Jason Garrett - Where's the love?

Fire407

Reaction score
Some people like to point at Jason's record and say he's a really good coach. I think any average coach would have the same record with the talent that the Cowboys have had. To me, it's the potential that has been wasted. I really believe we could have been in at least two Super Bowls by now with a different head coach. Of course there's no way to prove it as the Garrett supporters will say. We do know that with Jason we haven't made it yet, and I don't think we ever will with him as HC.

ghst187

Reaction score
The love for JG is awaiting behind a Lombardi that he hasn’t sniffed yet.
Never seen an owner get so excited to dole out a big contract after a huge loss two games short of a championship. That’s bush league.
JG is a terrible strategist and game manager which is why he usually loses when facing younger more innovative coaches and continually loses to inferior teams. His teams have won despite him not because of him. He’s a loser that’s wasted oodles of talent and some really great teams.

Big_D

Reaction score
Some people like to point at Jason's record and say he's a really good coach. I think any average coach would have the same record with the talent that the Cowboys have had. To me, it's the potential that has been wasted. I really believe we could have been in at least two Super Bowls by now with a different head coach. Of course there's no way to prove it as the Garrett supporters will say. We do know that with Jason we haven't made it yet, and I don't think we ever will with him as HC.

This is 100% correct. We never will. If you're as good as advertised in the regular season, that should no doubt translate to the postseason. Never does. Players are being wasted and now a golden opportunity of having success with quality players on rookie deals will soon be gone too. Jerry blew it by keeping this clown. The 'GM' never learns..

Dre11

Reaction score
Is this the part where you exaggerate people’s opinions?

At no point in time did I stop criticizing Garrett. The closest I came was the thread by CalPoly who asked would feelings change if he beat the Rams and made a NFCCG.

And in losing to the Rams, we again saw a coaching staff unable to adjust to what an opposing was doing to us. Numerous game analyses showing how the Rams scheme gave us fits, the were able to attack our weaknesses because we were giving tells, etc.

It’s sad how low some of you guys have now set the bar. Greatness for this franchise is apparently just an option now for some of you.

So again answer the question, did Pederson or Payton fail to adjust when we beat them? Every analyst showed how we shut the Saints down. Its funny you can suck all other coaches yet ignore the very thing you argue when it's our coaching staff, you're a joke.

Dre11

Reaction score
Actually, the Cowboys had a pretty good plan the previous week I thought, especially on defense.

But they clearly got out coached Sat and that was clear in the analysis after the game showing how McVay has our defense totally guessing and how they were picking on tells that our DL was giving to the OL.

If you switched coaches, I suspect the Cowboys would have won that game. McVay is simply a better, more innovative coach.

No it wasn't a plan, Caroll was outcoached, Just like Payton and Pederson. Admit it

dckid

Reaction score
As JJ said yesterday, had JG been fired, it would have taken him a minute and a half to find a new job. Let's look at JG in an historical perspective. He was young (45) when he took the team over. He has a decent sample size of games coached to assess his career to date, so how does his winning percentage stack up with some of the greats of the game? It is worth noting that, aside from Belichick, no other coach had a HOF QB that was willing to leave over $100m on the table to help their team win.

Jason Garrett's win percentage is .566. That puts him either statistically tied (within 3%) or better than the following list of coaches:

Bill Parcells (HOF)
Chuck Knoll (HOF)
Dan Quinn
Marv Levy (HOF)
Mike Ditka (HOF)
Ron Rivera
Jimmy Johnson
Mike Shanahan

He's within striking distance of (all less than .600)

Pete Carrol
John Harbaugh
Mike Zimmer
Mike Holmgren
Hank Stram
Don Coryell

The point is that fans tend to look at the latest 'boy wonder' or some other nonsense and they think that:

1. These guys grown on trees
2. That these new coaches that have been successful in the short term will also be successful in the long term. That's FAR from a guarantee.

As an example, Cowboy fans LOVED Jimmy Johnson after he started winning, but there was some serious hate flowing through the Cowboys fan universe after his first two seasons. He had an amazing run with Dallas, then shuffles off to Miami and manages just one 10 win season in four years. He had 11 win and 13 win seasons and a Super Bowl in his first four years with Dallas and arguably started with a lesser team before the talent flowed in like a water fall. Much of that great talent was a product not necessarily of luck, but of being at the right place at the right time (move a draft pick one position and the results might have been radically different, or don't take a chance on a troubled player like Haley and we might have won no SBs during his tenure).

The point is this: Jason Garrett is not an elite coach yet, but he IS a damn good coach. You're free to think he isn't, but you'd be wrong.

The over/under for Dallas this year was 8 games. It will be 8 or 9 next year with the schedule we play. The NFL has structured their league for parity, so if a coach can dodge losing seasons in our current era, he's done a good job.

Pete Carroll had 2 winning seasons during his first 6 years.
Belichick was an awful coach before he got Brady.
Chuck Knoll (HOF) had ONE 10 win season in his last 12 seasons.
In the 3 comparable years during his coaching career (2016-18 for Garrett), Bill Cowher went 7-9, 6-10, 9-7 and only had one 12 win season before that. JG has had 2 seasons with more wins.

You'd be wise to thank the coaching gods that JG is our coach. I look forward to many wininng seasons with him at the helm.
So your saying we put the clapper & spitter in the HOF?

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Wrong forum bro. This is the Cowboys forum, not the Browns......……..we dont measure success here by regular season wins, we use playoffs as the measuring stick.

Whats your boy's winning percentage in the playoffs compared to Belichick, Knoll, Landry, Cowher, Carroll, ect…..

After a decade, were these coaches still trying to get past the divisional round?

Yup, we have different standards.

TakedisDAK

Reaction score
Looks like you did, yeah. He’s won a lot of games, relative to other teams. He’s won the division a few times, as well.
Success in the NFL is winning championships or Hell, even playoff games. If you are content with a few playoff wins in a decade and a few division titles then we have two diff definitions of what success in the NFL is and that's ok I reckon.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Success in the NFL is winning championships or Hell, even playoff games. If you are content with a few playoff wins in a decade and a few division titles then we have two diff definitions of what success in the NFL is and that's ok I reckon.

There’s success in winning, period. Let’s not move the goalposts now just because it suits your agenda.

We all want to see even more success. That’s a given. .