Jerrah - We haven't had a 1 WR in years

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He never said that neither he nor the team "failed to find a #1 receiver", did he? No, that's your excusemaker alarm kicking in again.

Now back to the revelant point. Why is it that all receivers get worse here under this scheme and quarterback?

No, he didn't, but he didn't have to for what he said to be an observation and an opinion. Just like if I said my car isn't running properly, I don't have to say it was my fault for not maintaining it in order to observe that it isn't running properly.

On the other hand, to claim it was an excuse he would have specifically had to indicate it wasn't his or the team's fault they didn't have a #1 WR, just as for me to make an excuse for my car not running properly I would have to lay the blame on someone else as the person responsible.

Bottom line, again, is I am going by his actual words, and you are going by reading more into his words than he said.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Source - Todd Archer on :espn:

This idiot was going to go out and pay 16 million a year for Sammy Watkins. That's how stupid he is. This franchise is screwed. Garrett will be the coach for the next decade and they will probably hand Dak 30 million per year. LOL

And we all come on here and argue about the little things. None of it matters. Im just back to laughing on Sundays and hoping for embarrassment. Its the ONLY chance that big changes will be made.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, he didn't, but he didn't have to for what he said to be an observation and an opinion. Just like if I said my car isn't running properly, I don't have to say it was my fault for not maintaining it in order to observe that it isn't running properly.

On the other hand, to claim it was an excuse he would have specifically had to indicate it wasn't his or the team's fault they didn't have a #1 WR, just as for me to make an excuse for my car not running properly I would have to lay the blame on someone else as the person responsible.

Bottom line, again, is I am going by his actual words, and you are going by reading more into his words than he said.

Actually, you were the guy doing the inferring. That's not going by "actual words" at all. And I'm not saying he made any excuse, but that you tried to. As is your pattern.

But thanks once again for avoiding comment on the true elephant in the room and sticking to quibbling about minutiae.

funkytown

Reaction score
He has a point.
Then again, there are only a few true #1s out there
Dallas has a roster full of low 2s, 3s or 4s.
Dez, even now, is better than any of them.

And Dak is not good enough for us to succeed with a roster full of #2s and #3s.

funkytown

Reaction score
This idiot was going to go out and pay 16 million a year for Sammy Watkins. That's how stupid he is. This franchise is screwed.

I never understood that move. Why would they go after Watkins who has never proven he's any better than the crap we already had?

Legend

Reaction score
Predictable

Why dont you look at the last 8 games (incl GB and not the finale vs PHI) and compare his stats to other #1s around the league.

Dez
43 catches
646 yrds
8 Tds
65 catch %

Julio
49 catches
646 yards
3 TDs
68 catch %

Dez was more productive than Julio Jones at the end of 2016. Yes he started off slow (he had the injury and little chemistry with a rookie QB).

Julio Jones was also suffering from ankle, toe, and calf sprains while Dez was dropping passes against Seattle and acting up on the sideline last season.

Yet Julio Jones still finished with 1,444 receiving yards versus Dez’s 838 receiving yards.

AB finished with 1,533 receiving yards and Hopkins finished with 1,378 receiving yards.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We could have Julio, AB, and Hopkins, and it would barely matter.
Bull****. I get the common theme here is to **** on Prescott, but he's not given very much. Look at the roster. It's all garbage.
We have a cast that shouldn't more than a number or 3 WR.
Barely matter? Did you see the throws and catches Houston made? Good lord, some of the passes were scary. Yet, they somehow know how to make a play on an imperfect ball. rescott has his faults and limitation, but this offensive roster is junk.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Elite QB's turn marginal receivers into #1's. See Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, etc.

Romo had that quality as well. Dak does not. That's the story here.

Look at the super bowl winners from the last 10 or 20 years. How many of those teams had elite true #1 receivers? Not many. Its not necessary with elite QBs. But its necessary with a QB like Dak.

This team truly over estimated the ability of Dak. He's an average at best QB who needs playmakers around him. He is not Tom Brady or Peyton Manning who can turn average receivers into #1's.
Marginal receivers??? Are you serious? Romo stepped on the field with a Hall Of Fame WR and TE from day one. Romo never had a WR core full of midgets, undrafted free agents and washed up veterans. Romo would’ve been killed as a third year quarterback with this team. Just like you all cry about the Minnesota playoff game. That would’ve been his fate all day every day.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
This is Jerry spinning. Always defending the decisions of the Front Office.

My question to Jerry would have been "As the General Manger of this team, how have you allowed the Cowboys to go so long without a #1 WR?"

Because either you felt Dez was a #1 and you were, brace yourself, wrong about it OR it's been your philosophy in today's pass-heavy NFL to not provide your quarterback with a legit, elite WR.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo turned Laurent Robinson into a multimillionaire elsewhere. Did nothing thereafter.

Romo turned Miles Austin into a multimillionaire elsewhere. Did nothing thereafter.

Romo turned Patrick Crayton into a multimillionaire elsewhere. Did nothing thereafter.

Romo turned Sam Hurd into a multimillionaire elsewhere. Did nothing thereafter.

Romo turned Dez into a multi-multi-multi millionaire here. Did nothing when Dak took over.

And if you think Parcells gave two craps about what TO thought, you're even less lucid than we all thought.

I don't say this to knock Romo, because I do think Romo was a good QB that could help receivers become their best, but in fairness ...

Crayton's first season after leaving Dallas he actually put up totals comparable with what he did in Dallas, and actually much better on a per game and per catch basis than at any point he was in Dallas. But after that he was 32-33 years old and had some injury problems, and only played one more year.

Austin's numbers actually improved when he went to Cleveland over what they had been the season before in Dallas.

keysersoze

Reaction score
I don't say this to knock Romo, because I do think Romo was a good QB that could help receivers become their best, but in fairness ...

Crayton's first season after leaving Dallas he actually put up totals comparable with what he did in Dallas, and actually much better on a per game and per catch basis than at any point he was in Dallas. But after that he was 32-33 years old and had some injury problems, and only played one more year.

Austin's numbers actually improved when he went to Cleveland over what they had been the season before in Dallas.
Preach!!!!! They conveniently forget the major YAC these guys put up. That alone was because of their physical attributes. Not Romo’s quarterbacking.

funkytown

Reaction score
Marginal receivers??? Are you serious? Romo stepped on the field with a Hall Of Fame WR and TE from day one. Romo never had a WR core full of midgets, undrafted free agents and washed up veterans. Romo would’ve been killed as a third year quarterback with this team. Just like you all cry about the Minnesota playoff game. That would’ve been his fate all day every day.

Romo had all of those in his receiving core you just mentioned.

keysersoze

Reaction score
Romo had a better chance than Dak. We all see the difference in the two. Its not even close.
What’s the difference? Neither one has taken us to an NFC championship. All Romo did was pad his stats. He ain’t done anything special for the team. In one breath you all say elite quarterbacks carry a team. Where the hell has Romo carried us? The answer is no further than Dak has. Simple and plain