Jay Ratliff said he was worn down mentally and physically

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Seven;2414196 said:
Didn't bother him last year. Which by the way, makes me wonder what's different. TC perhaps? Walk-thru practices two out of the three days they actually practice? Very little contact?

Good point.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2413352 said:
I agree KD, totally,

but remember good ole wade said he didnt like big huge NTs, he likes smaller quicker NT's but thats where i disagree with wade, the NT has to tie up the center and guard so the linebackers can flow to the football, smaller NTs get pushed around

I don't recall Wade exactly saying that. And he would be fibbing if he was. This is the same guy that loved Jammal Williams and Ted Washington and those guys haven't been small since 7th grade.

Wade wants guys that can shoot the gaps in the scheme properly instead of the typical 2 gap 3-4 scheme which requires the D-Line to read and react and hold their ground. You can be effective with a behometh NT in either scheme. However, in Wade's type of scheme you can actually get away with an undersized, but quicker NT...really can't do that in the 2 gap scheme. The Ravens have been doing it for year with Kelly Gregg who is smaller than Ratliff.

I'd like to see Ratliff at DE as well, but just because he's good (I think he's great) at NT, doesn't mean he'll easily transition to DE. Dallas needs to look at DE's either way since I'm not sure Canty will be back (he's been awful this year) and they don't have a lot of depth as Hatcher has been okay and Bowen has been banged up but tends to struggle against the run. Of course, all of this could've been changed if Tank Johnson would step up his level of play. I'd love to see Dallas get a quality NT and DE in the offseason...be it FA or the draft. Perhaps if Marcus Dixon steps up his game, that would resolve one issue (lack of DE depth).

YAKUZA

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Future;2414141 said:
What exactly was he worn down from? Half a season? What a pu...pansy.

You try going through TC and then preseason and then playing 9 straight weeks in a row. I'm not complaining about the bye week because as far as I'm concerned it came at the right time (plus I prefer a late bye week)...but players...particularly NT's....tend to get worn down after that much time without a bye.

That's why they have them.

YAKUZA

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Seven;2414196 said:
Didn't bother him last year. Which by the way, makes me wonder what's different. TC perhaps? Walk-thru practices two out of the three days they actually practice? Very little contact?

It didn't bother him last year cuz we played with a lead more often last year. He didn't have to fight off double teams in the run game as often last year.

He's not a NG. He should be at DE. Jerry Jones is a moron for releasing Ferguson.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2413392 said:
well i read a few months ago, a media writer asked wade about having a bigger NT, and wade said, i like the smaller quicker NTs, thats what i read, and heard

No, you didn't. Wade didn't say that.

Reaction score
I've been harping on this for over a year. Ratliff is a DE, not a NT. He does an admirable job there just because he is a fine athlete & a team player. We need more beef in the middle. NT is the most important position on a 3-4 defense, so we need a great player with more size manning it. That would free Ratliff up to move to his more natural position at DE. Tank Johnson just doesn't penetrate enough to start, but he could still come in on rotations. There are several players in the draft who will be available in the second round next year who could dominate on the next level.

Backup QB is the weakest position on the team, but we would be much better served getting a veteran in free agency. Then, we can draft a QB further down in the draft to groom for the third string position.

No offense, cowboyjoe, but if you would like, I can give you some lessons on punctuation and capitalization. I author a column in Draftblitz, and I would love to help you out. Let me know.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Rack;2414345 said:
It didn't bother him last year cuz we played with a lead more often last year. He didn't have to fight off double teams in the run game as often last year.

That makes sense............

Rack;2414345 said:
He's not a NG. He should be at DE. Jerry Jones is a moron for releasing Ferguson.

I would 've like to of seen Ratliff give DE a concerted effort rather than try it three times and decide not to like it.

Rack;2414345 said:
Jerry Jones is a moron

Yep................

Tobal

Reaction score
Our offense controlled the clock last yr and teams were often behind us.... that's much different than this yr

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;2414325 said:
You try going through TC and then preseason and then playing 9 straight weeks in a row. I'm not complaining about the bye week because as far as I'm concerned it came at the right time (plus I prefer a late bye week)...but players...particularly NT's....tend to get worn down after that much time without a bye.

That's why they have them.
We had the softest training camp in the league.

Being worn down is an excuse...just another one coming from this chicken little defense.

Its one thing to blame a system, not understand it, or to say you are underachieving. But to say you are worn down and more-or-less say you can't? :bang2:

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Jay Ratliff on KTBB.com
---------------------------------

I think he is more wore down mentally than physically.

Wade didn't say he doesn't like bigger NT's.

He said he has played with both big and small NT's and he's had success with both. I think he was more or less saying it comes down the individual and that playing NT isn't for everyone.

I don't like hearing this stuff from Rat, but at least his isn't a worry when Sunday rolls around because the kid brings it every game.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Future;2414141 said:
What exactly was he worn down from? Half a season? What a pu...pansy.

Maybe I'm tired and worn down too -- tired and worn down from all the B.S. excuses this team strings together. But that's what you got to love about football, the proof is in the pudding. No one is going to hand you anything -- you need to earn it or go home.

That's what there is to love about football...

...and what we could potentially hate about this team. No proof, all pudding. They had better show some *****' backbone in this game, I don't remmber a whole lot of injuries on the defensive side of the ball and we still got run over by Brandon Jacobs and Co.

And losing to the Giants just makes me sick to my stomach.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Future;2414937 said:
We had the softest training camp in the league.

Being worn down is an excuse...just another one coming from this chicken little defense.

Its one thing to blame a system, not understand it, or to say you are underachieving. But to say you are worn down and more-or-less say you can't? :bang2:

I didn't realize you were privy to all NFL teams TC's. Impressive!

I mean, to pass a sweeping judgment like that, without having intimate knowledge about the exact content of all the TC's would make you an over-exaggerating, agenda-driven armchair coach.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Faerluna;2415053 said:

I mean, to pass a sweeping judgment like that, without having intimate knowledge about the exact content of all the TC's would make you an over-exaggerating, agenda-driven armchair coach.

It was an exaggeration (though I don't think that far-fetched), there is no need to split hairs.

I certainly don't have an agenda, this is probably the first time I've even used the word excuse.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Faerluna;2415053 said:

No, the proof is in the pudding. We just aren't very good right now. And Romo doesn't play defense.