Twitter: Jaylon: “I want to be a Cowboy. I want to be a Cowboy for the rest of my life.”

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I'm sure he would indeed love to be a Cowboy for life, just like Dak and Zeke would love to be Cowboys for life. All you got to do is make them the highest paid QB and RB in the league.

Is Jaylon going to be different and give us a hometown discount? I highly doubt it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Just me but I'm fairly certain he's the fourth large contract Jerry's talking about. Other words I think he and Stephen have decided to build the long-term future of the D around Smith and LVE. DLine will be recycled via the draft. Notice we've drafted DL fairly high the last four years. This kid is everything you want in a player representing the face of the team. Bottom line, he's a keeper and no way in hell Jerry will not resign him.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I'm sure he would indeed love to be a Cowboy for life, just like Dak and Zeke would love to be Cowboys for life. All you got to do is make them the highest paid QB and RB in the league.

Is Jaylon going to be different and give us a hometown discount? I highly doubt it.

Not a huge one but I doubt he demands to be the highest paid LBers. I suspect he would except top 5 money.

Scotman

Reaction score
I don't think this is just talking for him. I believe him. And I believe Jones will make him a wealthy, wealthy man.

Quickly becoming one of my favorite players of all time.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
haven't heard Zeke say anything about wanting to play and be a Cowboy...Dak has shown up, so has Cooper. If anybody flies the coop it's Zeke at first chance

And he’ll more than likely be the first to be cut if he stops meeting expectations.

HanD

Reaction score
And he’ll more than likely be the first to be cut if he stops meeting expectations.

and that's the normal contract parameters for almost all nfl contracts. these athletes aren't signing these deals not knowing that right? they prefer to sign those types of deals for more money instead of taking less and asking for a fully guaranteed deal like kirk cousins got recently. you want more security and stability with your contract, take a bit less. give and take negotiations.

John813

Reaction score

Unfortunately that's life for 98% of players. Very few go out on top and retire after a ring or voluntarily retire.
Most get the pink slip at their locker, no matter if they were some marginal player, a long time starter or a fan favorite.

cern

Reaction score
Tell ya what, I need this. I am so damned tired of all this money talk and the constant reminder of the mercenary status of the game.

Tell ya something else, I don't care if it's BS, I am going to buy in until I know different. I've watched a lot of drafts but I have never stood up and fist pumped but for one pick, Jaylon Smith. The way he celebrated and his family responded, I said to myself "yeah, this is what it's all about, this is what it's always supposed to be about, young men chasing dreams".

He might just be that guy that does give a team friendly deal, Big Smitty did because of how they helped with his parasitic family members. He also knows the Cowboys will not try to take advantage of that loyalty he feels. He's already made more money than he would with any other team because the majority wouldn't have taken him in any round, let alone the 2nd.
boy, howdy. how refreshing to hear. and even "team friendly" will be a pretty good salary. also hope endorsements start coming his way. he deserves it.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Unfortunately that's life for 98% of players. Very few go out on top and retire after a ring or voluntarily retire.
Most get the pink slip at their locker, no matter if they were some marginal player, a long time starter or a fan favorite.

Given that what’s the problem with zeke wanting more money?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
You mean before free agency, when players couldn’t choose to go to another team?

Um what? I feel like you're making this into something it's not. You don't even need to go back a decade to find Cowboys players giving hometeam discounts and leaving money on the table.

Don't misunderstand, I have no problem with players treating this game as a business and getting as much as they can as long as they can, but I feel like it's taken some of the soul out of the game.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Jaylon is likely going to take a deal like we did with Tyron. Very long term with the team being able to use that flexibility to move cap space as needed. This one will come in at 8 years with at least two planned conversions of guaranteed salary to bonus to spread cap hits to years 6-8 as we can.

Sad that greedy players like Dak really makes you doubt the sincerity of his comments.

John813

Reaction score

Nothing. I don't have a strong opinion on either side. Let them work it out and hope hes back shortly.

(Just got off Anesthesia a bit ago so may no be fully up to par)

HanD

Reaction score

my issue is that these players sign contracts that get millions in signing bonuses. then at the end of the contract we are looking at their base salaries like they are underpaid without taking into account the signing bonus they got originally. Zeke's cap hit is like 8m. to look only at his base salary this year at 3m is a bit skewed imo. he got a 16m signing bonus without ever lacing up cleats.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
my issue is that these players sign contracts that get millions in signing bonuses. then at the end of the contract we are looking at their base salaries like they are underpaid without taking into account the signing bonus they got originally. Zeke's cap hit is like 8m. to look only at his base salary this year at 3m is a bit skewed imo. he got a 16m signing bonus without ever lacing up cleats.

He’s earned a pay raise and if anyone needs to stand up to ownership it’s the rb position.

All this conversation will all be forgotten when jerry remembers he’s all about winning and get the deal worked out when they get back to frisco.

And if not. Then we’ve all been lied to

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Sad that greedy players like Dak really makes you doubt the sincerity of his comments.

Dak wants market value.

He's played under a 4th round contract for the last three years. He's clearly outplayed that deal and wants to be paid like other starting QBs in the league.

That's not greedy.

Y'all whining about "greedy" athletes. Would any of you willingly work for less money than you deserved?

HanD

Reaction score
He’s earned a pay raise and if anyone needs to stand up to ownership it’s the rb position.

All this conversation will all be forgotten when jerry remembers he’s all about winning and get the deal worked out when they get back to frisco.

And if not. Then we’ve all been lied to

dak deserves more of a pay raise than zeke imo. zeke was drafted as the #4 overall pick and paid as such. he's lived up to his billing. when he signed his deal he was paid as a top 3 rb without ever playing a down. he signed a rookie contract and needs to finish it out. i wouldn't mind giving him more money if he wants to extend, but it would have to come at a discount relative to gurley. he shouldn't be the top paid rb if he's extended with 2 years remaining.

from his own draft class, alvin kamara has a bigger gripe than zeke does.