Jerry: Garrett brilliant but needs playoff wins

visionary

Reaction score
In fairness to Garrett, he should have more playoff wins. 2014 was stolen by the league and 2016 took a magical play to happen.

I'm not trying to make excuses, Garrett has his warts, but it isn't as though the COwboys have gone into games and gotten blown out.

By that reasoning he shouldn't have had the win against the lions

There are always things that happen in games
Good coaches overcome them

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I don't know that passing more on first down helps an OL that struggles to pass block. That said, they are 30th in the league on first down pass percentage at 53%. At least the league has no idea what they are doing in that situation, but doing it more would only help if it's successful. I don't trust this passing game enough for that.
We should be better at passing on 1st down. Most teams are in their base defense on 1st down expecting us to run. This should slow down the pass rush a little. Our play calls are to predictable. We run on early downs, to much( especially when the other team is waiting for it) and pass on 3rd down. When a defense can predict what you are doing it is easier for them to stop you, especially in today’s NFL with the talent level so even throughout the league.

Sydla

Reaction score
In fairness to Garrett, he should have more playoff wins. 2014 was stolen by the league and 2016 took a magical play to happen.

I'm not trying to make excuses, Garrett has his warts, but it isn't as though the COwboys have gone into games and gotten blown out.

If we are going to play this game of what ifs and things that happened, the 2014 "win" against Detroit was likely a loss if the referees don't miss a pretty obvious pass interference

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Jerry has thrown down the gauntlet.

He thinks he has put together the players to win a championship. He thinks Cooper was the last piece. Now it's up the Garrett to coach them there. So if they don't win, it's on Garrett and Garrett alone.

I don't think he can do it. But we'll see.

Yep... gauntlet thrown down. All their goals are still achievable and within their grasp despite their early struggles.

Not only that— they are at home and get to win the division on their terms.

The timing of this comment is intentional and it is brilliant. The New Orleans game proved that they can compete at a championship level— now they need to get to the playoffs and win there— and Jerry is letting his expectations be known.

Biggest game of Garrett’s career is on Sunday. Crap the bed and the fire gets hotter for sure— win and take the next step towards greatness.

Pants

Reaction score

“We got to get some playoff wins. Jason needs a championship. We all do. Our fans do,” Jones said. “We get that done and you’re going to be shocked at all of a sudden his record of coaching and his coaching qualities, all of a sudden become the most-noted thing about him, not lack thereof of playoff victories.”

This is dangerously close to changing my opinion oh ol’ JJ. In theory, pants wins. I either see the NFCCG or Garrett on the unemployment line

(Sets reminder on colander for late January)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
“We got to get some playoff wins. Jason needs a championship. We all do. Our fans do,” Jones said. “We get that done and you’re going to be shocked at all of a sudden his record of coaching and his coaching qualities, all of a sudden become the most-noted thing about him, not lack thereof of playoff victories.”

The delusion is getting lured into believing that Garrett can win a championship when history says it isn't likely. There are very few coaches who have led their teams to Super Bowl titles if they haven't won one within the first five years with that team.

Now, some of it is obviously that coaches who don't win titles usually don't last beyond the first five years, but considering the coaches who have won the Super Bowl, getting an initial title past five years with a team is an anomaly.

Going backward to the last time it happened, you have:

Doug Pederson (2nd year with Philadelphia)

Bill Belichick (who his first one with New England in his second year with the Patriots)

Ron Rivera (first year with Denver)

Pete Carroll (fourth year with Seattle)

John Harbaugh (fifth year with Baltimore)

Tom Coughlin (first one was fourth year in New York)

Mike McCarthy (fifth year in Green Bay)

Sean Payton (fourth year in New Orleans)

Mike Tomlin (second year in Pittsburgh)

Tony Dungy (fifth year in Indianapolis)

EXCEPTION
Bill Cowher in 2006 (14th year in Pittsburgh)

Jon Gruden (first year in Tampa Bay)

Brian Billick (second year in Baltimore)

Dick Vermeil (third year in St. Louis)

Mike Shanahan (first one was third year in Denver)

Mike Holmgren (fifth year in Green Bay)

Barry Switzer (second year in Dallas)

George Seifert (first year in San Francisco)

Jimmy Johnson (fourth year in Dallas)

Joe Gibbs (first one was second year in Washington)

Bill Parcells (first one was fourth year in New York)

That takes us back to 1990 with just the one exception. The next exception isn't until 1980, when Chuck Noll won his fourth with Pittsburgh. He didn't win his first until his sixth year, but this was all before the salary cap.

It should be noted as well that several of these coaches had failed with other teams before landing in a spot where they had the right combination of front-office leadership and talent for their coaching style to work.

Jason Garrett is in his eighth full season as coach after taking over for half a season in 2010. History is against him winning a Super Bowl with this team, and it's too bad for us fans that Jerry doesn't understand that.

Last edited:

Vandyr

Reaction score
Yep. He should have coached Murray not to fumble or told a mediocre defense to stop Aaron Rodgers. Dumb coaches never get it.

Fumbles come down to coaching, but I'll give you that one.. The defensive scheme in that game, however, was put in place by the coaches. And it was awful.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Its not Garrett at this point, it all rests on Dak's shoulders. This is where the big boys step up and make a name for themselves. Win the SB Dak and you get your $30M per year contract. This is where Dak can become Roger Staubach or Troy Aikman, this team is ready now Dak!
Also need to see if Zeke can become Tony Dorsett or Emmitt Smith.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I for one hope Garrett can get this team across the finish line and can compete for a SB. I have also said if he fails and gets fired it will not be because he was not given ample opportunity, he has.

I know Jerry talked in the past about his firing of Gailey and I feel he is giving Garrett every opportunity but it will not last if this team can't win. ………...

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones has said one of his bigger regrets was firing Gailey after two seasons. Gailey went 18-14 in 1998-99 and made the playoffs both seasons. The Cowboys fell into a 5-11 spiral for three straight years after Gailey’s departure at the tail ends of the careers of Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith.

The decision not to draft Randy Moss in the first round in 1998 haunted the franchise for years and Gailey was the biggest reason why it didn’t happen.

In this piece on Gailey from NFL Nation Jets reporter Rich Cimini, Gailey described the experience of working for Jones as “interesting.” He's a hands-on guy,” Gailey said. “He's probably the most hands-on guy I've been around as far as an owner goes. It was different, but he was not unfair. He didn't come in and change meetings. All those horror stories you heard, they're not true. He treated us well and allowed me to do my job. It just didn't work out."

http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...an-gailey-jerry-jones-horror-stories-not-true

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Fumbles come down to coaching, but I'll give you that one.. The defensive scheme in that game, however, was put in place by the coaches. And it was awful.

It wasn't great, but I feel like that shell coverage was what they had played all year. Only so much you can do on defense with the players we had at the time.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll add one more in defense of Garrett and the coaching staff - the rosters were garbage between when he took over (2010) and 2013. I keep seeing 1 playoff game in 8 years (some say 9). 2011-2013 were competitive only in Romo and some other bluechippers dragging garbage OLs and defenses kicking and screaming into December. Blame what you want on the coaching but 2012 was the only time I really saw any "give" on the teams, but those rosters were not playoff level anyway.
Respectfully, I would just say it’s ok to defend an NFL head coach with an argument of “needing more time and patience” when the coach is in his first 2-4 years. In their 8th year? It’s time to produce playoff wins (plural) or hit the highway.

Garrett has had more than enough time and patience. No excuses. Win now or pack your bags, I realize we have an owner who has a strange set of expectations...just saying what I believe should happen under “normal” NFL circumstances with appropriate expectations.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Yep. He should have coached Murray not to fumble or told a mediocre defense to stop Aaron Rodgers. Dumb coaches never get it.
Maybe if he would have clock managed better AR wouldn't have had a chance to beat our sorry defense. And he does it all the time. I'm sure he'll do something equally stupid this year. It's one thing with Garrett you can count on.

lk8701

Reaction score
Jerry has thrown down the gauntlet.

He thinks he has put together the players to win a championship. He thinks Cooper was the last piece. Now it's up the Garrett to coach them there. So if they don't win, it's on Garrett and Garrett alone.

I don't think he can do it. But we'll see.

Dak should be held accountable too.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I don't agree on the players. This is not a championship offense quite yet. Maybe it can improve, or if the Special Teams was better I'd say it's a chance, but we need to score more points.

Still need upgrades at safety and DT but what team doesn’t have a couple holes? This team with its running game and defense is built for this time of year when teams are battered and tired and when the weather turns cold. Go get us a division title and playoff wins or pack your stuff Garrett!