Jason Hatcher Rips Romo and Garrett

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://1053thefan.radio.com/articl...-leadership-says-jason-garrett-sabotaged-wade

“Romo didn't have the it factor to make people around him better. I think when I was there he thought he was bigger than the team. It was like Romo and then the team. Like nobody in the locker room is really going to respect you like that. I really don't respect him as a player based on what he did to the team where a lot of people didn't see.”

"He was a great player and got all the numbers and stuff but I'll take Dak over Romo any day because Dak has the ability to make people around him better. You'll run through a wall for Dak but Romo, hell no."

When asked to clarify his remark about making people better, Hatcher went on to criticize Romo even more.

"Romo was feeling like he was a Brett Favre and I'm like 'dude, you ain't do nothing. What have you done? You got your own space that you leave ... don't come in the locker room an interact with your teammates, but you call yourself a leader? Nah, partner. It don't work like that.'

Hatcher was asked about what happened around the time the Cowboys fired Phillips and if the team quit on him?

"Let me tell you something. I'm going to tell you the truth. I saw Jason Garrett sabotage this man."

When asked if Hatcher believed that he said, "absolutely."

"We ran three plays three freakin plays (before Wade was fired). I don't care what the media say. We was flying around. We was out of pads in week 7 (in 2009). We was beating people's heads in. Now we go into camp cupcake (in 2010) and do what Wade don't want to do. We get in pads, we beat each other down. We tired, we not fresh. And then you go and call three or four plays (Garrett on offense) till this man gets fired."
I've been saying that about Garrett all along............

slick325

Reaction score
God bless Hatch. Had a good career. Hopefully Romo and the Jones boys invite him along with the rest of those teams when Romo, Ware and Witt make the ROH.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
I’m as big of a Romo fan as anybody and while the part about not making people around better I find bogus, I do think there’s some truth regarding the leadership part. Didn’t someone recently say Romo was a little “stand off” ish whereas Dak addresses everyone, acknowledges everyone etc? Thought it was Darren Woodson.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not very hard to believe Romo was actually a grade A D-Bag. He let alot of the hype and comparisons go to his head.

And he still hasnt won ****!

It’s not hard to believe Romo wasn’t a buddy to all the players - probably wasn’t the guy partying with them, and maybe even was somewhat aloof - but it’s actually very hard to believe he was a “grade A D-Bag”. Obviously we can’t know everything behind the scenes, but he has always come across as very personable, a family guy and a very charitable guy who gives his time and money to benefit others.

Last edited:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Listening to the audio now. Pretty good stuff. He also said how mad it made him that the team at times was a circus, that it almost wasn't about winning anymore and that the Cowboys brand was more important than football.

Anyone have any argument with that?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’m as big of a Romo fan as anybody and while the part about not making people around better I find bogus, I do think there’s some truth regarding the leadership part. Didn’t someone recently say Romo was a little “stand off” ish whereas Dak addresses everyone, acknowledges everyone etc? Thought it was Darren Woodson.

Dak may very well be a better leader then Romo. I wouldn’t doubt it.

Dak has elite intangibles.

He’s just an average at best QB. That’s the problem. He’s nothing special.

Dre11

Reaction score
Btw the PPG by the offense that year, went up after Wade was fired. And that’s with Kitna as QB and not Romo.

But yes. You know more about the situation than players in the locker room.

Btw not really, and the defense played better.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Wow

I don’t know how much I believe about Romo. I mean his feelings about Romo are probably a matter of perspective and don’t go for everybody on the team.

The stuff about Garrett sabotaging Wade? Duhhhhh

Woodsen said the same thing. This isn't the first time I've read or heard Romo didn't interact much with teammates other than Witten.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course not. He's made good money. No reason for him to be bitter. Got the boot and got a ring. Hatcher got the boot and got.......the Commanders......
So he’s bitter ... that doesn’t make him more credible. Not saying he’s lying, but I think outlier reports like this have to be taken with a grain of salt.

zerofill

Reaction score

I think Romo was probably more of a guy that you could talk to whenever, and he would help you. But he wasn't a guy that walked up to you and started the conversation himself.
A lot of people are like that, but don't do it to be a d-bag. That is just the way they are.

But, Hatcher criticizing anyone, when he sucked other than his contract year is a joke. The only reason he was good then, was because DWARE was being double teamed almost every game. Then he sucked when he left as well... He owes that season to DWARE...

JBS

Reaction score
Hahahah a bunch of clowns in here get butthurt so easily..I love romo as much as anyone in here..but this guy was in the locker room..this isn't the first time romos leadership has been questioned..

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is one subject I don't care about, at all. When it's all said and done, the team has gone exactly as far as it did with Wade as it did with Garrett as it did with Romo as it did with Dak.

Divisional round. That's it.

If/when Dak can take this team further than what was accomplished under Romo and the players who played with him then all the accolades and perspectives will matter.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Hahahah a bunch of clowns in here get butthurt so easily..I love romo as much as anyone in here..but this guy was in the locker room..this isn't the first team romos leadership has been questioned..

Who else questioned it? Another irrelevant former Cowboy player just countered Hatcher.

And again, Hatcher has come to stupid conclusions in the past like when he had even people in Washington calling him a moron when he said the refs were against the Commanders due to the name.

Dre11

Reaction score
Btw the PPG by the offense that year, went up after Wade was fired. And that’s with Kitna as QB and not Romo.

But yes. You know more about the situation than players in the locker room.

These are the offensive scores the first 7 games
I think Phillips was fired after 7 games.