Twitter: Jason Garrett OTA PC Tweetcap - 05/30/18

Sydla

Reaction score
I think we all understand that those are the issues with him. The question is what the team will do if he racks up sacks at the rate he was last season.

If you've got a 12- to 16-sack, disruptive 3-tech, do you ignore him being out of shape when workouts start and not showing up for voluntary practices?

That's going to be one interesting scenario for sure.

fredp22

Reaction score
Jason Garrett says he is looking for the wide receiver group to just get better.

sounds like he's saying "this group is a mess".
No X, Twill status in the air, rest rookies or P/T players. I still think they will be watching cut-downs for a vet X

Chuck 54

Reaction score
So... David Irving shows up out of shape and has been sporadic in showing up.
And tip toe through the tulips Tapper is hurt... again.

Sounds like Dallas Cowboys football!!!
Easy....all the fans who don't give a crap about OTA's will educate you on their fact that it doesn't matter, that he has plenty of time to be ready and all of camp.....which is true, but if OTA's and being in freakin' shape all year round wasn't important, those wouldn't be NFL expectations.

Irving might be a potential star, and he might have a great year, but he clearly isn't really committed to football, the Cowboys, his payday, or anything else....he's a loser.............a loser I hope sees the light and plays well because all fo this is going to sour for other teams.

conner01

Reaction score
Just more proof as to why this team was and likely will be hesitant to sign Irving long term. And why they probably weren't afraid to lose him on a 2nd round tender.

And LOL at the Garrett comment about us being "young". I suspect we will see that comment a lot from him and possibly Jerry and Stephen as we lead up to the season and, more importantly, if we struggle during the season.
Irving has in the past had same issues
He is a super talented player who is obviously not too bright
For all practical purposes this is a contract year. This is your chance to make the big bucks and he is expected to de certain things that he is not
For the money he could get I’d be the first guy there and last to leave, at least in a contract year
Maybe that hair dye soaked into his brain

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Long since been time to let go of "pace" stats with Irving.
He's had 11.5 sacks in 35 NFL games.
His season high total is 7.

The isn't cutting him but it's also not coddling or making exceptions for him.
Which is as it should be.

Frankly a guy in a contract year not bothering to show up is mind-boggling.
He has 20-30M on the line.

All kinds of personalities in football. Some are worth ignoring or putting up with as long as they are producing.

We essentially did that with Bryant until the production no longer outweighed the concerns.

I think it's silly with Irving to base expectations on him having 11.5 sacks in 35 NFL games. He had seven sacks in eight games last year as a starter, so that's the standard he's set as a starter. It would be ignorant to look at what he was producing three years ago and decide that's who he is as a player since players develop. With Irving, we've seen clear signs of development into the 3-tech he was last year.

Now, he could slip from that number. With more film on him, offenses could better negate his skills. And if that happens, then it becomes much easier to make a decision about his future with the team.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Irving will have to have an epiphany at some point and see that success relies largely upon his training regimen. Here's hoping he does. :rolleyes:

Sepia

Reaction score
I watched Ambar and Broaddus describe today’s OTAs:

Rico looked better than last week, when he looked slow.

Dak has a few errant passes and needs to keep working on accuracy. Broaddus said his ball-handling on fakes with Zeke were superb. Cooper Rush also had some missed throws.

Gallup has been amazing.

Xavier and Frazier at safety don’t seem to be making a vet unnecessary at this point. Broaddus described Frazier missing a play at the goal line against Blake Jarwin during a 2-min drill.

Jourdan Lewis had a better practice last week. Anthony Brown has had some problems. They said Byron Jones has been looking pretty good at corner.

Jaylon still has some issues with lateral movement, but shows promise going downhill.

No Tavon Austin doing punt returns yet.

Beasley was lined up outside instead of in the slot.

Darius Jackson had one play, went too wide, and messed up the handoff White was trying to give him.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
yea, now some of you posters know why a few of us wanted a trade done for Irving. Good news, you ll get to much production for to little and no draft pick or player for him.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
DE Charles Tapper suffered a concussion in OTA practice yesterday, Jason Garrett said. Will not practice today. #cowboyswire

:facepalm:
Part of his equipment is going to have to be bubble wrap.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Will be glad when Irving becomes someone else’s headache