Twitter: Jason Whitlock bold prediction, Luck return in 2 years to play for the Cowboys

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AFAIK, the Colts would retain his rights for what time’s left on the contract he retired under. We’d have to trade for him.

Yes, that's understood. I was just wondering if a team had actually traded for a retired players rights before. And we did recently with Rolando McClain. I had forgotten about him.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Give me Dak over Luck any day. With Luck’s injury history we would end up having to start Rush or White.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
General forum question:

Does anyone know if it is possible for a team to trade a draft pick for the rights to a player? Specifically in this case, a retired player?

I know the Cowboys have done things like this in the past with guys like Staubach and Herschel Walker, but I wonder if the same toe of deal would apply to a retired player's rights?

Yes, Eagles tried it for Calvin Johnson during their Super Bowl run.

Bucs actually did it for retired Jake Plummer, traded a second for his rights and he never came out of retirement.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
LOL......wonder what suppose to happen to Dak

Anyone who doesn't think Dak is going to get a franchise-level contact to be the quarterback of this team for the foreseeable future is fooling themselves. Even those of us who want Dallas to wait a year and give him a chance to prove consistency know the Cowboys are going to re-sign him eventually.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, Eagles tried it for Calvin Johnson during their Super Bowl run.

Bucs actually did it for retired Jake Plummer, traded a second for his rights and he never came out of retirement.

I'm not sure about the deal on Plummer. I think he threatened to retire if he was traded and they did it anyway and then he followed through on the threat.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
LOL......wonder what suppose to happen to Dak

Man, when does this season start? These talking heads trying to be relevant. They say anything. Luck is under contract with the Colts until 2021. He can't just join the Cowboys. Also is there any precedent for a player not playing TWO years and just coming back? There is none. So Luck doesn't play for 2 years. 31 years old. Injury history. Comes back and leads the Cowboys to the promised land. Pure fantasy. That is analysis??? Man how far that business has fallen.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would Dallas trade a draft pick for Luck instead of drafting a young top QB coming out.
That is if Dak does not sign and leaves via FA. But all that depends on how he does this season.

In 2 years Dallas can draft Trevor Lawrence. Dak leaves next year, play a scrub QB, as Rush is also a FA after this year. Tank, draft Lawrence.
No need for luck, except bad luck to get the #1 overall pick. :muttley:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't think Dak is going to get a franchise-level contact to be the quarterback of this team for the foreseeable future is fooling themselves. Even those of us who want Dallas to wait a year and give him a chance to prove consistency know the Cowboys are going to re-sign him eventually.

1000%.....No question he IS the future and face of the Cowboys. Remember last year/season when Jerry and Stephen couldn't hide their excitement about giving him a long-term deal? He ain't no where they are 1000% sold.

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Colts have a horse shoe up their A**.. Watch them tank next year and end up with T. Lawrence..

Hadenough

Reaction score
I wonder if I could order a custom Dallas Cowboys Jersey with Luck's name and number 12 on it.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Sure, why not?

We can also get Calvin Johnson and Patrick Willis and we'd for sure win the 2013 Super Bowl.