Jerry: Garrett is safe

birdwells1

Reaction score
Hostile.. he was the biggest proponent of it, but believe me, he had plenty of followers and this idea was floated for years.

Yeah, that's right Hostile, back before we hired JG he and I debated the merits of interviewing all available candidates. I felt that you should and if JG turned out to be the best one then hire him, he felt that you just give him the job because it was a forgone conclusion that he was going to be great.

My thoughts on JG is that his resume was too short to become a head coach in this league, he was around the same age as Sean Payton but with his only experience was being a qb coach in Miami. He was and is over his head as coach of the Cowboys.

Sydla

Reaction score
no we can keep doing this on 25 different threads but they arent medicore, we dont finish 16 th in the league and ae in top 16 in the last 10yrs in wins..sorry keep fighting it, we just happen to be lumped in with the 9 teams who have 12 teams that have a shot at the SB but fall short as theres only 2 making it and typically not the same one..

My examples were of teams that ,made a change but in the long run it didnt help, making changes dont always work out, its means nothing in improving but it simply gets new faces and quotes..the possibility of getting new HC and OC does wonders for us and possibly improves us but no way shape or form does it guarantee success..ike I said im ready for changes for that reason but not sitting here thinking it puts us into the sb in 2 years..thats an anamoly, it can happen but most likely we are the same or worse..

Making changes don't always work out. No one suggested otherwise (although your Coughlin point was kind of silly).

But making a change carries way more risk when you are replacing someone who has had some level of success compared to one who hasn't. In other words, if Garrett had gotten us to a couple of NFC Title games and we were thinking of making a change, that certainly is a riskier move than replacing a coach who hasn't sniffed a title game in 8 years.

It's a bizarre argument to make at this point. It's also bizarre to just assume we won't improve if we hire a new coach. It all depends on the coach Jerry hires. And if your response is, well Jerry is likely to make a mistake in the next hire, then that really calls into question whether we should give him the benefit of the doubt when he tries to tell us Garrett is the next great thing.

And yes, we are a middle of the pack NFL team when you look over Garrett's tenure. We've won a few division titles, won a couple of playoff games, never sniffed a conference title game. We haven't sucked for the entire run, but we haven't been great. Since Garrett took over 12 of the 16 NFC teams have made the NFCCG. Only the Skins, Lions and Bucs along with Dallas, have failed to get to a NFCCG over this 8.5 year run.

It's bizarre that one would argue we've been a successful team over this period.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And no guarantees the next owner will be any better. Stephen could be worse.

But regardless it’s silly to have SB as the bar simply because it was at one time.

The Dallas Cowboys dont necessarily represent a SB or Bust expectation.

For example , once Brady and Bill are done who will expect Patriots to win championships?

That is only true if you are looking at each year in a vacuum with no context. The big picture is whats transpired over the past 20+ years. While my expectation is not to win 3 super bowls in 4 years. Not even a divisional round playoff win over a 23 year period is abysmal for any organization and by any standard.

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry should have used that logic with Tony Romo, one who actually deserved it..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Making changes don't always work out. No one suggested otherwise (although your Coughlin point was kind of silly).

But making a change carries way more risk when you are replacing someone who has had some level of success compared to one who hasn't. In other words, if Garrett had gotten us to a couple of NFC Title games and we were thinking of making a change, that certainly is a riskier move than replacing a coach who hasn't sniffed a title game in 8 years.

It's a bizarre argument to make at this point. It's also bizarre to just assume we won't improve if we hire a new coach. It all depends on the coach Jerry hires. And if your response is, well Jerry is likely to make a mistake in the next hire, then that really calls into question whether we should give him the benefit of the doubt when he tries to tell us Garrett is the next great thing.

And yes, we are a middle of the pack NFL team when you look over Garrett's tenure. We've won a few division titles, won a couple of playoff games, never sniffed a conference title game. We haven't sucked for the entire run, but we haven't been great. Since Garrett took over 12 of the 16 NFC teams have made the NFCCG. Only the Skins, Lions and Bucs along with Dallas, have failed to get to a NFCCG over this 8.5 year run.

It's bizarre that one would argue we've been a successful team over this period.
no its not the Gants should have stayed with Coughlin say 2 more years and maybe they turn it around instead they spend 200 mil on FA defensive spree change coaches twice and are 5-11 what 2 yrs in row and last place?

my point was changing coaches to get better can make you worse as well..its what Jerry is seeing around the league, finding lightening in bottle like Mcvay&KC and having players to support those systems doesnt happen a lot, its an anomaly and isn't true in most cases as you see teams like Cleveland and Tennessee Jacksonville etc do it a lot and still going nowhere and all the rave about Jacksonville ;last year and look now, at least we are consistently relative and have chance..no giant dips while in fact we have nearly rebuilt this team with more then a70% player turnover since 2016? still got to round 2, sue we want more, I want more but we are not those tams and right at this moment you have to judge this team since 2016 they arent responsible for carrying JG and Jerrys mistakes going back 10-20 yrs.. sorry they dont, new ERa need fair chance and are NOT mediocre..

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That is only true if you are looking at each year in a vacuum with no context. The big picture is whats transpired over the past 20+ years. While my expectation is not to win 3 super bowls in 4 years. Not even a divisional round playoff win over a 23 year period is abysmal for any organization and by any standard.
That’s a reasonable argument.

I thought I’d take a look and see how many teams in last 20 years haven’t had much success in playoffs .
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/70se9i/playoff_wins_for_the_last_20_years/

4 teams without a playoff win - Det, Clev, Buff, Cinn
Chiefs - 1 win
Dallas , Wash- 2 wins
Chic,Mia,Jax, Hou- 3 wins
Minn, Oak, SD/LA, Tampa- 4 wins

So, we’re right in the mix of bottom tier of teams in NFL this era which I think pretty well describes this era

Teams with less than 10 playoff games last 20 years
Cowboys 10

These are teams with less than 10
Chi, Cinn, Buff, Clev, Tampa, KC, Mia, Jax, Det, Oak, Wash, Hou.

Again we are in bottom tier with 12 below us.
Why would we have higher expectations this era?

mrmojo

Reaction score
I'm still dumbfounded on the cleats comment...........who told Jerry this and why did he think it was important to repeat.......this organization loves excuses.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Jerry absolutely right about Garret getting offers. People around here still thinking he'll never get another job and he has what he has only because of Jerry couldn't be more wrong.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Count em. 5 offers.

No coach has gotten 5 offers this offseason. So Jason Garrett would have been the most coveted coach in the league if he was available.

Bathe in it. Tom Landry II.

Oh, and we had the wrong cleats on Saturday. With the right shoes we're probably winning a Championship this year.

Seinfeld-Leaving.gif

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Jerry absolutely right about Garret getting offers. People around here still thinking he'll never get another job and he has what he has only because of Jerry couldn't be more wrong.

Jerry is correct. The majority of NFL teams do not know how to hire a coach, that's why so many of the same teams seem to recycle coaches every few years. We just had one mediocre coach get fired and re-hired in the same division. It's absurd. Garrett would have absolutely gotten offers, but that speaks more to the sad state of the NFL's hiring process than it does to his ability.

Sydla

Reaction score
no its not the Gants should have stayed with Coughlin say 2 more years and maybe they turn it around instead they spend 200 mil on FA defensive spree change coaches twice and are 5-11 what 2 yrs in row and last place?

my point was changing coaches to get better can make you worse as well..its what Jerry is seeing around the league, finding lightening in bottle like Mcvay&KC and having players to support those systems doesnt happen a lot, its an anomaly and isn't true in most cases as you see teams like Cleveland and Tennessee Jacksonville etc do it a lot and still going nowhere and all the rave about Jacksonville ;last year and look now, at least we are consistently relative and have chance..no giant dips while in fact we have nearly rebuilt this team with more then a70% player turnover since 2016? still got to round 2, sue we want more, I want more but we are not those tams and right at this moment you have to judge this team since 2016 they arent responsible for carrying JG and Jerrys mistakes going back 10-20 yrs.. sorry they dont, new ERa need fair chance and are NOT mediocre..

So you set the bar low. Just be "relevant" and hope we get lucky and get on a roll.

Of course we could hire someone worse. But it's not like we are currently setting the world on fire now. Which is why the Coughlin comparison continues to be weird. The Giants took a massive risk moving on from a 2 time SB winner. We'd be moving on from a zero time NFCCG coach. The comparisons aren't even in the same realm.

And no, coaches having immediate impacts on their team is not an anomaly. You mentioned McVay and I guess Kansas City. But there is also Philly. Doug Pederson won a SB in his 2nd year. Dan Quinn had the Falcons in a SB in Year 2. Turnarounds happen more frequently than you think.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Jerry is correct. The majority of NFL teams do not know how to hire a coach, that's why so many of the same teams seem to recycle coaches every few years. We just had one mediocre coach get fired and re-hired in the same division. It's absurd. Garrett would have absolutely gotten offers, but that speaks more to the sad state of the NFL's hiring process than it does to his ability.
I think it speaks more to the difficulty of the coaching job. Very very few people can do it well. And while many fans will not agree that Garrett does it well, the numbers, especially in the last few seasons, are very good and trending up. Obviously coaches are ultimately judged on winning the big one (or even getting to it) but really, I want a coach that will get us as many bites at the apple as possible. Garrett will continue to do that.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
I think it speaks more to the difficulty of the coaching job. Very very few people can do it well. And while many fans will not agree that Garrett does it well, the numbers, especially in the last few seasons, are very good and trending up. Obviously coaches are ultimately judged on winning the big one (or even getting to it) but really, I want a coach that will get us as many bites at the apple as possible. Garrett will continue to do that.

I would disagree with this. We're barely nibbling at the apple. And if past history is any indicator, we're likely in store for an 8-8/9-7 season next year.

droopdog7

Reaction score
I would disagree with this. We're barely nibbling at the apple. And if past history is any indicator, we're likely in store for an 8-8/9-7 season next year.
I don't disagree that garrett is at the end of his rope and think a non-playoff season next year will get him fired. This has always been a year to year thing.

As for bites at the apple, the playoffs qualify in book as bites at the apple. Garrett has not gotten it done. But I don't mind the trajectory of the team and feel next year will be even better than this year.

doomsday808

Reaction score

If there’s any question about Jason Garrett’s future with Cowboys, Jerry Jones ended that, while speaking on 105.3 The Fan on Tuesday. “If Jason Garrett was on the market two weeks ago, he would’ve had five offers for head coach," Jones said. "I know that. And so you’ve got to look at what your alternative is.”

giphy.gif

blueblood70

Reaction score
So you set the bar low. Just be "relevant" and hope we get lucky and get on a roll.

Of course we could hire someone worse. But it's not like we are currently setting the world on fire now. Which is why the Coughlin comparison continues to be weird. The Giants took a massive risk moving on from a 2 time SB winner. We'd be moving on from a zero time NFCCG coach. The comparisons aren't even in the same realm.

And no, coaches having immediate impacts on their team is not an anomaly. You mentioned McVay and I guess Kansas City. But there is also Philly. Doug Pederson won a SB in his 2nd year. Dan Quinn had the Falcons in a SB in Year 2. Turnarounds happen more frequently than you think.
where are the flacons now? this is my point thats an anomaly..we beat philly twice with our mediocre team, did they win the division? they got back once and BTW its silly to sight the eagles AS AN EXAMPLE WE SHOULD FOLLOW BUT WE ARE MEDIOCRE? THEY WON THER first SB..one in how many years did they exist 60?wow thats impressive..If Jerry sux and is the face of mediocrity what does that make the Falcons and Eagles given their very POOR amount of SB appearances and wins vs us..its not setting the bar low, its looki gat it from a POV I choose and that the last 3 years..

AGAIN for the last time im looking at this as new team headed in new direction 2016 until now the entire TEAM has been turned over without dipping into the trenches of Cleveland like domain of putrid football. we have been winning if you use the now not the past as an example..i refuse to call out team bad or mediocre or putrid but that doesnt make my bar set low because I see team that went 13-3 and 10-6 and been to the playoffs and won the division 2 0r 3 years and had it not been for the Zeke suspension and 17 injurys that got us 9-7 and 2nd place we could have had shot for playoffs 3 years in row..thats the reality , the bar is the SB and this new team is just now shooting for it..

we cant control whos the GM or the coach but we can support the TEAM , the STAR and IMO this team is on the rise not the other way around as you are pinning on JG, JG I wish was gone but hes not so all of you griping about it isn't changing anything..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
But I don't mind the trajectory of the team and feel next year will be even better than this year.

How many times over the past 23 years have we felt that way? 13-3 in 2016 with a rookie quarterback and a mediocre defense, lost to the Aaron Rodgers magic, barely at that.

Then the next year, stink city, out of the playoffs.

You do realize that for the past 22 years the Cowboys have NEVER had consecutive 10 or more win seasons? So we can easily expect that this 10-6 year will be followed by 9-7 or worse next year.

There is reason for hope, with the team being so young, but every team in the league can say they have hope. Hope's not much to go on...