Twitter: Jason LaCanfora: Don't worry about the Cowboys cap space

JBond

Reaction score
I understand, but that guy's revenue streams are all over the world.
That is true, but most owners do not take the revenue from one entity to pay another entity's salary costs. .

Cowboys22

Reaction score
‘Unmatched revenue streams’ are irrelevant. It’s cap space (not revenue earned) that is the constraint. LaConfora should hand in his press credentials just for conflating the two concepts.

Except that cap space is fluid and can be manipulated if you have cash on hand. There was a year maybe 8-10 years ago where Jerry spent $200+ million in cash on bonuses and salaries and the cap was barely half of that. Teams are only constrained by the cap if they choose to be.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
This is also 'farcical'

"They have unmatched revenue streams"

The team with the lowest revenue streams in football is the Jacksonville Jaguars, and they're governed by the exact same cap number you are. Not really sure where he's going with this.

What about it is farcical? He's not referring to the salary cap.

JBond

Reaction score
Jerry has a lot of money, personally, yeah.... What does that have to do with getting contracts done or the Cowboys Cap situation?
Nothing to do with the cap. Cash on hand is used to pay bonuses immediately. The Raiders didn't have enough cash to pay Mack's bonus demands. Links are further up in the thread.

JBond

Reaction score
Jerry has a lot of money, personally, yeah.... What does that have to do with getting contracts done or the Cowboys Cap situation?
Many teams do not have hundreds of millions laying around to pay the bonuses Jones will pay over the next two seasons. See the Raiders as an example.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nothing to do with the cap. Cash on hand is used to pay bonuses immediately. The Raiders didn't have enough cash to pay Mack's bonus demands. Links are further up in the thread.

And that is news how? I mean, his tweet is a bunch of nonsense.

Hardline

Reaction score
And 90% of this board sides with ownership. The Jones family makes a million a day off the Cowboys. Every sports talk show has had a segment a day on Zeke since the holdout began. Get your money son.

There's not a salary cap for how much an owner can make.
There is for the players.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Revenue is relevant when you do not have enough cash on hand to pay massive bonuses.

Perhaps, but how many times have seen this effect teams since the new cap? It's rare to see this effect NFL teams negatively. It really only effected Oakland because of their unique situation with the new stadium finances.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Many teams do not have hundreds of millions laying around to pay the bonuses Jones will pay over the next two seasons. See the Raiders as an example.

What teams are those? I mean, seriously, I think most teams do have that kind of capitol available to them.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You got a problem with the guy. Fine. I was answering your question. Sorry I bothered.

Other then the fact that he is throwing shade and posters here are giving it credence, not really. You didn't bother, necessarily, I'm just stating the opinion I have on the guy and it is that. It is only my opinion.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Except that cap space is fluid and can be manipulated if you have cash on hand. There was a year maybe 8-10 years ago where Jerry spent $200+ million in cash on bonuses and salaries and the cap was barely half of that. Teams are only constrained by the cap if they choose to be.

Teams can certainly mortgage the future from time to time if they wish. It’s what the Eagles did to help them win a title in 2017 (and what they continue to do). But it’s not how to put together a perennial contender. It’s not what the Patriots do. And I don’t think it’s what the Cowboys have been looking to do more recently.

Plankton

Reaction score
What does a revenue stream have to do with the salary cap?

If you are paying a bonus, or guaranteeing any sum of a contract, the guaranteed sum of the money needs to be held in an escrow account until it's paid out. The more revenue streams that you have on hand, the greater ability you have to meet this requirement.

Plankton

Reaction score
Jacksonville's owner is worth $7.9 billion. He has more money than any owner in the NFL.

Actually, the Paul Allen Trust has more money than any other owner in the NFL.

blueblood70

Reaction score
‘Unmatched revenue streams’ are irrelevant. It’s cap space (not revenue earned) that is the constraint. LaConfora should hand in his press credentials just for conflating the two concepts.
we've had a young team with small contracts because we build through the draft vs FAs and that had our cap usage number way down,IE revenue stream in Cap room to stagger all these contracts front, middle and back end them to make sure the YEARLY Cap will not be exceeded.. we didnt already have bunch of big contracts out unitl. now..

how is that hard to understand..thats why the structure and language of the bonus money and when it gets paid is very important so they can stagger the way its paid out against each cyears cap..
we had room to pay the piper, we had like a possible 21 contracts up by the end of 2020..

Id say sihgig all these stars now and finding a way to keep a middle ones and cut and draft the bottom guys gives us maybe a 3yr windown until this rreally becomes a Cap concern..

AbeBeta

Reaction score

This is true of the Raiders. They are an odd team though as the Davis family does not have other income sources. The Davis family would never qualify to own a team now. Many of the original ownership groups would not qualify, so the number of teams you see with potential cash flow issues is relatively small.