Jerry did not get fleeced in a trade

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If you can find an example, I'd be interested in seeing it. Until then, I won't believe they could have gotten more, and either way, I'm quite pleased with what they did get. I think the Eagles made the trade for nothing, because the Giants probably do the trade with the Bears anyway and leave Smith to the Eagles.

Sure thing, Dallas Cowboys Minnesota Vikings Walker Trade. I mean, really?

Kingofholland

Reaction score
The player they wanted and a 3rd round pick is a win. Wish they had an opportunity to deal with the Bears.

Was thinking that may happen as soon as both corners were selected. I can't imagine the Bears and Cowboys didnt talk, but at the end of the day the Cowboys felt the 3rd rounder this year and likely getting one of their defensive targets was the better way to go.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
All the more reason you don't give the Eagles air. If the Giants take him, so what. Yeah, it gives them another weapon but, they already have Darius Slayton, Kenny Galloday, Sterling Shepard, John Ross, Evan Engram, Kyle Rudolph and Saquon Barkley. They already have a lot at the skilled positions. Add Smith and it's another weapon but they already have a lot of them so I don't see him as as big an impact in NY.

I don't know about Ertz, Reagor is good, better then Smith IMO. You don't make that trade and I think you make it tougher for the Eagles to field an offense in 2021. Eagles need serious help in the secondary, they are going to spend a lot of those picks on Defense IMO. I really don't like the trade.

JMO

Fair enough. I just think the Eagles are such a mess that them getting Smith won't be an issue. And the deal gives us another pick to get more defence. I'll take it.

Kwyn

Reaction score
The trade itself might have been fine.

The trade the Giants got was better.

Why didn't they make the deal with the Bears?

Why didn't we draft Fields and entertain offers?

Those were better options, IMO.
This is some straight up Madden action here.

The idea that you would draft a QB when you just signed a massive contract for a QB1 and then “entertain offers” is silly.

Might as well put a sign around his neck saying “2021 1st, or best offer”

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
For all of you who constantly whine about Jerry always getting fleeced—the trade value chart indicates that we got very good trade value in the trade down and “won the trade”. That is all. Thank you. Take care.
We did win the trade. Most people have admitted that.

But this like going 1-15 and then bragging about the one win.

Verdict

Reaction score
Chalk up another April "win" for Jerry, at least on paper. Those wins in January and February, on the field, have been far more elusive.

Is there a Jerry Apologetics class somewhere? Some of y'all seem to have aced it.
Is Jerry dating your daughter or something?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This is really simple:

1. We got an extra third.
2. We got an extra third for a player we would have chosen anyway had we stayed put.
3. If we had stayed put, we would have gotten nothing.
4. Either the Giants or the Eagles would have picked DeVon Smith ANYWAY.
5. We trade him to the Eagles, who have Hurt as quarterback.
6. Who would you rather have completing passes to Smith - Hurts or Jones?
7. Before you answer that question understand this: Hurts FRUSTRATED Bama receivers such as Smith. Hurts was WOEFULLY inaccurate and would miss WIDE OPEN receivers. Once Tua was inserted into the line up all of a sudden Bama now has these spectacular receivers. They were there all along. Hurts couldn't get them the ball. Tua singlehandly elevated the play of the receivers.
8. Hurts hasn't gotten any better. And if you put a pass rush on him (as the WFT, Giants and, hopefully, Cowboys will do), he will start to scramble from the pocket. I doubt he gets the most out of Smith.

I'd rather have Hurts throw to Smith than Jones.

It was a smart move by ... gag ... Jerry.

THANK YOU! This is exactly why the trade was smart.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You can use all the insulting terms you want.

However, it does not change the reality that the Giant will have 2 no. 1 picks and 2 4th round picks and that all those defensive players and probably even Parsons were available at 20.

Can't change the fact regarding the history of Jerry Dumbo GM Jones trade down results.

Can't change the fact that your Chief Brand Officer should not be sitting between the EVP of Player Personnel and the VP of Player Personnel.

Can't change the fact you need a CB to stop Devin Smith from nearly my home town of Amite LA and home state.

The value chart just changed 1 pick ahead of the Cowboys when NY got their haul.

This is the Typical Jonesboys fan reactions that has the Arlington Jonesboys not in a NFC Championship game or Super Bowl in 25 years. Truth hurts you'll be in pain. Truth drives you crazy you'll be insane.

This is continued insanity of Arlington Jonesboys fans saying the won after the team gets a 3rd round pick moving down 2 spots and the Division Rival getting a top 10 WR that no one on your defense can cover including the pick you drafted.
Parsons would have been long gone at 20 who are you trying to kid.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Sure thing, Dallas Cowboys Minnesota Vikings Walker Trade. I mean, really?
That's not at all comparable, and if you hope to recreate that magic again, you're going to be waiting a long long time. I mean, if your argument is, "Dallas could have gotten Philly to make an insanely stupid offer," that's not much of an argument.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
THANK YOU! This is exactly why the trade was smart.

Also, lest we forget, there were some rumors (weak albeit) that the Eagles may have been interested in a QB if the right player fell to a position for a trade. Translation, I'm not sure they're even sold on Hurts. Yet, Hurts was enough to drive Wentz out of town. Meanwhile, they fire the coach after they got hell from the Giants for allegedly throwing their game with WFT. They got a new coach. They have Ertz who may not be there. Their oline is AWFUL. Their secondary sucks, and Smith is now the ONE good WR they have. So yeah, let them trade up with us. They've got as much if not more than we do that they need to fix. We have to fix our defence. They practically have to rebuild their ENTIRE team! Who has the easier task? Oh! And lest we also forget they're in cap hell.

dckid

Reaction score

Of course you are right.
This is what happens when you pay a metric ton of money to a QB who you already go the best years out of...
Think about that statement I just made. This is not the same league it was in 2012, 2014 when the smart teams were paying the likes of Flacco & Cousins.
The smart teams are not looking for a potential elite guy at a 5 year controlled cost.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Fair enough. I just think the Eagles are such a mess that them getting Smith won't be an issue. And the deal gives us another pick to get more defence. I'll take it.

It's possible, it could work out that way this year but, over time it won't stay that way. The longer you force Hurt to keep punching up, the better chance you have that the Eagles move on from him, which means they are forced to go out and get a QB. That hurts their cap or it makes them spend Draft Capitol and developmental time. Basically, it keeps them down. I'm of the opinion that you do all you can to make it harder for your Division to develop. The longer you keep them struggling to find balance, the better chance you provide yourself the opportunity to win your own division and that means playoffs. The more often you go, the better your chances of winning a championship.

This is basically what our Division has been doing to us, ever since Jimmy left the building.

cowboygo

Reaction score
That is a very Arlington Jonesboys analysis. Here is the reality of Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.

1. Cowboys dropped out of the top 10 trading with a division rival. Would not a division rival pay more for a trade up?
2. Somebody should have called Chicago.
3. Why Will McClay was not next to Jerry and Stephen in the War Room or at least next to the Big Blue M&M? Why the hell is you VP of Player Personnel doing next to VP Branding Officer (Charlotte)
4. Your division Rival takes your pick and drafts a Top 10 WR and you did not trade back in the draft at no. 19 or 20 to select Caleb Farley a CB with the speed to stop a Top 10 WR?
5. I saw this before when the Cowboys traded down for 3rd round pick drafting a WR and came out a draft needing defense with a C, TE, and WR. None of those players are on the team but the C was Pro Bowler (but still gone). However your defense falls to the 2020 level of one of the worst in NFL history and the worst defense in Cowboys history.

You did all the above for a 3rd round pick with the following players on the draft board at and after no.20 that NY got no.20, a 5th, 2021 no.1, and 4th round picks:
32) Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Joe Tryon, LB, Washington
31) Baltimore Ravens (from KC) – Jayson Oweh, DE, Penn State
30) Buffalo Bills – Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami
29) Green Bay Packers – Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia
28) New Orleans Saints – Payton Turner, DE, Houston
26) Cleveland Browns – Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern
23) Minnesota Vikings (from NYJ through SEA) – Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech
22) Tennessee Titans – Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech
21) Indianapolis Colts – Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan

If your VP of Player Personnel was next to the Executive VP Director of Player and not the Branding Chief Officer, you could have come out the first round with Parsons and Farley and still had a 2nd round pick to draft Jabril Cox.

You trade to get who you need and want and not to get to get a draft pick.

This was a panic move to get a draft pick after Horn and Surtain went 8 and 9. I know this, because trading up for either, would only cost a 3rd round pick according to Jerry Dumbo GM Jones. Parsons was my top rated Defensive player in this draft with normal top 5 value. However, he was going to fall or go after the CBs because of the hazing issue at PSU. He could have stayed on the board until 18.

Jerry got fleeced again as he does not having Gil Brandt, Bob Ackles, John Wooten, and Jimmy Johnson's trading instincts or strategy for personnel and drafting after 30 years. The man is a business guy and not a football guy.
He could have stayed on the board until 18? Yeah, no.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's possible, it could work out that way this year but, over time it won't stay that way. The longer you force Hurt to keep punching up, the better chance you have that the Eagles move on from him, which means they are forced to go out and get a QB. That hurts their cap or it makes them spend Draft Capitol and developmental time. Basically, it keeps them down. I'm of the opinion that you do all you can to make it harder for your Division to develop. The longer you keep them struggling to find balance, the better chance you provide yourself the opportunity to win your own division and that means playoffs. The more often you go, the better your chances of winning a championship.

This is basically what our Division has been doing to us, ever since Jimmy left the building.

Which that may be, but, until then, especially with the extra 3rd, our defence should be ready. Besides, like I said, they practically have to rebuild their whole team.

Verdict

Reaction score
Hard for me to ever like a trade with a rival team, especially Philly, no matter what. I don't know, a third is a third and in this draft, a lot of really good players in the 2nd through 4th round. But the strength of this draft is really the 2nd round IMO. I think the Cowboys probably could have gotten more, a 2nd or maybe another pick, out of Philly. The Eagles have a lot of picks this year so I think maybe the opportunity was there to get more but who knows?

Here's the thing, at least for me, this trade is a good one if the Cowboys can land a starter with that pick later on. If they can do that, then it's a good trade. If they can't, it's a really bad one, not because it's Parsons at 12 but because you gave a Division team air with that pick. Philly has Ertz and Reagor now. Those are two pretty good weapons. Now you allow them to move up and take a guy who can really hurt you, all over the field and that gives them three tough covers. You just gave a young QB enough talent to have a pretty good year and that's going to be a problem for you for the foreseeable future. You can't really look at that and call it a good trade if it works out that way.

I thought about everything you did. They are variables. Reasonable people can look at the same facts and draw different conclusions. That’s what makes this place interesting.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Some fans let their hate cloud their judgement
The giants trade wasn’t even close to being the same type of trade
I liked the move since both CB were gone

He has a track record of getting fleeced in trades. Joey galloway, Roy williams, Morris claiborne.

People are still angry about that.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I don’t think the tree the Giants got was better. We only move down two spots they move down to 20.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's not at all comparable, and if you hope to recreate that magic again, you're going to be waiting a long long time. I mean, if your argument is, "Dallas could have gotten Philly to make an insanely stupid offer," that's not much of an argument.

That's not comparable at all? I see, well, it's your story, you tell it.

I never said I hoped to do anything. That's you spinning that tale. I said I thought you could have gotten more out of Philly to move up into the top 10. They have more picks then they can use so yeah, I'm pretty sure we could have. Lastly, you haven't said one thing in this thread that makes a lot of sense. You, my friend, are not the standard to which I look to, on all things argument. But everybody is entitled to opinion so there you go. You have yours and I clearly have mine.