Jerrah - We haven't had a 1 WR in years

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jesus f’in Christ, does Romo have to be crow barred in every thread on here?

Seriosuly, can we get a separate Romo forum? It’s that bad.

Only if the internet and forums were around in the early 80's. Just think what would be posted about Danny White taking over for Roger Staubach. Especially losing 3 straight NFC Championship games.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He's actually right about this. Romo made Dez seem like a #1 receiver, but he really wasn't.

There are only 6 in the game. Julio, AB, Hopkins, Thomas, Landry, and perhaps Beckham. No, Green isn't, if you want to count him, that's 7.

And none of those guys have won a Super Bowl.
OBJ makes amazing catches from horrible passes that if that were Prescott he'd be murdered in the street.

We need WRs that catch and go get the ball. Even if the pass isn't perfect.

Our WRs are all ****.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Source - Todd Archer on :espn:

In Bryant's last full year with Romo, he caught 88 passes for 1,320 yards ad 16 TDs.

With Romo playing in only four games in 2015 and Bryant fighting through injury, Dez's numbers plummeted (33-401, 3 TDs in nine starts).

Then, Prescott took over and Bryant wasn't able to put up No. 1 receiver numbers for the two years together.

So, the question is whether we no longer had a No. 1 receiver or whether we no longer had a quarterback who could use Bryant as a No. 1 receiver.

I think the answer lies somewhere between. If Romo had remained healthy, Bryant's numbers still probably would have dropped some but not the way they did with Prescott as QB. That's because injuries had started to take a toll on Bryant IMO.

Jerry's observation, though, completely discounts the role that the change in QB played on Bryant's production as a No. 1. The 2015 season is a terrible one to use to judge the receiving corps.

chicago JK

Reaction score
You can argue we don’t currently have even #2 wr this year. Just a horrendous job roster building by this front office. So many holes, little depth and poor coaching to top it off.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone know the combined win-loss records for all of these teams with these "#1 receivers"?

:huh:

I'm gonna venture an uninformed "fan" guess and say that I don't think it's very good.

Legend

Reaction score
He's actually right about this. Romo made Dez seem like a #1 receiver, but he really wasn't.

There are only 6 in the game. Julio, AB, Hopkins, Thomas, Landry, and perhaps Beckham. No, Green isn't, if you want to count him, that's 7.

Julio Jones should of won a SB if not for an epic collapse.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This old fool is getting even more senile. Maybe if they had a coach and GM they wouldn't need Jerry Rice to move the chains.

I don't like Jerry either, but I don't see that he said anything wrong here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In Bryant's last full year with Romo, he caught 88 passes for 1,320 yards ad 16 TDs.

With Romo playing in only four games in 2015 and Bryant fighting through injury, Dez's numbers plummeted (33-401, 3 TDs in nine starts).

Then, Prescott took over and Bryant wasn't able to put up No. 1 receiver numbers for the two years together.

So, the question is whether we no longer had a No. 1 receiver or whether we no longer had a quarterback who could use Bryant as a No. 1 receiver.

I think the answer lies somewhere between. If Romo had remained healthy, Bryant's numbers still probably would have dropped some but not the way they did with Prescott as QB. That's because injuries had started to take a toll on Bryant IMO.

Jerry's observation, though, completely discounts the role that the change in QB played on Bryant's production as a No. 1. The 2015 season is a terrible one to use to judge the receiving corps.

Yes. It reeks of quarterback blinders, like some fans seem to have. Where it can't possibly have anything to do with the quarterback, so we'll use any and all other excuses available. And throw anyone and everyone else we have to under the bus in order to believe our lie.

Doomsay

Reaction score
It's so hard to imagine anybody pulling the trigger on a Cowboys merchandise or ticket purchase at this point. There must be some behavior altering financial repercussions at some point, right?

Legend

Reaction score
A true #1 WR T.O. made things a lot easier for Romo during his first 3 years as a starter.

Look at how open T.O. got.

In year 3 for Dak, Beasley a true #3 is the Cowboys best receiver... That is not fair.

erod

Reaction score
OBJ makes amazing catches from horrible passes that if that were Prescott he'd be murdered in the street.

We need WRs that catch and go get the ball. Even if the pass isn't perfect.

Our WRs are all ****.

We could have Julio, AB, and Hopkins, and it would barely matter.

John813

Reaction score
Anyone know the combined win-loss records for all of these teams with these "#1 receivers"?

:huh:

I'm gonna venture an uninformed "fan" guess and say that I don't think it's very good.

Well, Julio and AB are on playoff teams.
Then you got guys on Garrett level teams, aka .500 and then some on Campo quality teams.

Ideally you find that #1 WR in the draft and get great value out of him on his rookie contract. Of course, you need a QB to take advantage of said #1 WR.

erod

Reaction score
Yea.

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/dolphins/jarvis-landry-2017-receptions-chart/

Contextualizing data is just as important as the data itself. Landry has traits similar to a running back – he’s built like a house and runs with a level of intensity not match by his position-mates.

Landry’s 548 yards after the catch accounted for 55.5% of his total yardage. He averaged 4.89 yards after the catch per reception and his average route run went 3.92 yards down the field (for comparison, Kenny Stills was at 11.79).

The Dolphins emphasize these strengths by throwing the football to Landry close to the line of scrimmage – 44.6% of his 112 catches came within three yards of the LOS, and 20.5% were at, or behind the LOS.

The Dolphins red zone offense struggled in 2017, particularly in the ground game. Jarvis Landry is seen as something of an extension or the run game or, in some cases, a substitution for the ground attack. Playing in the condensed, most important area of the field, Adam Gase cooked up some creative designs to get the ball in his best play-maker’s hands.

Dolphins outside of Ajayi's 200 yard games have not had a consistent run game since Ricky/Ronnie Brown.
They schemed Landry to be in motion, and put him in a lot of areas for quick short passes to get 3-6 yards like a running play.
Last year with smoking Jay, he had a career high 9 TDs. Outside of that year his highest total was 5. He is a good receiver between the 20's but isn't a go to TD machine.
He is a very good receiver, but I don't see him on the same level as the others.

Look, stats are completely stupid, and "contexualizing data" is even more so. I used them reluctantly in this instance.

All you have to do is watch the guy.

Great routes, great hands, and great run after catch.

He's elite.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a glitter band aid misdirection. We need a GM, not a WR.

Even if that's true, it doesn't mean he was wrong. On top of that, don't you think it's kind of silly to suggest Jerry is creating a smokescreen for doing something he has done since the day he bought the team, whether in good times or bad (talking to the media).

John813

Reaction score
Look, stats are completely stupid, and "contexualizing data" is even more so. I used them reluctantly in this instance.

All you have to do is watch the guy.

Great routes, great hands, and great run after catch.

He's elite.

Watched him in Miami 15/16 times a year. Sadly, I'm a Dolphin fan too, that wanted him to stay.
Just don't see him as elite. Agree to disagree.
His #1 skill was his hustle after the catch.

Guess we'll see how he ends up doing in Cleveland and if he'll get his wish of being used on more routes than what he got in Miami.

TooTall_Jones

Reaction score

Great observation..despite beign the best of the best NONE have won a SB....doesn't that highlight the importance fo COACHING, STRATEGY, GAME PLANNING.....that is what gets you to a SB, not 1 or 2 elite players.......until JG is GONE and a new culture of accountability and discipline is brought in.......we are destined to be meaningless in the NFL, its already proven