Jerry: Garrett brilliant but needs playoff wins

Buzzbait

Reaction score

“We got to get some playoff wins. Jason needs a championship. We all do. Our fans do,” Jones said. “We get that done and you’re going to be shocked at all of a sudden his record of coaching and his coaching qualities, all of a sudden become the most-noted thing about him, not lack thereof of playoff victories.

Well Jerry if Ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As far as JG is concerned, the best things I'm seeing him accomplish is attitude bolstering and cheerleading.

Other than that, his career has been mostly average and in some cases, less than that. JJ loves him though.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
And they should. He shouldn't be clapping when a game is out of hand and we turn the ball over. It's just dumb.
Very true. Postseason wins will completely change the outlook on this coaching staff. People will still mock his clapping.

heir

Reaction score
IMHO, to me this HARDLY sounds like Jerry throwing down the guantlet or setting a hard line ultimatum. He is basically saying, "Jason is so smart and ince we start winning you all will see it too." For those wanted Garrett fired, I don't get your hopes up based off of these comments.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And they should. He shouldn't be clapping when a game is out of hand and we turn the ball over. It's just dumb.

It's a mannerism. What's dumb is the amount of attention it gets. This isn't the cupcake show we had under Wade by evidence in how these guys have fought the last 8 years.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Normally I don't agree with Jerry conducting this type of behavior but he is clearly sending a message to Jason.

I also feel he knows that coaches like Urban Meyers (another fake retirement in my opinion), Jim Harbaugh (due to rumors and looking into options) and Mike McCarthy (I don't want him as coach) are available.

Also keeping Kris Richard and promoting him as Head Coach is a factor.

This^^^^first time I can remember Jerry laying out such defined expectation for Garrett, especially during the season. Like you mention, I wonder if there a replacement he's has his eyes on. Hell, he didn't just stop Garrett needs to make the postseason but he needs to get there AND win.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
I think garrett has to get this team to the playoffs and win there or I think he will lose his job

Ddisco22

Reaction score

“We got to get some playoff wins. Jason needs a championship. We all do. Our fans do,” Jones said. “We get that done and you’re going to be shocked at all of a sudden his record of coaching and his coaching qualities, all of a sudden become the most-noted thing about him, not lack thereof of playoff victories.”

Sounds to me like its do or die this season for JG

droopdog7

Reaction score
We should be better at passing on 1st down. Most teams are in their base defense on 1st down expecting us to run. This should slow down the pass rush a little. Our play calls are to predictable. We run on early downs, to much( especially when the other team is waiting for it) and pass on 3rd down. When a defense can predict what you are doing it is easier for them to stop you, especially in today’s NFL with the talent level so even throughout the league.
Of course, this strategy would also mean running Zeke less because if you aren’t successful on first down then people would be pissed if we ran on 2nd and 10. Also, was listening to a podcast recently where a coach on the sideline basically predicted every pass/run play in a game. People make WAY to much of knowing when a team will do one or the other.

As far as scheme, which people love to mention, I pretty much just igonore those comments. The typical fan has no clue what scheme does what. They say it because it sounds right.

droopdog7

Reaction score
He should have more playoff wins but he doesn’t. The non-catch in 2014 was, by rule, at the time, the right call. The Murray fumble lost that game. And in 2016 the Cowboys were down 21 - 3 right out of the gate because Garrett rested his players after week 16 and they were freaking flat as all get out. That’s directly on him.

This year is everything for him.
The iggles rested their players last year, and EVERY team would, and won the Super Bowl. That had nothing to do with winning and losing in the playoffs.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
COPY THAT!:thumbup:

* Our FOOTBALL DAD really,really,really WANTS US to have NICE things,,,ya knowo_O

This is why we can't have "Nice things" :laugh:

https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEGYVvYavZN7V1AoibWKcrmOvGz555re_ByHaZTPF4bjrGr3IM

TheHerd

Reaction score
The problem I see is that Garrett coaches to make every game a coin toss at the end. To win the big one, that says even with a first round bye you have a 1 in 8 chance of a Super Bowl. 1 in 16 with no bye.

So how long until we get into the playoffs 8-16 times?

Diehardblues

Reaction score

“We got to get some playoff wins. Jason needs a championship. We all do. Our fans do,” Jones said. “We get that done and you’re going to be shocked at all of a sudden his record of coaching and his coaching qualities, all of a sudden become the most-noted thing about him, not lack thereof of playoff victories.”

Jerry always playing to the fans. Lol

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Normally I don't agree with Jerry conducting this type of behavior but he is clearly sending a message to Jason.

I also feel he knows that coaches like Urban Meyers (another fake retirement in my opinion), Jim Harbaugh (due to rumors and looking into options) and Mike McCarthy (I don't want him as coach) are available.

Also keeping Kris Richard and promoting him as Head Coach is a factor.

This is what I am thinking too. It seems like there are/could be some very good coaching candidates available this year and I think Jerry recognizes that.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Sat Romo yes. Let him walk...joke. The guy was done and so was his wife. He retired. If he wanted to play and could play, he would have done so.

They invited Romo to walk.

They weren't giving him a chance to compete with Dak. He retired instead of being Dak's backup. And it's not like the Cowboys were going to pay Tony starter money to ride the pine. The Cowboys were done with him but tried to squeeze out a pick for him. If they just release him after the season, he probably finds a team.

After free agency was done, with his injury history, the opportunities for good situations were done. He got a really unheard of opportunity to start at the top as an announcer. Probably would have still looked for opportunities to play without that.

If the Cowboys let hm compete with Dak for the starting spot, I doubt Romo retires.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The problem I see is that Garrett coaches to make every game a coin toss at the end. To win the big one, that says even with a first round bye you have a 1 in 8 chance of a Super Bowl. 1 in 16 with no bye.
Odds are worse than that.

Coin toss games are exactly those where clock management is most important, and Garrett is horrible.

pitt33

Reaction score
The iggles rested their players last year, and EVERY team would, and won the Super Bowl. That had nothing to do with winning and losing in the playoffs.
No. I have to disagree here.

The Patriots don’t rest their players and they go every year.

And Garrett didn’t play anyone this preseason and looked the part when the regular season started. They were rusty as hell.

Players need to keep their edge.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
until he can get his team to the playoffs on a regular basis and have some deep playoff runs he is what he is a average coach at best