CFZ Jason Peters, Michael Gallup, Peyton Hendershot vs. Rams

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Game 5 will likely come down to the trenches.

We've already seen Tyler Smith enter the scene and look like a seasoned vet at left tackle from the start. His success at LT is really one of the least talked about reasons for why Cooper Rush was even able to do what he's been doing.

Aside from pass protection, Tyler often moves his guy downfield so far, like on those Zeke runs to the outside, and even on Pollard's longer runs earlier this season, those were behind Tyler Smith.

I would point out that the offense goes as Tyler Smith goes, because I don't think this offense goes with the likes of Josh Ball, whether it be Dak Prescott or Cooper Rush playing quarterback.

He has really stepped up.

That said, I have three players who, in my book, are going to need to step up against the Rams, if we are to win, and, as the year goes on, if we're to compete in the playoffs. And I think all three of these players will be able to step it up.

Jason Peters. He's a vocal leader. I like how he's a fighter, and he likes to bring the pain with his game and takes the lead as a veteran leader with experience. And he's down to win. I want to see him get more involved against the Rams, who I think we can beat. No way they target Cooper Kupp 19 times and Diggs not eat. The thing with the Rams is that they like to get rid of the ball fast, no Romo juking around; it's really just Stafford taking a few steps, and mostly getting rid of the ball, scheming ways to get it to Kupp.

Peyton Hendershot is starting to get more recognition from opposing teams, because he's a big target who's difficult to take down sometimes. He needs to be a factor against the Rams.

To be successful, the Cowboys need several plays that are designed to scheme around each player: Gallup, Lamb, Brown, Hendershot, Schultz, etc.

Getting everyone involved will help them stay unpredictable.

In the past, Dak does well spreading the ball around and getting everyone involved. We've got to continue changing up our pre-snap motions every week and game planning ways to stay unpredictable, which we've done a good job of so far. And we should simplify our playbook each game, but have plays designed for each player.

If we're to beat the Rams, like we beat the WFTs, Michael Gallup will need to be the x-factor.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Tyler didn't have a very good game last week. If you get a chance watch the All 22. Not saying he's a bum because he's definitely exceeded expectations, but, "the offense goes as Tyler Smith goes," would be part of why they only had 62 yards rushing.

Again, he's doing well for a rookie but it's not like he's looking All Pro out there.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We've already seen Tyler Smith enter the scene and look like a seasoned vet at left tackle from the start. His success at LT is really one of the least talked about reasons for why Cooper Rush was even able to do what he's been doing.

Aside from pass protection, Tyler often moves his guy downfield so far, like on those Zeke runs to the outside, and even on Pollard's longer runs earlier this season, those were behind Tyler Smith.

I would point out that the offense goes as Tyler Smith goes, because I don't think this offense goes with the likes of Josh Ball, whether it be Dak Prescott or Cooper Rush playing quarterback.

He has really stepped up.

That said, I have three players who, in my book, are going to need to step up against the Rams, if we are to win, and, as the year goes on, if we're to compete in the playoffs. And I think all three of these players will be able to step it up.

Jason Peters. He's a vocal leader. I like how he's a fighter, and he likes to bring the pain with his game and takes the lead as a veteran leader with experience. And he's down to win. I want to see him get more involved against the Rams, who I think we can beat. No way they target Cooper Kupp 19 times and Diggs not eat. The thing with the Rams is that they like to get rid of the ball fast, no Romo juking around; it's really just Stafford taking a few steps, and mostly getting rid of the ball, scheming ways to get it to Kupp.

Peyton Hendershot is starting to get more recognition from opposing teams, because he's a big target who's difficult to take down sometimes. He needs to be a factor against the Rams.

To be successful, the Cowboys need several plays that are designed to scheme around each player: Gallup, Lamb, Brown, Hendershot, Schultz, etc.

Getting everyone involved will help them stay unpredictable.

In the past, Dak does well spreading the ball around and getting everyone involved. We've got to continue changing up our pre-snap motions every week and game planning ways to stay unpredictable, which we've done a good job of so far. And we should simplify our playbook each game, but have plays designed for each player.

If we're to beat the Rams, like we beat the WFTs, Michael Gallup will need to be the x-factor.
Those are good choices, but I also think Cooper has to "step up". If he can elevate his play even just a bit...it might make all the difference in the world. Keep our D on the sideline!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Not sure Hendershot belongs in that conversation yet. With Schultz back, his role will be very limited. We may be ready, though, to give both Peters and Gallup more playing time.

Thing is, I did like the tight end play better in the game Schultz missed. Ferguson looks to be quite a bit better as a blocker, and Hendershot seems to be a better downfield threat.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Not sure Hendershot belongs in that conversation yet. With Schultz back, his role will be very limited. We may be ready, though, to give both Peters and Gallup more playing time.

Even if he's just a dummy, you want to involve all of our TEs, because they have to be accounted for. You can't just hand it to Zeke and Pollard and expect CeeDee to be open. You have to make everyone part of the game.

The way I see it, Hendershot is in the conversation. Because I think he's part of the game plan this season, mostly because he's a sure-handed target and poses a danger on short yardage situations. Like Brown, he's not easy to bring down.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Even if he's just a dummy, you want to involve all of our TEs, because they have to be accounted for. You can't just hand it to Zeke and Pollard and expect CeeDee to be open. You have to make everyone part of the game.

The way I see it, Hendershot is in the conversation. Because I think he's part of the game plan this season, mostly because he's a sure-handed target and poses a danger on short yardage situations. Like Brown, he's not easy to bring down.

Hendershot played four snaps on offense against Washington. With Schultz back, it's not likely he gets much more than that unless he just does something that's too hard to ignore on those four snaps.

Peters is likely to eventually take over at left guard because we know he's better than anything else we've got at the position. Gallup is the No. 2 receiver, so that role is waiting on him. Hendershot will have to earn his way up, and he's not going to get a whole lot of chances to do it. Next season, we're likely to let Schultz go and Hendershot will get a real shot at making an impact.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We've already seen Tyler Smith enter the scene and look like a seasoned vet at left tackle from the start. nd, as the year goes on, if we're to compete in the playoffs. And I think all three of these players will be able to step it up.

Jason Peters. And he's down to win. I want to see him get more involved against the Rams, who I think we can beat.

No way they target Cooper Kupp 19 times and Diggs not eat.

Peyton Hendershot is starting to get more recognition from opposing teams, because he's a big target who's difficult to take down sometimes.

I would like to see more snaps for Hendershot and less for Schultz.
- However, I don't see that Hendershot if getting more recognition from opposing teams.
  • Hendershot Snaps per Game
    • 2, zero targets
    • 7, zero targets
    • 38, 3 catches on 3 targets
    • 4, targets
  • Schultz
    • G#
    • 1, 100% of snaps, 7 catches on 9 targets.
    • 2, 90% of snaps, 2 catches on 4 targets.
    • 4, 90% of snaps, 0 catches on 3 targets
  • Ferguson Snap% per Game catches/targets
    • 16%, zero
    • 56%, zero,
    • 83%, 2/3
    • 28%, 1/1
  • Jason Peters
    • 14 snaps in game 3
    • 21 snaps in game 4
    • 28 snaps projected for game 5 based on snap number increase
    • 32 snaps projected based on percent snaps number increase
  • Gallup vs WFT
    • 39 snaps
    • 2 receptions on 4 targets
    • averaged ~4 receptions per game in 2021 and 2022.
  • Diggs
    • He normally does not following the top receiver (i.e. He generally plays Right CB).

blueblood70

Reaction score
I would like to see more snaps for Hendershot and less for Schultz.
- However, I don't see that Hendershot if getting more recognition from opposing teams.
  • Hendershot Snaps per Game
    • 2, zero targets
    • 7, zero targets
    • 38, 3 catches on 3 targets
    • 4, targets
  • Schultz
    • G#
    • 1, 100% of snaps, 7 catches on 9 targets.
    • 2, 90% of snaps, 2 catches on 4 targets.
    • 4, 90% of snaps, 0 catches on 3 targets
  • Ferguson Snap% per Game catches/targets
    • 16%, zero
    • 56%, zero,
    • 83%, 2/3
    • 28%, 1/1
  • Jason Peters
    • 14 snaps in game 3
    • 21 snaps in game 4
    • 28 snaps projected for game 5 based on snap number increase
    • 32 snaps projected based on percent snaps number increase
  • Gallup vs WFT
    • 39 snaps
    • 2 receptions on 4 targets
    • averaged ~4 receptions per game in 2021 and 2022.
  • Diggs
    • He normally does not following the top receiver (i.e. He generally plays Right CB).
Great share, however, regardless of targets i feel Furgeson and Hendershot help block better , seems far more important than the catches at this point. rush with more time and more holes for our Rbs , ill take that alone.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Joe Philbin is really doing this Offense a disservice. He should have never benched Matt Farniok, especially when it comes to running the ball. When Farniok and Tyler Smith were both starting next to each other the first 3 games on the left side of the Oline, the Cowboys were running the ball at will especially to their left side. Last week, Philbin decided to listen to the masses crowing for Peters, so Philbin benched Farniok pregame and decided to alternately start both McGovern and Peters at Left Guard. HUGE MISTAKE! We all saw the huge lack of running to the left side compared to the previous 3 games where Farniok and Smith are younger, more agile and more athletic in their duo team play. I believe with Aaron Donald and his Dline partners being very agile, strong, quick and athletic in their play, it would be smart to start the more athletic Farniok at Left Guard teamed up next to rookie but athletic Tyler Smith at Left Tackle just like the Oline was trucking well on the ground those first 3 games.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Tyler didn't have a very good game last week. If you get a chance watch the All 22. Not saying he's a bum because he's definitely exceeded expectations, but, "the offense goes as Tyler Smith goes," would be part of why they only had 62 yards rushing.

Again, he's doing well for a rookie but it's not like he's looking All Pro out there.
Washington DTs are good, in fact their D line overall , but our OL kept Rush upright mostly, obviously it is a learning experience and Tyler if he is as smart as they say , will learn from this and improve

Reactions: BAT

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
To tell you the truth I did not expect much from Jason Peters, I was under the impression he is done..the man still great glad we have him.

Brooksey

Reaction score

Tyler faced one the better defensive fronts against the run last week, he missed a few blocks in the run game, he bounced a few runs too,
and the rookie gave up zero sacks

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm not sure it's a trend, or if I have it right...but I like the way Hendershot plays the sidelines. Not sure I've seen Schultz do that much.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Peters is out of shape, probably will keep rotating with McGovern until the last quarter of the season, even by then we might got a healthy Tyron, so who know what they gonna do then.