Jerry did not get fleeced in a trade

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He was going in the division regardless.
DAL benefited at exactly zero net loss.
They took the guy they'd have taken 10 anyway and picked up a free R3.
PHI just bailed DAL out by being desperate.

PHI wasn't missing Smith, they had the same guy in DeSean Jackson.
PHI is missing a QB and tons of other pieces.
A 1770 pound WR isn't exactly the scariest option to me.

Not sure how a 1770 WR can run unless he's a bull haha. In all seriousness, you're right. It was a free 3rd round pick for the inevitable to happen. Frankly, I'd rather Smith be in Philly over NY. The Giants have a lot of weapons. The Eagles are a mess. Smith isn't going to make them contenders for the division. At least not unless Philly fixes MANY other areas. Smith with the Giants WOULD make them contenders.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Hard for me to ever like a trade with a rival team, especially Philly, no matter what. I don't know, a third is a third and in this draft, a lot of really good players in the 2nd through 4th round. But the strength of this draft is really the 2nd round IMO. I think the Cowboys probably could have gotten more, a 2nd or maybe another pick, out of Philly. The Eagles have a lot of picks this year so I think maybe the opportunity was there to get more but who knows?

Here's the thing, at least for me, this trade is a good one if the Cowboys can land a starter with that pick later on. If they can do that, then it's a good trade. If they can't, it's a really bad one, not because it's Parsons at 12 but because you gave a Division team air with that pick. Philly has Ertz and Reagor now. Those are two pretty good weapons. Now you allow them to move up and take a guy who can really hurt you, all over the field and that gives them three tough covers. You just gave a young QB enough talent to have a pretty good year and that's going to be a problem for you for the foreseeable future. You can't really look at that and call it a good trade if it works out that way.

I doubt Ertz will be there on opening day. Reagor isn't very good imo. And the fact we have the ability to find an extra starter with another top 100 pick makes this a good trade imo. What they do with it is another matter. I've said my wishlist for where I want the FO to go with it. But the pick wouldn't make the trade any worse imo. It'd just be a waste of a free pick. We got an opportunity to add another player to our defence that we need.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
For all of you who constantly whine about Jerry always getting fleeced—the trade value chart indicates that we got very good trade value in the trade down and “won the trade”. That is all. Thank you. Take care.

Should have made them give us their higher third or swapped 2nd rounders this year. They were desperate.:thumbup:

Hardline

Reaction score
Obviously they didn't think that offer was better. They wanted parsons instead of a first round pick next year. What's so hard to understand?
That Bears 2022 first round pick could've been a top 10 pick. They would be starting a rookie QB.

JBS

Reaction score
That Bears 2022 first round pick could've been a top 10 pick. They would be starting a rookie QB.

They probably just got a top 10 pick on their board. So why trade a top 10 pick on your board for a maybe top 10 pick?

Hardline

Reaction score
They probably just got a top 10 pick on their board. So why trade a top 10 pick on your board for a maybe top 10 pick?
Because you hold the Bears 2022 first round pick and go in with 2 first round picks.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This is really simple:

1. We got an extra third.
2. We got an extra third for a player we would have chosen anyway had we stayed put.
3. If we had stayed put, we would have gotten nothing.
4. Either the Giants or the Eagles would have picked DeVon Smith ANYWAY.
5. We trade him to the Eagles, who have Hurt as quarterback.
6. Who would you rather have completing passes to Smith - Hurts or Jones?
7. Before you answer that question understand this: Hurts FRUSTRATED Bama receivers such as Smith. Hurts was WOEFULLY inaccurate and would miss WIDE OPEN receivers. Once Tua was inserted into the line up all of a sudden Bama now has these spectacular receivers. They were there all along. Hurts couldn't get them the ball. Tua singlehandly elevated the play of the receivers.
8. Hurts hasn't gotten any better. And if you put a pass rush on him (as the WFT, Giants and, hopefully, Cowboys will do), he will start to scramble from the pocket. I doubt he gets the most out of Smith.

I'd rather have Hurts throw to Smith than Jones.

It was a smart move by ... gag ... Jerry.

Big_D

Reaction score
Exactly. We need defence. We got the best player on that side of the ball, and we got an extra 3rd for our troubles. This is GOOD. If we can at least get our defence to be mediocre, we can go far in the playoffs. This defence isn't getting fixed in one draft. If we can at least be better against the run and hold teams to an average of 15-20 points per game vs the 30+ we have up last season, our offense has the power to carry us. That's exactly what we did last night at LB. We still have plenty of picks to fix more areas of defence. No need to panic. Just be happy we addresses a major area of need.

It was a good pick with a solid trade back and Lots of picks left. I think they'll do a nice job tonight getting some more talented players. 1 tech would be a good package deal with this LB.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
For all of you who constantly whine about Jerry always getting fleeced—the trade value chart indicates that we got very good trade value in the trade down and “won the trade”. That is all. Thank you. Take care.
whining about Jerry to some people is like breathing. I assume they saw the "haul" the Giants got for their move, but fail to consider they moved 9 spots (we moved down 2) and their extra 1st rounder is next year and a year less on a rookie contract is a lot

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I doubt Ertz will be there on opening day. Reagor isn't very good imo. And the fact we have the ability to find an extra starter with another top 100 pick makes this a good trade imo. What they do with it is another matter. I've said my wishlist for where I want the FO to go with it. But the pick wouldn't make the trade any worse imo. It'd just be a waste of a free pick. We got an opportunity to add another player to our defence that we need.

All the more reason you don't give the Eagles air. If the Giants take him, so what. Yeah, it gives them another weapon but, they already have Darius Slayton, Kenny Galloday, Sterling Shepard, John Ross, Evan Engram, Kyle Rudolph and Saquon Barkley. They already have a lot at the skilled positions. Add Smith and it's another weapon but they already have a lot of them so I don't see him as as big an impact in NY.

I don't know about Ertz, Reagor is good, better then Smith IMO. You don't make that trade and I think you make it tougher for the Eagles to field an offense in 2021. Eagles need serious help in the secondary, they are going to spend a lot of those picks on Defense IMO. I really don't like the trade.

JMO

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Hard for me to ever like a trade with a rival team, especially Philly, no matter what. I don't know, a third is a third and in this draft, a lot of really good players in the 2nd through 4th round. But the strength of this draft is really the 2nd round IMO. I think the Cowboys probably could have gotten more, a 2nd or maybe another pick, out of Philly. The Eagles have a lot of picks this year so I think maybe the opportunity was there to get more but who knows?
They really really couldn't. I doubt you can find a trade, ever, where a team gave up a 1st and 2nd to move up two slots (outside the top 5 or so). To balance this trade, we should have given them a late pick back.

starfan1

Reaction score
I can find lots of reasons to be critical of jerry this isnt one. We got the player who was #1 on their board. Im hearing from different outlets that it wasnt CB it was Parsons the whole time and we got a 3rd to work with. there is still 2 days to be the monday morning QB from all the GMs in here. I find 0 fault with this. Of course i wanted LB with round 1 so maybe that plays a role

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They really really couldn't. I doubt you can find a trade, ever, where a team gave up a 1st and 2nd to move up two slots (outside the top 5 or so). To balance this trade, we should have given them a late pick back.

Yeah, this isn't true. At the top of the draft, that is where you can do this because it's about the player and not about the position or value, nearly as much. It happens all the time, saying you "really, really couldn't" just doesn't ring true. But hey, if it doesn't, then Philly doesn't get that WR and they have less to work with on Offense.

Lastly, the Eagles didn't "give up" a 1st. They gave up a 3rd to move up into the top 10 in the NFL Draft. That's the truth of the trade.

Big_D

Reaction score
I can find lots of reasons to be critical of jerry this isnt one. We got the player who was #1 on their board. Im hearing from different outlets that it wasnt CB it was Parsons the whole time and we got a 3rd to work with. there is still 2 days to be the monday morning QB from all the GMs in here. I find 0 fault with this. Of course i wanted LB with round 1 so maybe that plays a role

I love the fact that they got a very much needed playmaker on defense. And an extra 3rd. That is huge! I'm no fan of Jerry but this was a nice round 1. Better than expected. Last year was a quality draft.. and this one is starting that way.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Yeah, this isn't true. At the top of the draft, that is where you can do this because it's about the player and not about the position or value, nearly as much. It happens all the time, saying you "really, really couldn't" just doesn't ring true. But hey, if it doesn't, then Philly doesn't get that WR and they have less to work with on Offense.
If you can find an example, I'd be interested in seeing it. Until then, I won't believe they could have gotten more, and either way, I'm quite pleased with what they did get. I think the Eagles made the trade for nothing, because the Giants probably do the trade with the Bears anyway and leave Smith to the Eagles.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I love the fact that they got a very much needed playmaker on defense. And an extra 3rd. That is huge! I'm no fan of Jerry but this was a nice round 1. Better than expected. Last year was a quality draft.. and this one is starting that way.

How do you know he's a playmaker? He didn't really show that at Penn St. IMO. 6.5 Sacks in his career, not really a lot. No INTs, a decent amount of tackles, 191, but outside of that, not a lot. Great athlete, but production doesn't really match ability there.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It was a good pick with a solid trade back and Lots of picks left. I think they'll do a nice job tonight getting some more talented players. 1 tech would be a good package deal with this LB.

I think so too. I am curious as to how they go with this. Shelvin, McNeil, or Bobby Brown would be great choices in either round we pick today.