Jerry is between a rock and a hard place

kskboys

Reaction score
Jerry knows Garrett is a terrible coach. But Jerry desperately wanted to groom a guy he had since a young player and could tout how great he is at finding him. He has doubled down and digging even deeper in this position in backing Jason. He could have easily fired him after three straight 8-8 seasons in 2013 and no one would have batted an eye. I mean up to that point, 3 years was usually the lifespan of a Cowboys coach aside from Jimmy (who didn't last a lot longer). Jason lost 3 straight NFC East defacto championship games that would have netted home playoff games. If not those years, he should have 100% been fired and the rest of the staff for how they dealt with the injury of Romo in 2015.

But Jason did just enough not to get fired this decade. He skated by without progressing at all. It's a real easy decision. Only 3 playoff appearances and never consecutive appearances. Wasted 12 and 13 win seasons with quick outs.
The saddest part it, Jerry is so football dumb, I really don't think he knows it.

Dre11

Reaction score
Man some of you guys are overly dramatic. Lol. You guys are going no-where. Even if Garrett stays. Lol.

exactly, which is why I laugh at all the whining. I'm with you , I'll be fine either way

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
I still believe we have the talent to win now. So with the new coach I will be expecting immediate results. Missing the playoffs again next year would be a huge disappointment

We do not. QB is a fail. O-line is injury ridden and will soon be over 30. Zeke is already showing signs of regression. Amari doesn’t seem to care anymore. Cobb may not return. Defense is a mess from safeties, DT’s, DE’s, LB’s, Corners, etc. We don’t draft well either. That’s not even counting what Jerry will do with the coaching situation, our schedule next year (49ers, Ravens, Hawks, Rams, Browns, and our rising division)? Eagles were injured ridden this year. With a good draft, they will be fine. NYG and Washington already making changes at coaching. They are rebuilding and trending up, while we’re trending down. We may be in 4th place in the NFCE next year. If we had any year to make it, it would’ve been this year. We missed our mark and now we are done for a while.... prepare yourself. We’re entering the first stages of a rebuild.

ghst187

Reaction score
Jerry KNOWS that 90 percent of the fans and the Dallas media wants Garrett gone. I THINK that Jerry ALSO BELIEVES that not retaining Garrett is the wrong thing to do. (His view not necessarily mine).

So do you let a guy walk knowing (in his mind) it’s the wrong play and placate the masses, or do you keep Garrett knowing that the fans are going to “nut out” and that the media is going to be on Garrett for the entire next year bashing the club at every turn?

I think Jerry sees this as a no win proposition.

What Jerry might do is “go rogue” and say hey, I think this is the wrong play, but I’m doing this solely for the media and the fans. Wouldn’t that be an interesting turn of events?

That way if Garrett succeeds somewhere else he can stick it to the Dallas media. Interesting. Very interesting.

jerry is between an idiot (himself) and the most obvious answer ever....

Jerry, is the sky blue?
A) I refuse to accept the obvious, scientifically proven answer we’ve known for thousands of years
B) i love lamp
C) heck yes it’s blue

Jerry’s having a tough time with this one....

what’s even crazier...is he can ditch a proven loser and go get almost anyone in the entire world.
It’s not like it’s Cleveland, where some winners wouldn’t even consider going and turn down an interview.
He can nearly pick any coach and probably land him.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys will not be true contenders until Jerry is under a rock in a hard place.

........ According to Jerry.

After all, they will only be real when the Cowboys have a real GM and Jerry says he wont step down.

........no other alternative.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
The fallout that would follow Jerry retaining Garrett as HC would be catastophic. The Metroplex would implode and the local media would drone on about it with every significant loss.

I wouldn't dismiss a FO job for Garrett with the Cowboys and my guess is Jerry is working on a solution to keep Garrett off the sidelines next near.

Whatever happens, there is a good chance we will be unhappy with the outcome.

Hadenough

Reaction score
If
Jerry KNOWS that 90 percent of the fans and the Dallas media wants Garrett gone. I THINK that Jerry ALSO BELIEVES that not retaining Garrett is the wrong thing to do. (His view not necessarily mine).

So do you let a guy walk knowing (in his mind) it’s the wrong play and placate the masses, or do you keep Garrett knowing that the fans are going to “nut out” and that the media is going to be on Garrett for the entire next year bashing the club at every turn?

What Jerry might do is “go rogue” and say hey, I think this is the wrong play, but I’m doing this solely for the media and the fans. Wouldn’t that be an interesting turn of events?

That way if Garrett succeeds somewhere else he can stick it to the Dallas media. Interesting. Very interesting.
If your doing something that your not sure if its right. Just look over your shoulder and pretend there are 1000 people watching you and ask yourself what would they say.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Man some of you guys are overly dramatic. Lol. You guys are going no-where. Even if Garrett stays. Lol.
In a sense your right! The decision to retain Garrett will cause enough hate that fans will turn on the team worse than ever. These boards will get ugly with so much hate and criticism every day. Much much worse than right now.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
"ALSO BELIEVES that not retaining Garrett is the wrong thing to do. (His view not necessarily mine)."
If true, that is mind boggling. I wonder in what crazy circumstances could Jerry justify the right thing to do is keep Garrett. It would almost have to be a world where taking home a championship takes a back seat to something like, how positive the players feel today.

cowboyed

Reaction score
He had the chance to extend Jason Garrett beyond this year previously but he used this year as a prove it season and Garrett came up with an 8-8 missing the playoffs. Regardless of any emotional feelings Jerry may have towards Jason, the bottom line the Dallas Cowboys are a business that is failing. Jerry has to realize that winning puts butts in the seats and Garrett had almost 10 seasons to accomplish winning....and failed repeatedly.
Time to end this charade and move on.

You are actually establishing that Jerry put Garrett on notice by not contract extending him this season and thereby intentionally setting up his removal as head coach if he felt short by not having the Cowboys go deep in the post season. Is Jerry fond of Garrett and has immense respect for him? Obviously. With subsequent meetings, either Jerry and Stephen are trying to keep him in another capacity with the team or they are dragging things out as the targeted head coach in waiting is a defensive or offensive coordinator on a playoff bound team. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if Jerry abdicated his figure head GM role and they plugged Garrett in there. Garrett is well organized, is professional and has an eye for talent. Immediately not firing Garrett could also be softening the process, a more gentle heave-ho.

Well it won't be too long before we know what's happening in Cowboys land.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Yep, because some fans won't do what it takes to force Jerry to change things.

They won't use the little bit of power they have to force the change, but will still complain about how things are being done. The way I see it, if you know what you have to do to influence the necessary changes and you still don't do it, then you don't have a right to complain. Complaining about the product and then still buying merchandise actually makes you part of the problem.

Reaction score
Good thought.......Jerry not retaining Garrett is basically him admitting his 9+ year experiment was a failure. The ole Cutting off the nose to spite the face conundrum that stubborn, bullheaded people often find themselves in.....

kskboys

Reaction score
"ALSO BELIEVES that not retaining Garrett is the wrong thing to do. (His view not necessarily mine)."
If true, that is mind boggling. I wonder in what crazy circumstances could Jerry justify the right thing to do is keep Garrett. It would almost have to be a world where taking home a championship takes a back seat to something like, how positive the players feel today.
Same one where DT's and S's are unimportant and it's all about CB's and WR's?

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score

When there doesn't seem to be a way around. There is always a way through.

My opinion: Let America's Team do it America's way:

Put it to a vote of 53 Cowboys players.

Simple and discreet cards to every player. To be seen by the front office.
Players fill these in easily: Do you want JG to be the coach next year. Check: Yes or No.

This is a win-win for everybody.

1. If the vote is a yes: Then it is on the players shoulders and everybody would play as a team. It would be on the shoulders of the entire team to answer to the fans.

2. If the vote is a no: Then it is the same as above.

It takes out emotional decisions. The players would want to prove themselves to be right by giving it everything they have, "game in and game out". It relieves the FO of having to answer to the fans and media, now or in the future. It could reward the entire front office for a great creative decision. Which, to my knowledge hasn't been done before in the NFL.

And, if it works well for the Cowboys and fans if the team wins: Then JJ and family are off the hook for any decisions and don't have to hear it from the fans or media anymore.

The players would most likely give it everything they have next season. The players would want to prove that their collective decision is the correct one by WINNING. With wins, the coach gets his accolades.

The fans could no longer bash JJ etc. But the fans would hold the team accountable. Fans do pay their paychecks after all.

And if the players don't succeed. It's on them. No finger-pointing.

Just my opinion in this situation. I say this because fans, media etc. MAY think they know it all. But they don't know what the jigsaw puzzle shows just by holding one piece of a 1000 piece puzzle. There may be factors that are unseen, unknown or never said.

As a saying goes: United we stand. Divided we fall.

We need ONE Cowboys team ... United.

There. Then everyone is happy.

Last edited:

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
When there doesn't seem to be a way around. There is always a way through.

My opinion: Let America's Team do it America's way:

Put it to a vote of 53 Cowboys players.

Simple and discreet cards to every player. To be seen by the front office.
Players fill these in easily: Do you want JG to be the coach next year. Check: Yes or No.

This is a win-win for everybody.

1. If the vote is a yes: Then it is on the players shoulders and everybody would play as a team. It would be on the shoulders of the entire team to answer to the fans.

2. If the vote is a no: Then it is the same as above.

It takes out emotional decisions. The players would want to prove themselves to be right by giving it everything they have, "game in and game out". It relieves the FO of having to answer to the fans and media, now or in the future. It could reward the entire front office for a great creative decision. Which, to my knowledge hasn't been done before in the NFL.

And, if it works well for the Cowboys and fans if the team wins: Then JJ and family are off the hook for any decisions and don't have to hear it from the fans or media anymore.

The players would most likely give it everything they have next season. The players would want to prove that their collective decision is the correct one by WINNING. With wins, the coach gets his accolades.

The fans could no longer bash JJ etc. But the fans would hold the team accountable. Fans do pay their paychecks after all.

And if the players don't succeed. It's on them. No finger-pointing.

Just my opinion in this situation. I say this because fans, media etc. MAY think they know it all. But they don't know what the jigsaw puzzle shows just by holding one piece of a 1000 piece puzzle. There may be factors that are unseen, unknown or never said.

As a saying goes: United we stand. Divided we fall.

We need ONE Cowboys team ... United.

There. Then everyone is happy.

Just one catch. Make sure the votes wouldn't be tampered.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score

"if Garrett succeeds somewhere else" ... :lmao2: