Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones have done their jobs

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I live about an hour and half from Buffalo and about three hours from Cleveland...

And I don't think, but know many fans have some kind of erroneous belief that winning a SB is easy. Ask folks from Buffalo or Cleveland how they would feel winning a SB 23 years ago and if they would treat that as some sort of big negative.

Hell I'd like Dallas to win a SB every year but the fact is it's far more difficult than many fans give credit for.
Only 1 in 32 teams win.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So, we're not at the draft yet, and let's have a look at what we've gotten done this off-season.

• Needed a FA Safety? Got George Iioka
  • Needed a DT? Got Hyder
  • Lost a slot receiver in Beasley? Got Cobb who can also be used on the outside
  • Need a TE? Persuade Witten to return
  • Need Lee to take a paycut? Done!
  • Need a DE to help with losing Gregory to suspension? Done! Get Quinn!
  • Trouble with DLaw's contract? Not to worry! Problem solved today!
And, again, this is all without the draft. This is what I've been asking for from the FO! This is more like it! Still would like a 1T DT and a full on safety in the draft. However, as far as I'm concerned, Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones have done their job. I think we're right now on the fringe on a Super Bowl contender roster. Now it's time for Jason Garrett to do his job. Coach them up, and let's get this assembled team to the Super Bowl. I've never seen us in the NFCC, but I think the time has now come for us to get number 6! For how this off-season has gone and how I think this season will go, as TO said, get your popcorn ready! Do your job, Garrett! Bring one back to Dallas!
next cut or redo Hurns and have a fantastic drafts..most of those were depth short term FA signings, the draft we need a em to come out of it..

visionary

Reaction score
So, we're not at the draft yet, and let's have a look at what we've gotten done this off-season.

• Needed a DT? Got Hyder
And, again, this is all without the draft. This is what I've been asking for from the FO! This is more like it! Still would like a 1T DT and a full on safety in the draft. However, as far as I'm concerned, Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones have done their job. I think we're right now on the fringe on a Super Bowl contender roster. Now it's time for Jason Garrett to do his job. Coach them up, and let's get this assembled team to the Super Bowl. I've never seen us in the NFCC, but I think the time has now come for us to get number 6! For how this off-season has gone and how I think this season will go, as TO said, get your popcorn ready! Do your job, Garrett! Bring one back to Dallas!

Not even close
The only starter is Quinn
We need a starter at 1T DT and FS and possibly TE because Witten is severely limited now
Without those we are DOA

DFWJC

Reaction score

• Needed a DT? Got Hyder
Solid offseason, imo.

Just follow it up with a good draft.

I don't know if it's true title contending talent or not, but I do think the roster has more overall talent than it has in 10+ years. That was true last year too.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

• Needed a DT? Got Hyder

I really don't understand the desire for a 1-tech because we've got Antwuan Woods for that one- to two-down role. What we need, despite signing Hyder, is a dominant 3-tech. Pressure up the middle against the run and pass disrupts offenses. We've got players who can do it inconsistently (Crawford, Collins) and an unknown in that regard in Hyder while we need a big dog there.

We also actually signed another 1-tech-type in Christian Covington, although he does have some pass-rush ability. Between Woods and Covington 1-tech is covered. I actually expect to see these two line up next to each other in situations where the offense is more likely to run than pass. Then, in passing situations (right now) for us to bring in some combination of Hyder, Crawford and Collins. But unless Hyder proves to be a real find ... none of those guys in the pass-rush situation scares you even close to like an Aaron Donald does.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Hyder is a DE
Covington is a 1Tech

All in all— some solid work was done. Quinn trade is an A+. Cobb is a savvy signing— B+. Covington and Hyder are nice depth B-.

Iloka is an average S... C-.

Witten and Lee moves are good for leadership and veteran depth.

Resigning Law is an A+.

Hyder is 6-2, 270-plus. He's thickly built and I have no doubt he's going to be an interior pass rusher.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I agree, and this roster should be able to take us to the Super Bowl if Garrett does his job.

I'm always cautious with expectations, keeping in mind worst-case scenarios.

With S George Iloka, it would be that he improves our run defense but hurts our pass defense.

With DE Robert Quinn, it would be that he's not an improvement over what we got from Gregory last year. (Maintaining the status quo isn't good enough.)

With DT Christian Covington, it's that he's a role player at best, only giving us what we got from players like Caraun Reid and Daniel Ross.

With DT/DE Kerry Hyder, it's that he's not able to get back to form after the major injury he had following his one great season.

With WR Randall Cobb, the same thing ... that his injury issues have made him much less of a player than he was.

With TE Jason Witten, it's that his decline is accelerated by his year off.

Now, I expect us to hedge our bets some in the draft at safety, DT and possibly tight end, but we're not drafting until 58, so there's less of a chance that we're going to hit on a big-time player with those picks. (And other teams that were already better than us have first-round picks to try to improve their teams even more.)

Again, though, this is the possible downside with these players. The reward if they all return to their best form, or even near it, is what the team is betting on, and I hope it's what we get.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
They extended our swing tackle and signed another long snapper and punter too...

We are rolling

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dallas has one need and its S. I dont think Iloka was brought in to be the answer i think he was brought in to be insurance if they struck out in the draft. Cutting him only costs 300k. I can see him being one of the first cuts if they get a S they want in the draft.

im not even going to read every post in this thread but im sure the norms who complain will be complaining in this thread about something, anything.

I agree that safety is a need, and I have confidence that safety will be addressed in the draft.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not signing Earl Thomas was stupid in my book, would have had a Superbowl defense right there

Besides Quinn they just signed a bunch of jags

Normally, I'd agree. However, Earl Thomas signed for a bit of a crazy amount of money, and the draft looks solid at safety. I'm confident we'll be drafting at least one safety, and I'm sure McClay is hard at work for some possible UDFAs too.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I really don't understand the desire for a 1-tech because we've got Antwuan Woods for that one- to two-down role. What we need, despite signing Hyder, is a dominant 3-tech. Pressure up the middle against the run and pass disrupts offenses. We've got players who can do it inconsistently (Crawford, Collins) and an unknown in that regard in Hyder while we need a big dog there.

We also actually signed another 1-tech-type in Christian Covington, although he does have some pass-rush ability. Between Woods and Covington 1-tech is covered. I actually expect to see these two line up next to each other in situations where the offense is more likely to run than pass. Then, in passing situations (right now) for us to bring in some combination of Hyder, Crawford and Collins. But unless Hyder proves to be a real find ... none of those guys in the pass-rush situation scares you even close to like an Aaron Donald does.

For me, it's because the draft is loaded at DT, and we do need that push up the middle. However, Woods did well last year.

Verdict

Reaction score
Well, this Fo has been making interesting and, dare I say, unusual moves for our normal off-season. Maybe we will get a 1T. Hope so anyway.

Well, that's what happens when you aren't cap strapped. But around 20 plus million per year comes off of the cap for the next four years after this year just dried up with Tank's new deal.. Money dries up fast.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well, that's what happens when you aren't cap strapped. But around 20 plus million per year comes off of the cap for the next four years after this year just dried up with Tank's new deal.. Money dries up fast.

Yes, it does. However, that was a necessary signing.