Jerry’s defense gave up 159 rush yards per game, what’s he gonna do about it?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
We will go to a true West
So guys what has Jerry and the front office done to improve this 31st ranked rush defense giving up 159 rushing yards per game.

I have yet to see a single move made by this organization to improve this category.

The players they brought in doesn’t move the needle. Carlos Watkins is an undersized DE trying to play DT, his weak butt is going to turn into a I-hop short-stack pancake meal for opposing OL.

Brent Urban is an oversized DE trying to play NT/DT will get thrown around like a cinnamon stick with no bend and ability to play with leverage.

All i know is any loss this team takes and the defense gives up 30+ point will not be on DAK. Matter of fact he will be asking for 50 million per year to carry weight of the 31st ranked Defense?

P.S. just about every high-powered offense lost the SB besides New Orleans Saints that also had top 12 defense that year.

https://youtu.be/P0zuCOfcSjc

We will go to a West coast offense controling TOP and improve Redzone scoring. This will change how the defense has to play. Trying to throw 10 new guys at our defense. Insures nothing. You improve what he have the personnel to do. Our Offense if healthy equals any in the NFL. We need to average about 25 pts a game..not keep it low scoring trying to win in the 4th Qt.

Creeper

Reaction score
Everyone knows I am a major cynic when it comes to the Cowboys defense (and some other things) but I will actually come in and make a defense of what the Cowboys have done so far - at least a little. The first thing and probably the most impactful is get Xavier Woods off the field. Go back and watch every big run against Dallas last year, and a lot of big passing plays too, and Woods turned a lot of short gains into big plays by missing tackles, or with his pathetic instincts. Just have another Safety back their to make a tackle once in a while is going to help the Cowboys run defense.

I realize the DTs are still very average, but I am optimistic that Gallimore is going to be a bit better this year. He started slow last season but started to pick up his play later in the season. We can hope he picks up from where he left off.

The rest of the defense is going to be what it was last year. Our $21 million DE is still going to crash inside and let the QBs and RBs get outside on him. Jaylon is going to be slow to get to the outside to make up for Lawrence's blunders. LVE will probably trip over a hash mark and break something that will require surgery. And Lewis and Brown will still be bad tacklers. Neal and Kazee will have to play like HoFamers.

jnday

Reaction score
Hopefully the answer is not “draft a corner.”
I agree with you. Drafting a CB will not improve the run defense. This draft has very little top-end , run-stopping, defensive talent and it would be wasting the 10th pick to reach for a DT or LB.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
They let KRichard walk so that big Mike could hire his old buddy to run the defense. Smart huh?

(Same deal with MColombo. Philbin is big Mikes buddy from GreenBay.)

I like the Quinn hire. He’s no KRichard, but he knows what to do.

Richard sucks and always has. Our DBs got worse under him.

He’s an enthusiastic, rah-rah guy the fans like, but in reality he’s nothing more than a DB coach.

kskboys

Reaction score
As usual, draft TE's and CB's and an injured LB or three and declare that we don't need a D if we just get more WR's.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
So guys what has Jerry and the front office done to improve this 31st ranked rush defense giving up 159 rushing yards per game.

I have yet to see a single move made by this organization to improve this category.

The players they brought in doesn’t move the needle. Carlos Watkins is an undersized DE trying to play DT, his weak butt is going to turn into a I-hop short-stack pancake meal for opposing OL.

Brent Urban is an oversized DE trying to play NT/DT will get thrown around like a cinnamon stick with no bend and ability to play with leverage.

All i know is any loss this team takes and the defense gives up 30+ point will not be on DAK. Matter of fact he will be asking for 50 million per year to carry weight of the 31st ranked Defense?

P.S. just about every high-powered offense lost the SB besides New Orleans Saints that also had top 12 defense that year.

Who needs a defense when your buddy is going to put up 65 points a game, right? You've been telling us for months that all this team needed was for Dak to get signed and it was super bowl time. Like Dak can do it all by himself....... or are you now backing off all the garbage?

With the ridiculous amount he just got paid that's what he better do each week, or he's a failure.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Listen, I don’t get why people fail to understand Jerry. Jerry has put together the most talented team in the history of the NFL, no mistakes were made. It is on the coaches to produce with the product Jerry bought. I don’t care if he puts a CB at nose tackle, Dan Quinn needs to coach him up and prove Jerry is right.

and this is fo we gonna do about it !
Talent only works on offense. We need size, heart and grit on defense. Quinn could be the best defensive coach on the planet, but you give him a bunch of pansies and our defense will suffer.

So the real problem with our defense is the talent you were just talking about. Drafting DT's and LB's because of their sparq scores.