Twitter: Jerry as GM “You don’t fire yourself”

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think hope is required. No hope = loss of interest = fading away = not being a fan. A person might still check the standings or listen to sports radio, but being a fan will fade away. They will be something like a observer.

So yes i think hope is required to be a fan.
There’s fans across the country who follow and root for Dormant franchises and schools with little or no hope for success.

Some will hop on other teams with more success as many Fans across the country have hopped on our wagon over the years.

You are right . The lack of success many casual fans lose interest in their team but not the sport. But hope isn’t required to follow your team. Winning just makes it more fun.

khiladi

Reaction score
bright gave tex schramm permission to sell the club 3 years before jerry purchased it. schramm sought the help of Solomon bros. in new york to assist him. schramm demanded of any prospective buyers that he and landry remain in their positions. this deterred most buyers. that's why jerry specifically asked bright if anything would preclude him from bringing in his own guys and firing landry. when bright told him he was free to do as he wanted in that regard, jerry made the move.

My point is simply, Dallas wasn’t an investment nobody wanted. Bright said many teams were negotiated, which is probably what drove the price up significantly above 100 million dollars. Jerry Nones technically WAY over paid.

Further, the NFL was hurting when Jerry bought the Cowboys. 7 of the 28 teams were making money, the rest were losing, particularly because of the strike season. When the strike was over, this actually led to more losses because of the concessions the owners made.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-01-25-sp-25655-story.html

CB61

Reaction score
As do virtually every owner.
Look at these coaching vacancies and the GMs on hot seats that are not even certain to stay much less get to pick a Coach.
Those are OWNERS making decisions.

Jerry simply puts the bullseye on himself and goofies buy it.
No one is calling Jerry to make trades.
And agents aren't sending him tapes lol.

Almost everyone on this board would retain the decision-making that Jerry actually controls.
Over deals that are multi-millions, marketing based or when there's a tie among his paid decision-makers.

When was the last time a guy was a "jerry jones draft pick"?
Probably Troy Aikman. And it had zero to do with scouting but Jerry needed to sell jerseys and liked a 6'4 blond QB for just that.

Jerry's issue is he is far too loyal. From Lacewell to Jason.
He could have fired people far faster than he chooses to.
JG should have never been head coach here but Jerry knew him so well and trusted and liked him. And he certainly wasn't going to fire him right after he lost his father so he stayed too long once given that shot.
I hear you and I'm with you not much we can do about it unfortunately

Reaction score
Fans of dormant teams don’t need hope. You just follow along because they’re your local team much like fans do across the country for less successful teams. Winning just makes it more fun.
That might work for Browns, Bengals or Bucs fans, but it doesn't work for me.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
jerry's team won super bowls with the talent assembled by jimmy Johnson. since then, the team's been a wreck under jerry's sole leadership. a few years ago I took over the running of two coltan mines in brazil as part of an estate settlement. although i'd never managed that kind of business, I improved the profitability of both to the point that I was able to sell to amg for more than the value of the cowboys. there is a distinct difference in running a business and making judgements on your staff. jerry runs a good business, no doubt. but his inability to hire a good hc is problematic.
Completely fair point except Jerry in his first act as owner hired Jimmy Johnson.
So he gets credit there in his biggest area of weakness.
He also hired Bill Parcells to turn it around post Campo debacle.

Generally people who "fire themselves" are guys like Papa John who were forced out.
They aren't actually firing them-self.

Larry Lacewell was an atrociously bad GM and make no mistake he was ACTUALLY GM.
That is 100% on Jerry.
He knew Larry for 30 years. Had to finally fire him.
Then Bill had that role.
Then it went to this weird "organizational committee" that is actually becoming fairly common and exists in New England among other places.
Difference is in NE They got BB to coach that team and helm that committee.

McClay is a good GM. Not great, but good.
Jerry simply handing the title would change exactly zero.

Probably a solid 3rd of these teams owners are going to keep final say and that number is growing not shrinking.

But Jerry is not long for this Earth and any moves made right now are about the future of the Dallas Cowboys post Jerry.
The people still hung up on him have personal issues.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
There’s fans across the country who follow and root for Dormant franchises and schools with little or no hope for success.

Some will hop on other teams with more success as many Fans across the country have hopped on our wagon over the years.

But you are right . The lack of success many casual fans lose interest in their team but not the sport.

Pro fans and school loyality i think are two different things. If i went to School X i would cheer for them for life, but in Pro sports i don't think that is that case. Are their pro sports fans who love their local teams, yes, but i think a great majority of them lose interest on&off and the time spent becomes more a gathering rather then a die hard fan looking for victory.
I get what your saying, my question is, are those people fans or have they just lost their minds? It's a fine line, many of us myself included are probably on the wrong side of that line.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
bright gave tex schramm permission to sell the club 3 years before jerry purchased it. schramm sought the help of Solomon bros. in new york to assist him. schramm demanded of any prospective buyers that he and landry remain in their positions. this deterred most buyers. that's why jerry specifically asked bright if anything would preclude him from bringing in his own guys and firing landry. when bright told him he was free to do as he wanted in that regard, jerry made the move.
Correct initially but as time passed and Bright begun going thru personal bankruptcy he had to alter the Landry exemption.

And Bright chose Jerry for two reasons. One Jerry was paying cash for a quick sale and Bum had resented not being able to fire Tom as he had signed an agreement when he purchased it plus the other more popular prospective bids were from Lakers and Mavs owner which they would have had to sell out their majority rights in the NBA teams before being approved by League .

It was reported Jerry actually had the lower offer than Mavs owner Carter or Lakers Dr Jerry Buss.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Pro fans and school loyality i think are two different things. If i went to School X i would cheer for them for life, but in Pro sports i don't think that is that case. Are their pro sports fans who love their local teams, yes, but i think a great majority of them lose interest on&off and the time spent becomes more a gathering rather then a die hard fan looking for victory.
I get what your saying, my question is, are those people fans or have they just lost their minds? It's a fine line, many of us myself included are probably on the wrong side of that line.
As far as schools it’s not just Alumni or former students. It’s usually the local and regional communities as well. Casual fans just get more into it when they’re winning.

Whether these fans lose interest or not if they’re losing isn’t really a concern. If all you need is a winning team to root for them you fall into the Wagon or Casual type fan. Which is fine.

But the point remains there’s little or no hope needed to remain a fan of a dormant team regardless how crazed a fan you are.

I went to New Orleans to see a Cowboy game while they were wearing bags over their heads in the midst of 43 seasons without a championship and they were still rooting their team on with little hope. Lol

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
As far as schools it’s not just Alumni or former students. It’s usually the local and regional communities as well. Casual fans just get more into it when they’re winning.

Whether these fans lose interest or not if they’re losing isn’t really a concern. If all you need is a winning team to root for them you fall into the Wagon or Casual type fan. Which is fine.

But the point remains there’s little or no hope needed to remain a fan of a dormant team regardless how crazed a fan you are.

I went to New Orleans to see a Cowboy game while they were wearing bags over their heads in the midst of 43 seasons without a championship and they were still rooting their team on with little hope. Lol
There's a difference between fanatic and lunatic. Those people stopped being fans a long time ago and because of all the losing they have becoming lunatics. They need therapy, i probably need some as well.

EJK24

Reaction score
Maybe it's not exactly firing myself but when I know there is a job to be done (Work at my house, on my car, or whatever) that I know is out of my league? I step away and hand the keys and cash to the guy who gets it done properly.

No shame in acknowledging what you can and cant do. He is not a good GM. Hand the keys and a big check to someone who can fix your mess.

DZSierra

Reaction score
Completely fair point except Jerry in his first act as owner hired Jimmy Johnson.

And it was his (jerry jones) issue of letting his own ego getting in the way that let Jimmy get away.

As noted, it was the clown that said that ANY coach could would win with the second SB team coached by Jimmy Johnson.

Dallas will ALWAYS be a clown show with Jerry Jones at the helm.

The guy has shown his ineptitude by not getting rid of JG NOW and start the search process to get a new coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There's a difference between fanatic and lunatic. Those people stopped being fans a long time ago and because of all the losing they have becoming lunatics. They need therapy, i probably need some as well.
What about those Browns fans in the Dog Pound. Or in Detroit. Never sniffed a SB. How much hope do they have?

This notion fans need much hope to follow their team is silly. They may not all be Fanatics but they are fans still following and rooting their team on regardless if it’s from a distance or not.

Like my Dad taught me as a kid following a very Dormant team in Baylor. “ son, anybody can follow a winner but it builds character rooting for a loser”.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Worst owner, I can't believe anybody voted for him in the poll.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
What about those Browns fans in the Dog Pound. Or in Detroit. Never sniffed a SB. How much hope do they have?

This notion fans need much hope to follow their team is silly. They may not all be Fanatics but they are fans still following and rooting their team on regardless if it’s from a distance or not.

Like my Dad taught me as a kid following a very Dormant team in Baylor. “ son, anybody can follow a winner but it builds character rooting for a loser”.
Ah i get it now.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I'd send Jerry a turd in a box, but I know he'd send me one back after a Ribeye & Hot Wing Challenge sponsored by Johnnie Walker Blue.

Big_D

Reaction score
This guy craps all over the fans on a regular basis. His logic is out in left field somewhere!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If the owner doesn't care about winning than why should be waste our time caring.
I’m watching NFL on Sundays. The Cowboys are just one of the games I watch.

Who says we have to care anymore. I waved my white flag years ago when I realized winning wasn’t a priority.