Jerrah - We haven't had a 1 WR in years

Batman1980

Reaction score
As the Cowboys’ passing game struggles, Jerry Jones said the team has not had a true No. 1 receiver in “several years,” on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. Dez Bryant’s last big season came in 2014. Jones signed Bryant to a $70 million contract in 2015 but the production dropped and Bryant was released last April. “I’m basically giving you my definition of a No. 1 receiver and it is Julio Jones. It is the guy we played the other night (DeAndre Hopkins),” Jones said. “Those are the guys. There’s not but about a handful of those in the NFL.”

Source - Todd Archer on :espn:

erod

Reaction score
He's actually right about this. Romo made Dez seem like a #1 receiver, but he really wasn't.

There are only 6 in the game. Julio, AB, Hopkins, Thomas, Landry, and perhaps Beckham. No, Green isn't, if you want to count him, that's 7.

And none of those guys have won a Super Bowl.

John813

Reaction score
He's actually right about this. Romo made Dez seem like a #1 receiver, but he really wasn't.

There are only 6 in the game. Julio, AB, Hopkins, Thomas, Landry, and perhaps Beckham. No, Green isn't, if you want to count him, that's 7.

And none of those guys have won a Super Bowl.

I disagree about Landry, but it's a moot point.
Landry was used in Miami in lieu of the run game.
Hence the inflated catch totals.

erod

Reaction score
I disagree about Landry, but it's a moot point.
Landry was used in Miami in lieu of the run game.
Hence the inflated catch totals.
What? Wow.

He has over 300 receptions and 3,000 yards receiving in the past 3 years on a crappier than crappy team.

erod

Reaction score
But since 2014 we have not had a QB, which was Romo's last full year.
Dak and the team looked good in 2016, but since then, nothing.
OK, I misunderstood your post.

We're reaching Defcon 5 here. Garrett, Linehan, gotta go. We need to figure out if White has any future so the offseason plan is more in focus.

Praxit

Reaction score
..Im actually surprised he is saying this. #1 WR's are a conundrum in the NFL> They develop over time, but must also possess the skills/talent. Right now, and I hate to say it, we dont possess that type of receiver.

We basically have route runners and shifty guys. I usually thought good receivers were a dime a dozen. Boy, was I wrong.

John813

Reaction score
What? Wow.

He has over 3,000 yards receiving in the past 3 years on a crappier than crappy team.

Yea.

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/dolphins/jarvis-landry-2017-receptions-chart/

Contextualizing data is just as important as the data itself. Landry has traits similar to a running back – he’s built like a house and runs with a level of intensity not match by his position-mates.

Landry’s 548 yards after the catch accounted for 55.5% of his total yardage. He averaged 4.89 yards after the catch per reception and his average route run went 3.92 yards down the field (for comparison, Kenny Stills was at 11.79).

The Dolphins emphasize these strengths by throwing the football to Landry close to the line of scrimmage – 44.6% of his 112 catches came within three yards of the LOS, and 20.5% were at, or behind the LOS.

The Dolphins red zone offense struggled in 2017, particularly in the ground game. Jarvis Landry is seen as something of an extension or the run game or, in some cases, a substitution for the ground attack. Playing in the condensed, most important area of the field, Adam Gase cooked up some creative designs to get the ball in his best play-maker’s hands.

Dolphins outside of Ajayi's 200 yard games have not had a consistent run game since Ricky/Ronnie Brown.
They schemed Landry to be in motion, and put him in a lot of areas for quick short passes to get 3-6 yards like a running play.
Last year with smoking Jay, he had a career high 9 TDs. Outside of that year his highest total was 5. He is a good receiver between the 20's but isn't a go to TD machine.
He is a very good receiver, but I don't see him on the same level as the others.

Carson

Reaction score
Come on.

Dez had three straight years of 88+ catches, 1200+ yards and 12+ touchdowns.

That’s comparable to any #1 over a three year span.

Julio is a true # one but yet he’s scored what? Three touchdowns since 2017