Jerry Jones comments on free Agency

jwitten82

Reaction score
Jerry turned fight promoter. Errol Spence baby!!! Haha Jerry was so happy, I know he got hella paid tonight.

Manny didn't want any part of fighting Spence, but Jerry was trying to make it happen.
Lol prime Pacman destroys spence

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
FS- EThomas 7m cap hit
RB- Tevin Coleman 3.6m cap hit
DT- Malik Jackson 2.8m cap hit

we couldn't afford these guys???

Sydla

Reaction score
Right. I understand fans wanting more, but let’s not act as if there aren’t valuable players we should want to keep.

This is kind of a strawman.

Most rational people would like most of our current good players to stay. But this idea that it’s either/or when it comes to FA is absurd.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is kind of a strawman.

Most rational people would like most of our current good players to stay. But this idea that it’s either/or when it comes to FA is absurd.
You’re right. My comment was really directed at the poster who portrayed the idea of signing our own guys as a negative because the team didn’t win all last year.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Only a fool pays Dak 28 million...if he is signed for that, nothing good will happen for years to come. Dak needs talent around him. He is no Romo who can magically make things happen...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Well, he's not entirely wrong. This team has gotten younger faster, & better thru the draft vs F.A. as of recent. :omg:

And it got toasted by team that used FA and trades to supplement its lineup and get to the Super Bowl.

Trying to win through draft only keeps you a step behind those who are willing to add some key pieces while also retaining their own core players.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
agree ..hard to listen to incoherent musings of an old sycophant like him whom is so out of touch. He can speak for 30 minutes and STILL we come away with nada. lol...thing is, he actually knows what he's doing when he does that and truly believes he is out smarting the fans and those in his sphere of trust. Its comical...yet tiresome.
Ya man,, Jerry knows exactly what he is doing, and anyone thinking its time Jerry is put out to the pasture just does not understand Jerry.
Jerry would school most in a poker game still at his age,, Jerry is not Al Davis...just yet.

kevm3

Reaction score
Only a fool pays Dak 28 million...if he is signed for that, nothing good will happen for years to come. Dak needs talent around him. He is no Romo who can magically make things happen...

What did Romo magically make happen? He hasn't been any further than Dak in the 2nd round of the playoffs and he's had plenty of talent around him, unless magically prime Dez, prime Witten, Terrell Owens, Demarco Murray, Martellus Bennett and others aren't talent.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
At one point this season, the Cowboys were looking at having a pretty bad record and giving a top 10 pick to the Raiders. They turned it around, won a few games, won a playoff game and then got their faces smashed in by the Rams.

This team doesn't have nearly as much talent as Jerry thinks it does. This is not like the early 90's Cowboys. That team was insanely stacked. Jerry thinking that he has repeated the past is leading him to make mistakes now.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/1992_roster.htm

Here were some of the guys that didn't start in 1992: Gogan, Woodson, Kevin Smith, Leon Lett, Jim Jeffcoat, Chad Hennings, Kelvin Martin, etc. Again . . . those guys were not starters. Jerry seems to be delusional and is going to pay his "core" players like they are title winners and then lock in mediocrity.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Jerry wants to win just enough to keep the money rolling in,he doesnt care about playoffs or championships anymore.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Well, he's not entirely wrong. This team has gotten younger faster, & better thru the draft vs F.A. as of recent. :omg:
That is true, we have a good team.
But I think fans are waiting for them too get better, they talked about improving the team blah blah! Signing your own players is awesome but you don't get better.

Noclaf

Reaction score
When he first got here he ended up trading for Charles Haley and eventually adding Deion.

So no Jerry, let’s not act like this is the same thing you did in the early 90s. You built through the draft and then added some key players from outside the organization that helped put you over the top.

Anyone who believes this fool is a fool.
At one point this season, the Cowboys were looking at having a pretty bad record and giving a top 10 pick to the Raiders. They turned it around, won a few games, won a playoff game and then got their faces smashed in by the Rams.

This team doesn't have nearly as much talent as Jerry thinks it does. This is not like the early 90's Cowboys. That team was insanely stacked. Jerry thinking that he has repeated the past is leading him to make mistakes now.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/1992_roster.htm

Here were some of the guys that didn't start in 1992: Gogan, Woodson, Kevin Smith, Leon Lett, Jim Jeffcoat, Chad Hennings, Kelvin Martin, etc. Again . . . those guys were not starters. Jerry seems to be delusional and is going to pay his "core" players like they are title winners and then lock in mediocrity.
Amen!!!

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well, he is right as far as having some great you players that we would prefer other teams not take from us, but instead that we sign ourselves.
Maybe we want more still, but that part is 100% truth

They tried to sign Watkins last offseason but didn't get it done.

Cooper is better, imo,
but would you rather have Watkins and our 1st rounder this year or just Cooper?

But KC did overpay for Watkins. Did we really want to give him more than 18/year and 30 mil guaranteed?

kskboys

Reaction score
Jerry's real comments:

"ah...er...eeee...Johnny Walker...hiddles.....makulagospit.....strippers.....strippers.....socks.....jocks......wide receivers and tight ends....need more cornerbacks....higggggggg.....biggggglles....ma...erahheeeeeee.........................."

DFWJC

Reaction score
FS- EThomas 7m cap hit
RB- Tevin Coleman 3.6m cap hit
DT- Malik Jackson 2.8m cap hit

we couldn't afford these guys???
If we're looking at this year only, those cap hits aren't bad at all.
I think when we have all the massive new contracts next year, and these three contrscts above explode, you could have some issue.

ET's cap hit is 38 million over the next three years before there's an out. Cut it anyway you want....it will hit the cap
Is he worth that? Maybe. Guess we'll see.

Coleman wants to start, so I don't even look at him.

Not really sure why we didn't try for Jackson. Same applies to him though...10 mil/year with 17 mil guaranteed. It eventually hits the cap

I'm with you; I like all three of those guys. But that cap hit overall would be much larger overall.
And they all have big injury risks

Mr_437

Reaction score
He’s too small and old. Spence is great but needs to fight The best in his weight division. Mikey and Pac-Man are too small for Spence.
Right. The guys in his division won't fight him, that's why everyone respects Mikey for taking the fight.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If we're looking at this year only, those cap hits aren't bad at all.
I think when we have all the massive new contracts next year, and these three contrscts above explode, you could have some issue.

ET's cap hit is 38 million over the next three years before there's an out. Cut it anyway you want....it will hit the cap
Is he worth that? Maybe. Guess we'll see.

Coleman wants to start, so I don't even look at him.

Not really sure why we didn't try for Jackson. Same applies to him though...10 mil/year with 17 mil guaranteed. It eventually hits the cap

I'm with you; I like all three of those guys. But that cap hit overall would be much larger overall.
And they all have big injury risks

You are proving my point I think
You can't worry about next year's cap hits and at the same time say these cap hits are low because they are Year One

Then Year One cap hits for Dak, BJones and ACooper will be really low too

By Year 3 Witten, SLee, TCrawford and AHurns will be gone.... there is always room

and TColeman joined a team-SF with 3 starting RBs.... he is not going to start there
EThomas is no bigger injury risk than anyone else