Jason hasn't done a single thing in terms of shortening the routes of his WRs. TO makes his bread-and-butteroff the quick slants over the middle.

Even Zorn knows how to shorten routes and force the defenses to adjust.

khiladi

Reaction score
Garland powerplay;2331359 said:
They could add more timing routes because standing in the pocket waiting for someone to get open is not working.

Like I said, our offense is like ghetto ball.

khiladi

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;2331355 said:
I'm sorry but the offense didn't give up 13 points on bad special teams plays. We don't do that and we win the game.

Did you see our last offenive out that led to the special teams block? Our offense killed any momentum this team had. Hell, the play where Marion Barber scored had nothing to do with the play-call and had everything to do with a busted play by the Cardinals and a great effort by Barber.

We have TO, who has been pretty much ineffective the last 3 or 4 games. If TO is not getting his production, it lies squarely on the coach, nobody else.

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
Yeah we need to change it up a bit. The offense is too predictable and Wade doesn't seem to step in and do anything about it. Kind of makes you wonder who has the Authority over there.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
I was at the game but didn't have my binocs. What position on the Oline did Garrett play today?

Our two long TDs were short, pressure-induced dumps that worked. Our QB fumbled and took sacks when he tried to let/make/force longer plays develop.

Owens did have single coverage nearly everytime Witten was in motion to his side, as the safety would step up. Would've liked to see us try to exploit that, but I think Romo has to make that read.

jimmy40

Reaction score
khiladi;2331409 said:
Hell, the play where Marion Barber scored had nothing to do with the play-call and had everything to do with a busted play by the Cardinals and a great effort by Barber.
That play had a lot to do with Flozell getting away with holding.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
khiladi;2331409 said:
Did you see our last offenive out that led to the special teams block? Our offense killed any momentum this team had. Hell, the play where Marion Barber scored had nothing to do with the play-call and had everything to do with a busted play by the Cardinals and a great effort by Barber.

We have TO, who has been pretty much ineffective the last 3 or 4 games. If TO is not getting his production, it lies squarely on the coach, nobody else.

Sure I did. But our ST put us in that position.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
you're spot-on khiladi

I noticed it last week, our biggest designed play of the day came from a 3-wide set, and running Crayton in the slot

that play is money because all our WRs are great downfield blockers

it boggles my mind how Garrett refuses to attack the middle of the field, the thing about playing against a zone is beating it w/ the short passing game, that'll pull in the D closer, and then it'll open up plays deep

Reaction score
One more issue to overcome...bottom line is that this is a mediocre team...the leadership (or lack of) is frustrating, and the fact that there does not seem to be any fire frustrating (just keep hanging your head 9, it'll be okay)...damn it is upsetting. sadly it seems like we all take it more seriously than those on the field.

khiladi

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;2331497 said:
Sure I did. But our ST put us in that position.

And our offense put us in the position to get a blocked punt. What is your freakin' point? The first blunder of special teams came in the beginning of the game. There was over 40 minutes of game play after the busted punt, and our offense couldn't do jack-squat.

The only thing the special teams is guilty of, is going to be hiding what is a real problem of this Cowboys team, our offensive play-calling. People, many of them like you, are going to lay the blame on the special teams and say it was purely their fault. TO has caught freakin' 3 balls for how many yards, and you think this defeat lies on the hands of special teams?

Please....