Twitter: Jason Witten on Dak

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Biased or a hater - oh please - you guys kill me!

Just basic observations.....

2016-78.8
2017-69.5
2018-58.8

By the NFL's rating system its
2016-104.9
2017-86.6
2018-96.9

I admittedly don't know how things are calculated under the other system, but it seems very odd that Dak's rating could have dropped that much from 2017 to 2018. His completion % was higher, his yardage totals were higher, his INT ratio was lower, his TD ratio was higher, his yards per game, yards per attempt and yards per catch were higher, his game winning drives were higher … That system must put a lot of weight in fumbles and sacks, because those are the only stats where Dak was worse.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hopefully his work ethic, overcomes is natural shortcomings. I am a believer that the body is subordinate to the mind, if you are strong enough mentally you can and will overcome all obstacles.
Not the size of the boat, it's the motion in the ocean!!!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've never paid much attention to these interviews with a player talking about another player on the same team. They rarely dish out dirty laundry and the praise is too often exaggerated. You just aren't going to get their true thoughts. For example, you aren't going to hear Witten say he wishes Dak could do this or that as Romo could.
But you're not trying to use everything you can find to support your belief about this QB. That's what half the stuff on this forum is about and I have yet to see one poster change their stance about Prescott.

I am a middle grounder with him. He does some good things and not so good things, like 6 fumbles, but I am accepting of the probability he's the best QB we're going to get for the next 4-5 years.

I am also open to changing my opinion but not based on what some player says, we will all get to see him play and we can judge for ourselves if he has improved or not and no one else's opinion should matter. Why does anyone here care what anyone else here thinks about Dak Prescott? So some take shots, so what? Are some his assigned defenders like Romo had? Prescott neither owes you money, took your girl or saved your dog from a house fire.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yep but I did notice the passer part of QB wasn't addressed. And I find that strange because he was touting that in camp, he was one of the more vocal supporters about that but then the reporters gave their grade and basically went the other way on that. I would have thought he would choose to support that and refute their opinions but he didn't. Witten is more than aware of the major questions about his QB and it's not leadership or work ethic.

This is tantamount to the girl describing the blind date she wants to fix you up with.

"What does she look like?"
"She makes her own clothes".
"She's a great cook".
"She's got a wonderful personality".
"She spends 20 hours a week doing charitable work"

Chances are if you aren't getting your question asked, there's a very good reason.
Yeah, I wouldn't read that far into what he "didn't" say.

Ken

Reaction score
while I do like hearing about Dak's great leadership skills,,,, over and over again,,,, what I really want to hear about are his great strides in passing the football.
He said "Everything was on another level"...

He talked about his improvement in passing and anticipation before camp, if you have to hear it..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But you're not trying to use everything you can find to support your belief about this QB. That's what half the stuff on this forum is about and I have yet to see one poster change their stance about Prescott.

I am a middle grounder with him. He does some good things and not so good things, like 6 fumbles, but I am accepting of the probability he's the best QB we're going to get for the next 4-5 years.

I am also open to changing my opinion but not based on what some player says, we will all get to see him play and we can judge for ourselves if he has improved or not and no one else's opinion should matter. Why does anyone here care what anyone else here thinks about Dak Prescott? So some take shots, so what? Are some his assigned defenders like Romo had? Prescott neither owes you money, took your girl or saved your dog from a house fire.
Of course our opinion shouldn't change based on Witten says. Witten's words should provide added hope that Dak is getting better, but we all should understand it still has to be proven on the field.

By the way, are you sure Dak didn't take PAPPYDOG'S girl?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course our opinion shouldn't change based on Witten says. Witten's words should provide added hope that Dak is getting better, but we all should understand it still has to be proven on the field.

By the way, are you sure Dak didn't take PAPPYDOG'S girl?
LOL, not sure but I know Romo owed America's Cowboy money and he never paid it.

aikemirv

Reaction score
By the NFL's rating system its
2016-104.9
2017-86.6
2018-96.9

I admittedly don't know how things are calculated under the other system, but it seems very odd that Dak's rating could have dropped that much from 2017 to 2018. His completion % was higher, his yardage totals were higher, his INT ratio was lower, his TD ratio was higher, his yards per game, yards per attempt and yards per catch were higher, his game winning drives were higher … That system must put a lot of weight in fumbles and sacks, because those are the only stats where Dak was worse.

Yeah, I don't really know either - I find that odd. From a pure look at the stats he improved from 2017 to 2018. I have no inclination to read how the QBR is calculated - I don't have that much invested in it and don't really care if I win Cowboyszone arguments that much so I will let that be. I thought he played better in 2018 than 2017 but not near as good as 2016 in which I thought his play was excellent.

Honestly his pocket presence is my biggest gripe! I don't think he has elite skills as a passer but his decision making covers for a lot of his deficiencies as a passer. Obviously we can win with him, and depending on team performance, we could probably win a Super Bowl if he was playing at his current top level (which he shows at times). As a pure passer however, he leaves a lot to be desired and not that much fun to watch.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I wouldn't read that far into what he "didn't" say.
But that's what I do, always have. I read between the lines and listen for what's not there. Hard to break the habit teaching salespeople to do that for most of my life.

What I see is that he's a leader, hard worker and has a personal relationship with all of the players but I didn't see pocket presence, ball protection and hitting all the passes but we will all get to see that very soon.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I don't really know either - I find that odd. From a pure look at the stats he improved from 2017 to 2018. I have no inclination to read how the QBR is calculated - I don't have that much invested in it and don't really care if I win Cowboyszone arguments that much so I will let that be. I thought he played better in 2018 than 2017 but not near as good as 2016 in which I thought his play was excellent.

Honestly his pocket presence is my biggest gripe! I don't think he has elite skills as a passer but his decision making covers for a lot of his deficiencies as a passer. Obviously we can win with him, and depending on team performance, we could probably win a Super Bowl if he was playing at his current top level (which he shows at times). As a pure passer however, he leaves a lot to be desired and not that much fun to watch.

This seems to be a pretty fair and well considered viewpoint. I'll never understand folks that demand a determination that a player is great or terrible. Most players (as with most things) are somewhere in the middle.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really? What's the story there?
AC was the Chairman of the Board of the RomoRooters on the old DC.com site. I used to joke with him about Romo owing him money. His dislike for Romo was intense. He would never cut him any slack wither, he was consistent.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This seems to be a pretty fair and well considered viewpoint. I'll never understand folks that demand a determination that a player is great or terrible. Most players (as with most things) are somewhere in the middle.
And dependent on other players to take them to that great level. We consider Roger and Troy great but look around them. Look around Bradshaw, Montana and Brady.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
But that's what I do, always have. I read between the lines and listen for what's not there. Hard to break the habit teaching salespeople to do that for most of my life.

What I see is that he's a leader, hard worker and has a personal relationship with all of the players but I didn't see pocket presence, ball protection and hitting all the passes but we will all get to see that very soon.
I have to believe that as far as Prescott goes, he's made improvements as we've heard from sources throughout the off season. And, he's gotten better every year, so to me it's not unrealistic to assume he's more polished. Earlier, it was mentioned he's improved his accuracy and defensive reading.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has Witten ever not had glowing praise for someone?

Ask Martellus. Or Rico.

As a matter of fact, has he *ever* had glowing praise like this for another teammate? I'm not sure I remember it if he has.

kumizi

Reaction score
We all agree Dak has all the intangibles you want in your QB. That’s not what’s in question.

The question is does he have the arm talent to throw for 4500 yards and 40 TDs if Zeke tears his ACL tomorrow?

The question is do you want to pay a game manager $35 million per year and $110 million guaranteed?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AC was the Chairman of the Board of the RomoRooters on the old DC.com site. I used to joke with him about Romo owing him money. His dislike for Romo was intense. He would never cut him any slack wither, he was consistent.

lol. Well, I guess PAPPYDOG is that guy with Dak.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He said "Everything was on another level"...

He talked about his improvement in passing and anticipation before camp, if you have to hear it..

Like I said,,, THAT'S what I want to hear about and see, the whole leadership thing is great but it's old news and not what Cowboy fans are wondering about.