Jerry: College players who opted out are compromised prospects

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by Hawkeye0202, Apr 27, 2021.

1. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

26,207 Messages
    28,598 Likes Received
    Although we'll never know, Parsons was predicted to be a top 5 type prospect if he'd played. In all likelihood would've been out of our reach.

Jammer likes this.
  2. kskboys

26,207 Messages
    28,598 Likes Received
    I tend to look at this from the opposite perspective. Sitting out is what allowed us to draft a generational stud. This cat will be a top 5 LB very very soon. Maybe even as a rook.

Did we take a chance? Of course, however this was one chance definitely worth taking.

Streetwise and DakPresgoat like this.
  3. Streetwise

Streetwise Taco Engineer

15,143 Messages
    16,223 Likes Received
    For me it comes down to the player. At first it seemed more a gamble, but with Parson's it's hard for me to suggest a season off would have an effect simply because from what I've heard from multiple sources is that he took the time off to prepare for the NFL. That says a lot IMO.

4. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

26,852 Messages
    5,791 Likes Received
    Playing college football is preparing for the NFL. I'm sure he could do things to help prepare himself for the NFL, but the main preparation is out on the practice field and college game day. I obviously hope he does very well with the Cowboys, but he and anyone else who missed a season missed some important development opportunities in my opinion. That time lost can be overcome, but it takes even more work.

5. Streetwise

Streetwise Taco Engineer

15,143 Messages
    16,223 Likes Received
    He opted out from the pandemic. He chose to keep working regardless. I'm not disagreeing with you in general, but in Parson's case I'm allowing some slack because of his work ethic and talent level.

DakPresgoat likes this.
  6. kskboys

26,207 Messages
    28,598 Likes Received
    Word has it he's been working out furiously.

DakPresgoat and Streetwise like this.
  7. kskboys

26,207 Messages
    28,598 Likes Received
    Don't forget that he has a very young kid.

Streetwise likes this.
  8. Streetwise

Streetwise Taco Engineer

15,143 Messages
    16,223 Likes Received
    True, that would make a difference. Like I said, typically I think missing a year might hurt draft position, but not with a guy like Parson's. And that's something I changed my tune with when I became better informed.

This isn't Jamarcus Russell.

kskboys likes this.
  9. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

18,709 Messages
    41,084 Likes Received
    To add with Parsons.

The Big Ten initially cancelled the season.

Once they cancelled the season, Parsons signed with an agent, and started receiving professional training to prepare for the draft and to keep working on his game.

then once they big ten un-cancelled the season. In order to be able to play due to NCAA rules he would have needed to pay them all their money back..... since agents and trainers usually front services to guys they know will be high draft picks because they’re going to be paid eventually.

unfortunately for Micah, he didn’t have the money.

so through no fault of his own, he was put into a tough position. Because initially he didn’t even think there would be a season at all and he made decisions based off that.

Jammer and kskboys like this.
  10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

26,852 Messages
    5,791 Likes Received
    I don't recall Jamarcus Russell missing a season. I know Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams both did as they tried to go pro earlier than allowed. They didn't succeed. Parsons may be the real deal. Hopefully.

11. Streetwise

Streetwise Taco Engineer

15,143 Messages
    16,223 Likes Received
    My point was, and I apologize for not being clear, is that Parson's isn't a slacker by any definition possible. Russell would have embraced the opt-out as an opportunity to eat Twinkies and watch TV.

kskboys, CouchCoach and DakPresgoat like this.
  12. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

18,709 Messages
    41,084 Likes Received

Agreed. Maurice Clarett missed a year of football and then showed up to the combine fat and out of shape. Lol. He even didn’t do all the drills because he was so out of shape.

That kind of laziness..... that has nothing to do with playing or nothin final college season and everything to do with him being an idiot.

kskboys and Streetwise like this.
  13. Streetwise

Streetwise Taco Engineer

15,143 Messages
    16,223 Likes Received
    True. Some college athletes got by simply because they were more talented than the watered down college rosters. It might not have anything to do with work ethic.

kskboys and DakPresgoat like this.
  14. kskboys

26,207 Messages
    28,598 Likes Received
    It actually did. He was projected to be a top 5 pick. Teams would've been fighting over him if he'd have played.

He had the one thing that would've made me opt out, a young kid. Gotta protect the kids.

DakPresgoat and Streetwise like this.
  15. kskboys

26,207 Messages
    28,598 Likes Received
    Good background stuff. If I knew this, I'd forgotten.

DakPresgoat likes this.
  16. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy Zone Supporter

4,987 Messages
    2,643 Likes Received
    Interesting. Did not know that. Makes even more sense now.

DakPresgoat likes this.