Jerry: "I love our core base"

garyo1954

Reaction score
Uncle Jerry would say, "Our GM is doing an outstanding job assembling this team and we feel....uh...uh...we feel like we're getting the uh...best value for our dollar which is going to lead to better days.....its going to be like one of those days when there's no wind and your kite just takes off and goes higher and higher until you're holding on to the end of the string. That's what we're shooting for like when they deliver your pizza and the order is wrong but its better than what you ordered so you just eat it and grin. And that's where this team is going. We're going to be like that pizza you didn't order."

Reaction score
I'm guessing this includes the following from the D, Jaylon, DLaw, Diggs and LVE.
Offense.....Dak, Zeke, Coop, Lamb, Gallup, Martin, Smith

In other words, it appears he has no interest in trading any second contract players ......for now. I suppose this response could be more about the immediate trade deadline on Nov 3 and not necessarily during the offseason. I can see it changing if we finish below 500 and no playoff.

Jerry emptied the keg of JWB for this beauty.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
But you know what...they aren't 0-7, they are 2-5. The ball bounces funny ways for all teams, even ones with winning records.
Two good bounces of the ball still doesn't excuse the substandard display of preparation, effort and will to win the past two weeks.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Something tells me that 40-year-old brain that Jerry's so proud of has seen better days. Even back then, it wasn't much to brag about. :rolleyes:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Something tells me that 40-year-old brain that Jerry's so proud of has seen better days. Even back then, it wasn't much to brag about. :rolleyes:
giphy.gif

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Jerry will die without raising another Lombardi with these losers!

Pappy the Jones always listen to the media for validation and the talking heads telling them fix the defense and keep Dak so as much as i like Trevor I don' think the Jones will draft a quarterback... and even if they want to he will be gonna before our turn..for me if we can get Kyle Trask i will be very happy

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm guessing this includes the following from the D, Jaylon, DLaw, Diggs and LVE.

In other words, it appears he has no interest in trading any second contract players ......for now. I suppose this response could be more about the immediate trade deadline on Nov 3 and not necessarily during the offseason. I can see it changing if we finish below 500 and no playoff.

And I’m sure Cowboys fans feel greatly reassured every time this owner/President/GM/jocks and socks sorter tells us “I’ve got this”. At some point the Koolaide stops working and fans just stop listening. I’ve been there since about 2008.

Jerry is great at selling and closing business deals. He sucks as general manager. But his $5 billion dollars keeps telling him he’s good at everything. Sadly for us fans, he believes it.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I’m sure Cowboys fans feel greatly reassured every time this owner/President/GM/jocks and socks sorter tells us “I’ve got this”. At some point the Koolaide stops working and fans just stop listening. I’ve been there since about 2008.

Jerry is great at selling and closing business deals. He sucks as general manager. But his $5 billion dollars keeps telling him he’s good at everything. Sadly for us fans, he believes it.
Your brain on Jerry's Koolaide...
giphy.gif

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I dont disagree with him. Theres more than a handful of pretty good players here.

The defense needs a full overhaul, probably starting with the coordinator (I think going back to a 43 is the fastest way to get better)....but they will have high picks and if by some miracle they use free agency, I'm not sure a full blow up is the answer.

They could however begin to be smarter about paying guys huge money who have mailed it in...

-JSmith needs to be off the field....
-Pollard needs to get more carries...
-I would still look into dealing Cooper....
-They need to stop carrying dead expensive weight like Crawford...
-Get better at recognizing when guys are done and stay away.

(The Cooper thing is only about dealing from a strength to improve a weakness quickly. It's not hate. Relax)
I agree.

Jerrah has to move very deliberately with all these needed changes.

People who want to attack the organization for what has happened thus far this season have no idea what Jones knew going into this coaching staff change from Garrett. He may have known the house cleaning was not finished.

We have to assume McCarthy had scouted the Cowboys before taking the job. He surely took the job knowing the core guys had already been signed except Dak.

And we have no way of knowing if Big Mike agreed or not with the signings. What we now see and what is being said by the owner has to be said to protect his equity in the franchise.

Jerrah may understand the need to get out of some of these deals now with the shrinking cap coupled with the poor play. But you just can't start firing and cutting and plummeting the team off a cliff.

As much as we are wanting more change..how it has to be obtained is a big issue. Do you really want to lose out over the rest of the year and look for a Top 3 draft pick?

If you do that..team profits will surely drop even more than anticipated and that has a domino effect on the operation. Remember..the Cowboys are only one asset of the overall financial holdings by the Jones.

Fans only look at the W-L records. The Jones family has to look out for the entire portfolio.

I think Jerrah knows mistakes have been made with the FAs they signed and have failed to help the team. They were never going to be key players in the long run. More just short term fixes until younger players could be developed.

But now with Daks injury..and the dismantling of the OL..two of the biggest assets we had been betting on to be there to build on are gone. This was totally unexpected and makes the whole time table of these
investments in jeopardy.

Now the team has to decide what is the new plan. Do you still hang on to the old blueprint and play Dak and give him his big deal? Has the team play connected to Dak being sidelined mean to get that back..we must sign Dak no matter the cost?

Or do you say no and try to find a new QB at a cheaper cost and take the money and fix the defense with the money not paid to a Prescott contract?

To muddy the waters more..how do you fix the defense quickly? Taking 3-4 years to do it means the high priced offensive players will waste their best years waiting for the defense to improve.

Is the defensive problems simply the coach or the scheme not fitting the players? Can the players still work with a different or a better scheme using the current players? The rest of the season has to be committed to answering that question.

I fall in the fans group that thinks it's now unaffordable to pursue Dak at his asking price. Money has to be shifted to the defense immediately and since the cap is not going to increase like it has for the last 5 years..

That money has to come from the offense. There is going to need to be some trades some redos and some releases to do it with any expediency.

I would expect to see a flurry of activity this off season by this team. McCarthy has next year and the year after that to re-establish his reputation and the team's.

After that..the Jones will move on.

They are never going to repeat what they did with Garrett.

Just my 2 cents.

:oops:

Wolfpack

Reaction score
This translates into:

Our core players are studs and we had the football know how to draft them and sign them long term. These other problems are silly and likely to go away next year. This is just a bad luck year. We’ve prepared for the long haul of winning with this group that the front office has put together. There are no leadership issues in the locker room because it’s my locker room and I’m in charge.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

I do not.

HotDog37

Reaction score

Sounds a lot like when someone once said "there's a lot of meat left on the bone". All Jerry jones does is talk and modify the narrative. He doesn't win anything football wise.

plymkr

Reaction score

I think any one of us could have written what that guy tweeted. All of our "core players" are locked up with expensive contracts. No team in the league is going to make a trade for these guys with their bad contracts. So Jerry may not be interested in trading some of these guys cuz he knows no one wants Zeke, Jaylon or DLaw for their price tag and little production. This was a worthless tweet IMO.

waving monkey

Reaction score

ugh

garyo1954

Reaction score
Jerry on his core.......

“I’m going to give you the canned answer: We’re always looking to improve,” said on his radio interview on The Fan.
Fan when asked about any potential midseason trades. “On the other hand, I feel very strongly that we’ve got a core of really outstanding players [with]in the NFL, And it hasn’t been a month ago, or six weeks ago, that that was getting unanimous thought around the NFL. We’ve got some outstanding players. We’ve got a lot of tread on the tire left on most of those key players.”

“Ten percent of the players get two-thirds of the money,” he reminded the radio audience. “So my point is, you’d better have good players getting that money in terms of just that aspect of it- just financial- apart from what’s inside them. And boy, I love what’s inside [DeMarcus] Lawrence. I love what’s inside our linebacker Jaylon Smith. And man, do I like what’s inside [La’el] Collins and Tyron Smith and [Zack] Martin. And so when you put where we’re expending our dollars, talent-wise, or what’s inside them, and the tread they’ve got left on the tire, I love our core base.”