Jason Witten - now ranked 4th among TEs this season

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te/2019

On a DYAR basis, Jason Witten is ranked as the #4 TE so far this season.

Long story short, don't doubt the all-time greats. If he keeps this up, he easily has another season or two to go.

Tight ends are ranked according to DYAR, or Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. This gives the value of the performance on plays where this TE caught the ball, compared to a replacement-level TE in the same game situations and then translated into yardage. DYAR (and its cousin, YAR, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) is further explained here.

J12B

Reaction score
I have no idea how he does it...

That fumble in the Sainte game did really hurt the the team

Hardline

Reaction score
I hate to tell everyone I told you so

But I told you so.

I got mocked for saying this was going to happen.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score

But I told you so.

I said the same.. People just want young blood.

Jason is arguably the greatest at his position of all-time, without dispute he is top 3 of all-time. Those that expected him to be worse than Jarwin were not looking at it holistically.

Though, I must say, #4 in the league is a bit of a surprise. I was expecting more in the #8 - #12 range.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

But I told you so.

I'm kinda with you here. I mean, I don't know how long he can do it but I'm kinda surprised that anybody is surprised. When Witten left, he was getting open and enjoyed a Pro Bowl season, with nobody to take pressure off of him at WR. He's never been fast, he's always been slow, and yet he's always made plays. What's changed? He's not faster but you know he doesn't need to be fast to get open. He still remembers how to play and he's got a much better WRing core, a more experienced QB, to open up the field even more. I'm not surprised at all, to be honest.

Good for him.......

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Witten's not what he once was as a receiver or blocker, but even when he retired, he was still better than most of the starting tight ends in the league (and he's still playing on that level). The problem is that most aren't satisfied with "better than most." They want a Witten in his prime, which was elite level. Maybe that's Witten's fault. He spoiled us into thinking we're always supposed to have one of those.

Hopefully, we'll find another prime Witten one day, but probably what we're getting from him now is about what we can expect from any TE unless we are very fortunate.

starfan1

Reaction score
I got to admit I was wrong. I do however think that Jarwin on certain routes would be better served. That said when i need a touchdown or a first down its good to have the old vet

J-man

Reaction score
Not to bash Wit, I love the guy and think he's an all time great Cowboy who is a sure fire lock for the HOF. And I'm not saying anything about playing Jarwin over him or anything like that, but I'm curious, he's 4th in what exactly? IMHO, he's been ok, not great and maybe just barely considered good compared to some other TE's around the league this year.

According to NFL stats he's:

8th in receptions- 26 (#1 has 46)
10th in total yds- 263 (#1 has 541)
12th yds/gm- 37.6 (#1 has 85.7)
T7 for TD's- 2 (#1- 2 guys with 4)
20th for longest rec- 33yds (#1- 75yds)
T24th for 20+yds rec- 2 (#1 has 10)
11 TE's have a fumble (he's 1)

And FYI, in my fantasy league he's the 11th ranked TE with 53.53 pts. (#1 has 108.07pts)

Hey don't get me wrong those numbers certainly aren't bad for a guy his age especially after missing an entire year.

Don't attack me cause you love Witten and want to act like I don't. I'm just pointing out that he may not be having as great a year as some of ya'll maybe thinking he is.
An ok/good year sure, but nothing special so far. I hope he lights it up and catches another 75 balls for 600yds with 15 TD's, but I doubt that will be the case.