Jerry Jones Glad He’ll Have Chance To Benefit From Garrett’s Growth As Head Coach

waving monkey

Reaction score
IRVING, Texas -- Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones has staunchly declined to discuss contract negotiations with any of his employees – players and coaches – during this playoff run.
Approached about the subject on ESPN’s NFL Insiders, however, Jones offered a small amount of insight about the future of his head coach, Jason Garrett.

“I’ve got tremendous confidence in Jason Garrett’s growth and how he has evolved as head coach,” Jones told ESPN. “I felt when the time is right – I didn’t think it was right to start the season – and so I felt when the time is right, we’ll sit down and extend his contract.”

As he said, Jones famously opted not to renew Garrett’s contract before the start of the 2014 season, after multiple seasons of speculation that Garrett might be fired after .500 finishes. Upon being appointed head coach midway through the 2010 season, the longtime offensive coordinator posted 8-8 records for three years before exploding to a 12-4 mark and a division title this past year.

“I’m glad we’re having, not only for us but for our fans, the year that we’re having. Because we’ve paid a price, and you always do, for a coach that’s learning,” Jones said.

link/http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...ve-chance-benefit-garrett’s-growth-head-coach

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
IRVING, Texas -- Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones has staunchly declined to discuss contract negotiations with any of his employees – players and coaches – during this playoff run.
Approached about the subject on ESPN’s NFL Insiders, however, Jones offered a small amount of insight about the future of his head coach, Jason Garrett.

“I’ve got tremendous confidence in Jason Garrett’s growth and how he has evolved as head coach,” Jones told ESPN. “I felt when the time is right – I didn’t think it was right to start the season – and so I felt when the time is right, we’ll sit down and extend his contract.”

As he said, Jones famously opted not to renew Garrett’s contract before the start of the 2014 season, after multiple seasons of speculation that Garrett might be fired after .500 finishes. Upon being appointed head coach midway through the 2010 season, the longtime offensive coordinator posted 8-8 records for three years before exploding to a 12-4 mark and a division title this past year.

“I’m glad we’re having, not only for us but for our fans, the year that we’re having. Because we’ve paid a price, and you always do, for a coach that’s learning,” Jones said.

link/http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2015/01/07/jerry-jones-glad-he’ll-have-chance-benefit-garrett’s-growth-head-coach

This just drives me crazy, I am glad Garrett worked out, but we should not have had to endure a HC that took 3.5 years to "learn" on the job.
The Cowboys and their fans deserved better.
Was there not a HC 3.5 years ago that could have come in already seasoned ?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
This just drives me crazy, I am glad Garrett worked out, but we should not have had to endure a HC that took 3.5 years to "learn" on the job.

Lots of seasoned coaches around the league didn't do jack ******* **** with all their seasonings.

Media types creaming their pants over guys like Bill O'Brien.

Reaction score

Belichek was a failure in Cleveland. Do you think the Browns wished they gave him more of a chance? Sometimes it just takes time.

I wanted Garrett fired last year. But now that things have fallen into place, I appreciate the fact that he's a better coach now than even last year.

Whats happened in the last three and a half years is history. What matters is whats happening now and whats going to happen in the future. And I'm gladd Garrett will be there leading the way.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Is Jerry trying to say we paid a price to cover up his sloppy GM work? I didn't realize turning 4-12 level, injury-plagued talent into 8-8 was paying a price. He must think it's good having players like Webb, Popinga and Peprah playing in Week 17 with the season on the line. :rolleyes:

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score

2011,2012 and 2013 are in the past. Nor is it a guarantee that a more experienced coach would have done any better.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Well the thing is....

While he has bee on..... "on the job" training
Ultimately the players didn't perform and win the "win and you're in" games.

Some his fault, some the players.

While coaches are responsible for their players and having them prepared and ready. It's true.
Coaches coach. Players play.

It goes back to the coach!

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
At this point it is what it is. Keeping the team on top should be where we focus from here on out.
Can't change the past. What Jerry rarely mentions is his 20 years of on the job training which is still
ongoing. That hasn't made it easy for any coach.

Gridiron Man

"I AM GRIDIRON MAN"
Reaction score
Parcells for one would have gotten us closer. Won a few win and you're in games.

No doubt Parcells was a great coach, but he adopted a philosophy of buy low sell high when he left the Giants. It's as if he were playing teams like the stock market. #FinishTheFight

He brought the Pats to the SB, but lost, and ditched the Pats
Then he brought the Jets to the AFCC, but lost
Then he brought the Cowboys to the playoffs, lost in the first round

#FinishTheFight

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jones should just shut his mouth on this topic. He undermines Jason every time he brings it up. It's idiotic.

That said, Jason did a great job with this team from the moment he took over, overall. He's had some obvious shortcomings along the way, but the focus and process (yes, process) and attention to detail have been obvious all along. It's taken time to replace missing talent, but he's done a good job of keeping us competitive during that time. It's a fairly short list of coaches who might have done better in the interim, and there's maybe nobody who'd have done better in the short term and still positioned us to be successful under Jerry down the road. Just my opinion.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
No doubt Parcells was a great coach, but he adopted a philosophy of buy low sell high when he left the Giants. It's as if he were playing teams like the stock market. #FinishTheFight

He brought the Pats to the SB, but lost, and ditched the Pats
Then he brought the Jets to the AFCC, but lost
Then he brought the Cowboys to the playoffs, lost in the first round

#FinishTheFight

All good points.

But my point is different.

He would have better decisions than Garrett.

Ball control and running game instead of slinging it.
A serviceable defense at worst, we had the worst. Period. Lol

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Belichek was a failure in Cleveland. Do you think the Browns wished they gave him more of a chance? Sometimes it just takes time.

I wanted Garrett fired last year. But now that things have fallen into place, I appreciate the fact that he's a better coach now than even last year.

Whats happened in the last three and a half years is history. What matters is whats happening now and whats going to happen in the future. And I'm gladd Garrett will be there leading the way.

I watched Jason grow up and thrive this year as a walk around head coach. That was all I wanted to see if he could grow without all of the other duties as oc/hc being combined. Never wanted him gone for a minute.

Wolfpack

Reaction score

Not that could allow Jerry to be comfortable. Red has studied his Nick Saban & Jimmy Johnson notebooks and grown into a real coach while letting Jerry be Jerry.

Its all good.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Even if Garrett hadn't been learning on the job and we had someone with experience these past few years, I'm not sure we would have had the talent to do much of anything until right now regardless.

waving monkey

Reaction score

compare that to the entire tenure of all the dud coaches after JJohnson.
Compare that 3.5 to the previous sixteen/seveeteen years? And some
can't get past the grudge to enjoy this year and coming years! Jerry owns
your mind and is living there rent free. I hope its worth it.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score

We've been Rebuilding since Garrett took over and at 13-4 we're not done yet.. Smh

Seasoned coach, pfft

How many teams still went 8-8 while rebuilding?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After winning last Sunday I was afraid Jerry would open his mouth this week.

I wonder what new revelation will come out next week after we beat the Packers?

Reaction score
As previously stated, the OJT of Garrett coincided with rebuilding of the team and coaches. The fact that his three year plan has us here suggests the man knew WTH he was doing from the git go.