Jerry: Garrett brilliant but needs playoff wins

ShortRound

Reaction score

“We got to get some playoff wins. Jason needs a championship. We all do. Our fans do,” Jones said. “We get that done and you’re going to be shocked at all of a sudden his record of coaching and his coaching qualities, all of a sudden become the most-noted thing about him, not lack thereof of playoff victories.”

Reaction score
Jerry has thrown down the gauntlet.

He thinks he has put together the players to win a championship. He thinks Cooper was the last piece. Now it's up the Garrett to coach them there. So if they don't win, it's on Garrett and Garrett alone.

I don't think he can do it. But we'll see.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
Jerry has thrown down the gauntlet.

He thinks he has put together the players to win a championship. Now it's up the Garrett to coach them there. So if they don't win, it's on Garrett and Garrett alone.

I don't think he can do it. But we'll see.
I heard his answer and I agree. I thought Jerry was sending the message that it’s now or never for JG to make a serious run. Jerry in his rambling way, basically said that the criticism of JG is warranted.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Very true. Postseason wins will completely change the outlook on this coaching staff. People will still mock his clapping.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I don't agree on the players. This is not a championship offense quite yet. Maybe it can improve, or if the Special Teams was better I'd say it's a chance, but we need to score more points.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
In fairness to Garrett, he should have more playoff wins. 2014 was stolen by the league and 2016 took a magical play to happen.

I'm not trying to make excuses, Garrett has his warts, but it isn't as though the COwboys have gone into games and gotten blown out.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I'll add one more in defense of Garrett and the coaching staff - the rosters were garbage between when he took over (2010) and 2013. I keep seeing 1 playoff game in 8 years (some say 9). 2011-2013 were competitive only in Romo and some other bluechippers dragging garbage OLs and defenses kicking and screaming into December. Blame what you want on the coaching but 2012 was the only time I really saw any "give" on the teams, but those rosters were not playoff level anyway.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I don't agree on the players. This is not a championship offense quite yet. Maybe it can improve, or if the Special Teams was better I'd say it's a chance, but we need to score more points.
This Offense has the talent( though O line pass blocking needs to improve), but it needs more help from the coaches. Garrett and Linehan could help the Offense out a lot more by doing a better job of scheming receivers open, and being less predictable in their play calls. Throw the ball more on 1st down to help the O lineman.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Playoffs? All I need to see at this point is 2 big wins in a row, last week was a pleasant surprise, this week needs to come out strong, not timid. I also need to see him correct Scott if he goes off track. That's it.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
This Offense has the talent( though O line pass blocking needs to improve), but it needs more help from the coaches. Garrett and Linehan could help the Offense out a lot more by doing a better job of scheming receivers open, and being less predictable in their play calls. Throw the ball more on 1st down to help the O lineman.

I don't know that passing more on first down helps an OL that struggles to pass block. That said, they are 30th in the league on first down pass percentage at 53%. At least the league has no idea what they are doing in that situation, but doing it more would only help if it's successful. I don't trust this passing game enough for that.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
In fairness to Garrett, he should have more playoff wins. 2014 was stolen by the league and 2016 took a magical play to happen.

I'm not trying to make excuses, Garrett has his warts, but it isn't as though the COwboys have gone into games and gotten blown out.
You are making excuses. Garrett could have coached better in those games and had the players better prepared to win!

rags747

Reaction score
Its not Garrett at this point, it all rests on Dak's shoulders. This is where the big boys step up and make a name for themselves. Win the SB Dak and you get your $30M per year contract. This is where Dak can become Roger Staubach or Troy Aikman, this team is ready now Dak!