Jerry Jones: 'Boys will 'absolutely' make playoffs

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2416529 said:
Don't make me take another dollar from you ;)
You know, I forgot what we bet on.

I know 3 guys on here owe me a dollar for the bet about Felix and Barber both going over 1000 yards this year.

Mysterio

Benched
Reaction score
And what happens if we dont? Do I get my money back from going to the Commanders game?

zeromaster

Reaction score
It's the absolutely part that will get people's attention. Belief is entirely another matter...

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
From: Nick Eatman's article, via DallasCowboys.com (see the bold part)

But when asked if he sees his team making the playoffs, despite its current 5-4 record, Jones never hesitated with his answer.

"Yes, absolutely," Jones said. "That's not optimism, I just see that we were going to have to be a team that is playing well and won a lot of ballgames at the end of the year to be what we want to be anyway, and this is as good a time to start as next week. I certainly do feel we're going to be a team that plays well enough to be thinking about the playoffs."

As it stands, the Cowboys are on the outside looking in for the NFC playoff picture. But there are seven games to play and this team can certainly determine its fate between now and the end of the season.

But Jones said because of the unexpected losses earlier in the year, this team can't afford many more slipups, if any.

"Yeah because of the numbers," Jones said. "Teams like the Giants (8-1) are stacking them up, stacking the wins up. And some of the teams in other divisions are putting the wins up. We have had times when nine wins could get you in the playoffs. I don't know and shouldn't think that this will be the year to get that done. We need wins to make the numbers. We have some tough games ahead of us."

The AP didn't put the entire quote in their story. The AP took Jones' quote out of context and put the 'absolutely' part in the headline; furthermore, they put it in quotations. They are trying to make it seem like Jerry "guaranteed" the playoffs would be made by his team. NFL.com and ESPN jumped all over it and put it in their headlines. They have absolutely in quotes, so that tells you they are trying to get Jerry and make him look like he is giving some bulletin board material. What a surprise. They tried to make it seem like Jerry gave some big declaration. He didn't do that.

They conveniently left out the part where Jones says that it will not be easy. He acknowleges the tough games; therefore, he isn't taking anything for granted.

In the first part of the quote, Jones is simply stating confidence in his team and being optimistic, even though he denied it. This statement clears Jerry of what the headline tries to portray.

"I certainly do feel we're going to be a team that plays well enough to be thinking about the playoffs.

That is hardly a guarantee.

That report had an agenda.

Come on AP, we're not stupid.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Hostile;2416569 said:

I know 3 guys on here owe me a dollar for the bet about Felix and Barber both going over 1000 yards this year.

Let me refresh ya. Phillips won't win a playoff game as HC.:p:

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2416790 said:
Let me refresh ya. Phillips won't win a playoff game as HC.:p:

How about promoting JG right now and keeping Wade as our DC;)

MONT17

Reaction score
I think Jerry servin Roast Beef to the players will help them forget their record in December the last 3 or 4 seasons!

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
sandtrapp;2416854 said:
How about promoting JG right now and keeping Wade as our DC;)

With the mentality of this group Jesus himself wouldn't get them to the playoffs. Defense hasn't exactly been our strong point, wasn't that the plan under Mr fix it?

Adorable kid by the way Trapp.

stiletto

Reaction score
skeletor.jpg

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
What a dumb statement.

Go pick out leather for the chairs and leave the darn team alone.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
theebs;2416927 said:
What a dumb statement.

Go pick out leather for the chairs and leave the darn team alone.
What did he say that was so dumb?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
windward;2416944 said:
What did he say that was so dumb?
that's just it! why is he even talking? no other owner does this nonsense except Al Davis.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Rampage;2416947 said:
that's just it! why is he even talking? no other owner does this nonsense except Al Davis.
But was there anything "dumb" in his statement?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
windward;2416951 said:
But was there anything "dumb" in his statement?
no. but their's no reason for him to even be holding a pc to say this crap.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Hostile;2416569 said:

I dont hear a fat lady singing just yet. :laugh2:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
At least the man is being optimistic about things, kinda a "glass half full" view.

Even if we get to the playoffs, it will be as a Wildcard team and we will be playing on the road.

We cant even beat the freaking Rams on the road and we are going to win a road playoff game???

Sorry, but I just dont see it. We will either miss the playoffs or be one-and-done.