Jason Witten question?

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Are you really insinuating that Witten used steroids? Lol
I have no idea. If I was betting the farm, I'd say 99.9999% of all NFL players use enhancers at a minimum. And they have been since the 1970's. What's new? Witten is a class act, he's genetically a God, but would he exist pre-special added agents the way he was during his career? Who knows, doubtful.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Hola, Cowboy fans!! My question is do you think that Jason Witten would have still retired if he thought there was a chance that we could be where we are right now? Did he retire because he knew he wouldn't have a chance at the prize? Is he kicking himself right now? Your thoughts?

Nick Eatman said the scuttlebutt he heard around the team was that he wasn’t confident on the prospects of a successful season in 2018 with Garrett and Dak.

That was said on the Break 2-3 days ago.

Last edited:

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Witten replaced Jon Gruden in the MNF booth and was paid top dollar to do so. Gruden got $100 million to coach Oakland again.

Gruden cleans house for the Raiders and sends the Cowboys Amari Cooper.

Everybody wins, everybody's happy!:dance:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Rumor is Witten tested positive for minoxidil this offseason which led to his abrupt retirement.

Zordon

Reaction score
Nick Eatman said the scuttlebutt he heard around the team was the Dak wasn’t confident on the prospects of a successful season in 2018 with Garrett and Dak.

That was said on the Break 2-3 days ago.
If that's the case, I'm glad they turned him down when he reached out to the team a few weeks ago.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Rumor is Witten tested positive for minoxidil this offseason which led to his abrupt retirement.
You can make all the jokes you want, I know better. LOL. I've been around, I know what goes on out there. And again, I am NOT singling out Witten. I'm a huge Witten fan.

Most of these guys today are doing GH, AKA, HGH, Human growth hormone. Not really a steroid per say. Some also use things like HGH and HCG, to drive up testosterone. Those who do not want to go the entire replacement with steroid approach and have crash sessions when testing would come about. Some just slip and slide testing protocols and run cycles and ride out the lows and will use them all. TRT, Tren, Masteron, you name it. But most are doing something.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You can make all the jokes you want, I know better. LOL. I've been around, I know what goes on out there. And again, I am NOT singling out Witten. I'm a huge Witten fan.

Most of these guys today are doing GH, AKA, HGH, Human growth hormone. Not really a steroid per say. Some also use things like HGH and HCG, to drive up testosterone. Those who do not want to go the entire replacement with steroid approach and have crash sessions when testing would come about. Some just slip and slide testing protocols and run cycles and ride out the lows and will use them all. TRT, Tren, Masteron, you name it. But most are doing something.

I’m telling you he went with the two pronged approach of minoxidil and finasteride.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Hola, Cowboy fans!! My question is do you think that Jason Witten would have still retired if he thought there was a chance that we could be where we are right now? Did he retire because he knew he wouldn't have a chance at the prize? Is he kicking himself right now? Your thoughts?
Was probably aware that the TV gig was a once in a lifetime deal. Good for him. He made the right move for his family and future. Smart guy.

Xeven

Reaction score
Yes I think he is regretting it. In fact I think he could have been an X-Factor here in the play offs. No way he could know the defense was going to come together like this.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have always been a fan of Jason Witten and it is possible had he known the team would do this well, he might have stayed at least one more season.

That said, I think its a fair question to ask this ..

If Witten had stayed with the Cowboys, would they have been as successful this season as they have been?

I believe the answer is no. I think he was still a good player, but I think having him would have made the team just a little better to the point that it would have been harder decision for Jerry to go after Amari Cooper with a first round pick which is what it would take. Even more, I believe that a lot of the bigger plays Dak has made this year would have instead been dump offs to Witten and less successful conversions if he had remained on the team.

As I said, I say this without any bias or agenda against Witten. Even at his age, I think he would have still had a good (not great) year for the Cowboys, but I do not think the Cowboys would be sitting where they are right now had he stayed on the team.
It's possible that you're right, but if we could get one of our TEs to do what he used to do, now that the offense has figured out other options, it would be a great tool to move the chains when those other options aren't readily available.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’d say we’d have been better off replacing him before 2017. He was an all time great, but was a major offensive limitation at times. He wouldn’t take reduced snaps either, so we really couldn’t groom his replacement.

He also left us days after the draft, so that kind of rubbed me the wrong way.
I'm sure the FO knew before the draft.

Reaction score
He was staticisically the ninth best TE in the league. He in fact was out performing 90% of TEs or I wouldn't have posted what I did...
I was wrong He was 7th so my point still stands
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...&statisticPositionCategory=TIGHT_END&tabSeq=1

Lol, you think 7th in receptions made him 7th best TE in football?

Yards: 12th
YPC: Of the top 25 in yards, he was one of only 3 guys with lower than 9 YPC.
1st downs: 15th
1st down %: 14th, and he was about 20% lower than the top TEs.

So yeah, he was about the 15th best TE last year, like I said.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think he retired instead of being released or told that he was going to have a much more limited role in the offense.

Hardline

Reaction score
Lol, you think 7th in receptions made him 7th best TE in football?

Yards: 12th
YPC: Of the top 25 in yards, he was one of only 3 guys with lower than 9 YPC.
1st downs: 15th
1st down %: 14th, and he was about 20% lower than the top TEs.

So yeah, he was about the 15th best TE last year, like I said.
All the statistical categories are factored in to give Witten that ranking. It's not only catching.

Last edited:
Reaction score
All the statistical categories are factored in to give Witten that ranking. It's not only catching.

Explain how you got there then. If he's 7th in catches, 12th in yards, in the 20s in YPC, 15th in 1st downs, 14th in 1st down percentage and way worse than the top guys, how do you land at him being the 7th best TE last year?

Hardline

Reaction score
Explain how you got there then. If he's 7th in catches, 12th in yards, in the 20s in YPC, 15th in 1st downs, 14th in 1st down percentage and way worse than the top guys, how do you land at him being the 7th best TE last year?
I won't accept your numbers unless you post them from a credible source . My link shows more than just catching.