Jerry: Garrett is safe

khiladi

Reaction score
What was the name of the poster who's no longer here, he had an astronomical amount of post and thought that Garrett was the next Landry. He ended up leaving here and going to another website with all the people that thought like him. I wonder what he thinks of Garrett now.

Hostile.. he was the biggest proponent of it, but believe me, he had plenty of followers and this idea was floated for years.

Coy

Reaction score
I wish we could go back to 3-5 and keep losing. I have always wanted to win in the face of keeping our terrible coaches, but now....I just can't take it. I can't take wasting more careers and talent just to keep a checker-playing puppet on the sidelines while other teams move on and evolve. Jerry doesn't care about winning, but he cares about viewership and money. Until we tank a season, we will be sitting here, at best, PRAYING that we can at least just get rid of the worst OC in the NFL, and even that might not happen.

I really though this was the year, at 3-5 I thought no way Garrett comes back..... I guess we had a good second half of the season and that bought Garrett at least another year, the question is, was it worth it? Guess we`ll wait and see. But honestly I`d much rather have had an 8-8 season and change this coaching staff.

It is what it is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I get that! And agree completely. I've said all along his main drive isn't winning it is winning it his way to say "told you so." But it still doesn't sit well with me. I think that is where JG drives people nuts...decent enough not to suck completely and lose his job but not good enough to win it all. But an answer....unless it hits a pocketbook, which it never will...then we wait/
Yep

Garrett is perfect for Jerry’s agenda.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm no psychiatrist, but if Jerry truly beleives that Garret was in line for 5 head coaching offers, that might be a sign of cognitive hallucination and cause for an evaluation...........or he's lying through his teeth as usual.
Jerrys doing as he always does, just promoting his product. It doesn’t have to be truthful if he believes it to be true.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I really though this was the year, at 3-5 I thought no way Garrett comes back..... I guess we had a good second half of the season and that bought Garrett at least another year, the question is, was it worth it? Guess we`ll wait and see. But honestly I`d much rather have had an 8-8 season and change this coaching staff.

It is what it is.

I think even 8-8 continues Garrett's reign. Jerry would spin it as we were only a couple wins away. It will take a horrible season and major upheaval from fans and media during the year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That is who we were and aspire to be again. What we are right now is anyone's guess. Jerry can't live forever. This too shall pass.
And no guarantees the next owner will be any better. Stephen could be worse.

But regardless it’s silly to have SB as the bar simply because it was at one time.

The Dallas Cowboys dont necessarily represent a SB or Bust expectation.

For example , once Brady and Bill are done who will expect Patriots to win championships?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

If there’s any question about Jason Garrett’s future with Cowboys, Jerry Jones ended that, while speaking on 105.3 The Fan on Tuesday. “If Jason Garrett was on the market two weeks ago, he would’ve had five offers for head coach," Jones said. "I know that. And so you’ve got to look at what your alternative is.”

That's a bizarre quote. IMO Garrett would be hard pressed to get any HC offer from another NFL team. Coordinator -- maybe. And I think he could have a shot at a college HC position or a CFL one. Maybe. Even that's not for sure. But I think most of the league sees him as a mediocre coach who's not a bottom feeder, but definitely isn't elite.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Yep.

Its why I chuckle when people claim Jerry really wants to win.

Not really. If he really wanted to win, he'd be dogged in his pursuit of the SB. He wouldn't be afraid of change.

He simply wants to win on his terms, his way. That way he can hog the glory of the run to a championship. But wanting to win your way isn't the same as really wanting to win.

Well said!!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well for starters, I am not sure where you are going with the Coughlin example. Coughlin was a two time SB winning coach, who also was successful in Jax and in college. So letting him go, given his track record of success, was a risk. Garrett doesn't even being to sniff the resume of Coughlin, so firing him carries way less risk because he's done zero to date. So I am not sure this parallel you are trying to make, even begins to make sense.

As for the Chargers letting Schottenheimer go............ the year after they fired him, they were in the AFC Champ game. So in one sense, yes, they actually did improve after firing a highly successful coach (at least for that season, Turner kind of fizzled out after that).

And yes, you can be "mediocre" when you win a few divisions but spit the bit in the playoffs. We are lumped in with a bunch of other teams that win a couple of division crowns here or there, get bounced from the playoffs and slink off into the sunset. That's mediocre. It's not bad like the teams who don't make the playoffs but it's not good like the teams that win divisions, then make real noise in the playoffs. We are right in the middle, the teams that spit out a few good seasons here or there but are largely non-factors in the postseason.
no we can keep doing this on 25 different threads but they arent medicore, we dont finish 16 th in the league and ae in top 16 in the last 10yrs in wins..sorry keep fighting it, we just happen to be lumped in with the 9 teams who have 12 teams that have a shot at the SB but fall short as theres only 2 making it and typically not the same one..

My examples were of teams that ,made a change but in the long run it didnt help, making changes dont always work out, its means nothing in improving but it simply gets new faces and quotes..the possibility of getting new HC and OC does wonders for us and possibly improves us but no way shape or form does it guarantee success..ike I said im ready for changes for that reason but not sitting here thinking it puts us into the sb in 2 years..thats an anamoly, it can happen but most likely we are the same or worse..

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

If there’s any question about Jason Garrett’s future with Cowboys, Jerry Jones ended that, while speaking on 105.3 The Fan on Tuesday. “If Jason Garrett was on the market two weeks ago, he would’ve had five offers for head coach," Jones said. "I know that. And so you’ve got to look at what your alternative is.”

As well he should be.

birdwells1

Reaction score
One, we all know Jerry wants Jason Garrett to be successful. If nothing else, because it validates Jerry.

Two, five offers? No chance. Unless those 5 offers came from Princeton University, Highland Park High School, Blinn Community College, the San Antonio Commanders, and the Berlin Rebels. He says and does some crazy things but there is no way Jerry truly believes there are 5 NFL teams that would have pounced on Jason Garrett as a head coach.

Highland Park? The just won their 3rd UIL State Championship in a row in ATT Stadium and currently have the longest winning streak in the state. There's no way in the world they would trade head coaches with the Cowboys.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I wish we could have gotten the opportunity to see if JG would have gotten that many offers.........stop teasing us Jerrah!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Teams develop championship expectations from current history. Not from history 25-40 years ago.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Yep.

Its why I chuckle when people claim Jerry really wants to win.

Not really. If he really wanted to win, he'd be dogged in his pursuit of the SB. He wouldn't be afraid of change.

He simply wants to win on his terms, his way. That way he can hog the glory of the run to a championship. But wanting to win your way isn't the same as really wanting to win.

Could not agree more and have expressed the same sentiment over and over. Wanting to win with your toy only on your own terms is very different than flat out wanting to win.

If winning was of the utmost importance to Jerry, he'd have hired a top GM a long, long time ago.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wish we could have gotten the opportunity to see if JG would have gotten that many offers.........stop teasing us Jerrah!
I think it’s reasonable to assume he might have had some offers. 5 is probably a stretch but looking at the other HC’s recently hired Garrett certainly seems like a potential .