Twitter: Jason Whitlock bold prediction, Luck return in 2 years to play for the Cowboys

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
General forum question:

Does anyone know if it is possible for a team to trade a draft pick for the rights to a player? Specifically in this case, a retired player?

I know the Cowboys have done things like this in the past with guys like Staubach and Herschel Walker, but I wonder if the same toe of deal would apply to a retired player's rights?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
General forum question:

Does anyone know if it is possible for a team to trade a draft pick for the rights to a player? Specifically in this case, a retired player?

I know the Cowboys have done things like this in the past with guys like Staubach and Herschel Walker, but I wonder if the same toe of deal would apply to a retired player's rights?
that is how they got McClain, but colts would want a high pick for luck.

irishline

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
General forum question:

They didn't trade a team picks for either of those two, they just drafted them to obtain their rights in case the ended up playing in the NFL. They did the same thing with Carl Lewis (though he never suited up). That said, I believe they traded for the rights to Rolando McClain so it would be possible.

edit: https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/rolando-mcclain-traded-cowboys/story?id=24387578

"The Dallas Cowboys completed a trade with the Baltimore Ravens on Tuesday to acquire linebacker Rolando McClain, who will come out of retirement."

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL......wonder what suppose to happen to Dak

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:@ Jason Whitlock.

oh man. Do not have a clue where I will be in two years. But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me be here in two years AND remember Whitlock's comments.

Then again... I wonder if Jerry Jones will be here in two years also?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let Jerry Jones AND me be here in two years AND remember Whitlock's comments. Guy has no clue. :laugh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Luck is gone for good.
That is the vibe I am getting from Luck. However, in the off chance Luck does have a change of heart down the road, I doubt Whitlock's prediction has any viable opportunity of becoming a reality.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
As much as I liked Luck coming out of school and in the several healthy seasons he had with the Colts, I'm choosing the QB that's available 100% of the time, even if it is Dak.

I don't want a Romo 2.0 situation in Dallas where this team is held hostage when he goes down with injury.

Beaker42

Reaction score
General forum question:

AFAIK, the Colts would retain his rights for what time’s left on the contract he retired under. We’d have to trade for him.