Twitter: Jason Garrett OTA PC Tweetcap - 05/30/18

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rob Phillips‏Verified account @robphillips3 19m19 minutes ago
Jason Garrett discussing the importance of laying the foundation here in OTAs. Team is “really young,” he said. Only a few players 30 or over. #cowboyswire

Drew Davison‏Verified account @drewdavison 19m19 minutes ago
David Irving is not expected to practice in OTAs again, Jason Garrett said. He’s been sporadic in showing up so far this offseason for workouts.

Mark Lane‏ @therealmarklane 18m18 minutes ago
Jason Garrett says the Terrance Williams arrest is "an ongoing investigation" and doesn't want to comment.
Jason Garrett says Jason Witten's example helped their coaching in the tight end room. It is a challenge with him not in there.
Jason Garrett says the #Cowboys aren't talking about anybody making the 53-man roster. Having said that, Rico Gathers just needs to get better every day.
Jason Garrett says Rico Gathers plays a challenging position in tight end. He has to understand protections as well as routes.
Jason Garrett says Jaylon Smith is moving more spontaneously now.
Jason Garrett says you see more of that naturalness from Jaylon Smith that you saw at Notre Dame.
Jason Garrett says the players will practice in the Texas heat today. It's good for their physical and mental conditioning.
Jason Garrett says Kellen Moore is making the transition well into coaching. "His understanding of what we're asking quarterbacks to do is thorough."
Jason Garrett says Kellen Moore is learning how to teach and how to coach in the meeting room.
Jason Garrett says Mike White handles himself the right way. He has a great command in the huddle.
Jason Garrett says he is looking for the wide receiver group to just get better.
Jason Garrett says the #Cowboys have to get better in the passing game with Jason Witten and Dez Bryant gone.
Jason Garrett says the #Cowboys have to throw the ball at a higher level in 2018. It's not about being more prolific at throwing the ball.

Kate Hairopoulos‏Verified account @khairopoulos 16m16 minutes ago
Jason Garrett: Cowboys didn’t bring back TE Rico Gathers from IR last season because team too far into season for him to make significant contributions once cleared concussion protocol (week 7).

Mike Leslie‏Verified account @MikeLeslieWFAA 15m15 minutes ago
This #Cowboys team has only three players on their OTA roster over the age of 30. This is a very young football team, with the oldest offensive starter being 27 year old Tyron Smith.

David Helman‏Verified account @HelmanDC 13m13 minutes ago
Jason Garrett says Charles Tapper suffered a concussion during yesterday’s OTA and won’t participate today #cowboyswire
Maliek Collins, Terrance Williams, DeMarcus Lawrence, Sean Lee and David Irving also aren’t participating today. For the same reasons as last week #cowboyswire
Jason Garrett says Ezekiel Elliott practices and works the right way.

Sepia

Reaction score
DE Charles Tapper suffered a concussion in OTA practice yesterday, Jason Garrett said. Will not practice today. #cowboyswire

:facepalm:

Sydla

Reaction score
Just more proof as to why this team was and likely will be hesitant to sign Irving long term. And why they probably weren't afraid to lose him on a 2nd round tender.

And LOL at the Garrett comment about us being "young". I suspect we will see that comment a lot from him and possibly Jerry and Stephen as we lead up to the season and, more importantly, if we struggle during the season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Just more proof as to why this team was and likely will be hesitant to sign Irving long term. And why they probably weren't afraid to lose him on a 2nd round tender.

I think we all understand that those are the issues with him. The question is what the team will do if he racks up sacks at the rate he was last season.

If you've got a 12- to 16-sack, disruptive 3-tech, do you ignore him being out of shape when workouts start and not showing up for voluntary practices?

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Lol is Irving just mailing it in? Man I’m nervous about DT now what a mess

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I'm not one to give up on a player but if Tapper is going to make this roster he can't afford to get hurt....... Oh wait too late

Doomsday101

Reaction score

And LOL at the Garrett comment about us being "young". I suspect we will see that comment a lot from him and possibly Jerry and Stephen as we lead up to the season and, more importantly, if we struggle during the season.

I don't think they see it as a liability. Many of the young guys entering 2nd and 3rd year should become bigger impacts on this team. As for rookies I expect some rookie mistakes but most of this team should be primed for this season

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think we all understand that those are the issues with him. The question is what the team will do if he racks up sacks at the rate he was last season.

If you've got a 12- to 16-sack, disruptive 3-tech, do you ignore him being out of shape when workouts start and not showing up for voluntary practices?
Long since been time to let go of "pace" stats with Irving.
He's had 11.5 sacks in 35 NFL games.
His season high total is 7.

The isn't cutting him but it's also not coddling or making exceptions for him.
Which is as it should be.

Frankly a guy in a contract year not bothering to show up is mind-boggling.
He has 20-30M on the line.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

You realize those 92-95 teams were also amongst the youngest in the NFL and that he was on those teams right?

I get that you are determined to blame him for your planned failure and just as determined to not let him off the hook but give me a break.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Lol is Irving just mailing it in? Man I’m nervous about DT now what a mess

Depends on what sporadic entails. I get that he should be there anyway but he did just go through a dramatic breakup and custody battle.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In my view, For Rico I think it comes down to fully understanding his assignments and blocking. If he can show that I think he gives himself a chance given his athletic ability and size

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
DE Charles Tapper suffered a concussion in OTA practice yesterday, Jason Garrett said. Will not practice today. #cowboyswire

:facepalm:

I'll be glad when everyone realizes he is Matt Johnson 2.0. Still under 50 career snaps but he's the second coming of jesus according to forums.