Jaylon Smith 3rd in tackles among all linebackers in NFL

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
well no, not compared to those guys. you are putting out some big time names. but their is an ocean between Jaylon's play and what i'm seeing from other LBers. I don't say this lightly but he is a player that i would cut & feel like whoever replaced him was going to be better. That's how bad i think he is.
We say this....but he’s grading out as our best linebacker on the team...better than LVE and Sean Lee......

Praxit

Reaction score
..gee whizz, mates. Jaylon does a decent job. Has gotten better the last 4-5 games. I know he's not Ray Lewis or Seau, but manages to make stops when they need them.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
oS.gif

Any Forest Gump reference gets like.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We say this....but he’s grading out as our best linebacker on the team...better than LVE and Sean Lee......

At some point you have to have veteran players on your team, can't replace every player that isn't lighting up the league every year. Lee is not really effective anymore, LVE has had injury problems. The others haven't been able to push Smith or even Lee off the field, so how good are they? Then there's the money aspect.

Maybe Smith isn't Lee Roy Jordan or Chuck Howley or such, but somebody has to play the position...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Jaylon Smith is 3rd in tackles (103) among all NFL linebackers and 2nd (39) in assist .

Here is the PFF info
https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/jaylon-smith/10668
Yup. Like a RB getting too many bad carries this is a stat signifying just how terrible the other players are.
No other LB has half Jaylon's snaps and that is truly absurd given the investment made with an R1 and former Pro Bowler behind him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jaylon Smith is 3rd in tackles (103) among all NFL linebackers and 2nd (39) in assist .

Here is the PFF info
but the stats say otherwise...

funny thing about stats...they speak truth.

The leading tackler is almost always a LB or Safety.

Jaylon is the only defensive player that has played over 90% of the snaps.

Only 2 defensive players have played over 75% of the snaps.

It would be almost impossible for Jaylon NOT to be the leading tackler...

• Going by tackles as a percent of snaps played, the players with solo tackles per snap that are in the 7% range:
    • (only players that that have played over 20% of the defensive snaps)
      • Jaylon Smith
      • Donovan Wilson
      • Joe Thomas
      • Leighton Vander Esch

For reference, in 2016 Sean Lee had more solo and total tackles in less snaps played as compared to Jaylon in 2020.
- Lee's solo tackle rate was almost 10%...

jchap

Reaction score
I thought this would be due to the defense being unable to get off the field and having more defensive snaps than most others. Bobby Wagner is at the top of the list of snaps played though.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
At some point you have to have veteran players on your team, can't replace every player that isn't lighting up the league every year. Lee is not really effective anymore, LVE has had injury problems. The others haven't been able to push Smith or even Lee off the field, so how good are they? Then there's the money aspect.

Maybe Smith isn't Lee Roy Jordan or Chuck Howley or such, but somebody has to play the position...

Imo the fact that they wouldn't play in front of Jaylon has little to do with who is actually playing better. They paid Jaylon and sitting him would require admitting they were wrong. They would rather keep playing him and hope for the best. Joe Thomas was the best linebacker for a good part of the year. And Sean Lee had played better than Jaylon at times as well. Also Sean Lee makes whoever else is in there better cause he is the best at diagnosing plays. So even when his individual play isn't the best he is helping the other lbs. Jaylon has played better the last couple games though.

Kaiser

Reaction score
It would be almost impossible for Jaylon NOT to be the leading tackler...

But it wouldn't be possible if Jaylon really did suck as bad as fans claim. If you had Luke Gifford or Kyle Wilber or Justin Durant in that spot this year they wouldn't be anywhere close to those numbers.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why can't Jaylon be where the 300 pound man...ISN'T. Is it that hard to not run directly at a 300 pound man?

I still say there's something wrong with his running and planting. It doesn't look right to me. And I think it's effecting his leverage, speed, and quickness.

Generally, the 300-pound man is where the linebacker wants to go, so you can try to go through him or around him, but either way him being there is effective. Linebackers do manage to dodge linemen or go through them at times, but you're not going to make a living doing that.

Now, this isn't meant to completely absolve Jaylon of his mistakes, both he and LVE have made them. But a lot of times fans are mad because they couldn't get there for the tackle or made the tackle down the field when there's a good reason for it.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Every squirrel get's lucky every once in a while and finds a nut! Smith may be without a doubt the dumbest LB in the league. His reads are fricking horrible, I never watched a LB burst into the wrong gab play after play. It's actually comical to watch him run up the field after a tackle when he's missed or guessed wrong ten thousand times before the tackle.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Here is the PFF info
Smith's inconsistent play is ruffing off on LVE's play this year. They both look like fricking clowns in a circus half the time and to think they were once being label as the next GREAT tandem in this league. The only way to fix this s@#%^t show is to move Smith to the D-Line and start LVE in the middle. This way we can put the weekly dumb and dumber show to bed at the LB spot.

J12B

Reaction score
My main problem with Jaylon is that it seems like he doesn't have good instincts.

He reacts but doesn't anticipate.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But it wouldn't be possible if Jaylon really did suck as bad as fans claim. If you had Luke Gifford or Kyle Wilber or Justin Durant in that spot this year they wouldn't be anywhere close to those numbers.

Tackles are just not a good stat to give much information, IMO.

It shows that Jaylon has avoided missing snaps due to injury which does have value.

Obviously Jaylon is not OT Chaz Green vs Atlanta bad which is what some people at CZ claim; however, I'm not certain that he has been better than Joe Thomas.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Tackles are just not a good stat to give much information, IMO.

It shows that Jaylon has avoided missing snaps due to injury which does have value.

Obviously Jaylon is not OT Chaz Green vs Atlanta bad which is what some people at CZ claim; however, I'm not certain that he has been better than Joe Thomas.

IMO its mostly scheme issues compounded by Jaylon being way too inconsistent because he is gambling too much. I think with a NT up front and a better scheme (or at least these players being comfortable in the current one) Jaylon will look like he did earlier in his career.

Then all the "Jaylon sucks and can't start for any NFL team" posts will go to the way of the "DLaw sucks because he got paid and quit playing" threads from early this season.