News: Jerry Jones intrigued by Lincoln Riley?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. The league is driven by offense. Maybe less so than a year ago (do to all the offensive pass interference calls), but it's still an offensive league. Throw out Brady and the Pats, and every year you can bank on 1-2 of the top offenses making it to the Superbowl.

This is a copycat league. That's why I say, young offensive coaches have so much success. It might be short lived, but they often come out of the gate and the league has to play catch up. That's why I would go after someone like Lincoln and pair him with a Greg Williams-like coach on defense. Experience on defense is needed because you have to react to the other teams offense. But I believe Lincoln could take the league by storm in his first year or 2. The Rams are suffering right now from the Gurley deal, injuries, and some of the trades they made. Look, they took a chance and went all in...made it to the Superbowl. I would take that any day of the week.
What was that last SB if not a D game? Both of those teams got there with their D's.

Paring Riley with a Greg Williams-like coach is easier said than done. Who was Garrett paired with, Linehan paired with and Moore paired with. Do you think that the Joneses are going to wise up about the importance of coaching just because they hire Riley?

And I will argue all day and into the night that offense is the engine that drives it.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Does Riley pick his own staff or do the Jonses tell him who he can hire? How much say would he get in regards to personnel?
Garrett hired this correct staff. Richard and Rod are Garrett. So was Linnehan

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
exactly...and parcells was money driven. at the time he was going through divorce or something and had financial issues. plus as usual ego. could he do it? he made a lot of difference, but quit at the end.

At first I had hope with the Parcells hiring that Jones had finally figured out what is obvious to the rest of us. An elite coach will not want to coach here if he's not given the autonomy that he needs to run things the way he sees fit. If we don't replace Garrett with a quality HC who gets to do things his way, we might as well just keep Garrett.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
exactly...and parcells was money driven. at the time he was going through divorce or something and had financial issues. plus as usual ego. could he do it? he made a lot of difference, but quit at the end.
I don't think Parcells quit. I think he felt he had done all he could to keep Booger form himself and he realized that the new NFL, the Players NFL was no longer a place where he could coach. The repetitive OL penalties drove him crazy and he couldn't do anything about it.

One thing you used to see was when a player got a penalty, he came out of the game as punishment. His number was called by the ref and he had to go to the sideline with the camera on him. That's gone now because there's no depth and Parcells was an old schooler like Landry, Grant and Lombardi, all were dependent on a certain amount of intimidation. Think they'd make it in a league with a bunch of whiners tweeting their hurt feelings and being forced to play them. How do you think any one of those coaches would have reacted to Antonio Brown videoing the locker room HC address after a game and sending that out?

Parcells didn't quit on the Cowboys or the NFL, it quit on him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At first I had hope with the Parcells hiring that Jones had finally figured out what is obvious to the rest of us. An elite coach will not want to coach here if he's not given the autonomy that he needs to run things the way he sees fit. If we don't replace Garrett with a quality HC who gets to do things his way, we might as well just keep Garrett.
Couldn't agree more, can't change the coach without changing the culture, the real problem.

BigD_95

Reaction score

Big_D

Reaction score
"Of course, none of this will matter if the Cowboys get back on track and start rattling off wins. If not, then we’ll see what Jones does."

This is the hard part as a fan. I want Dallas to win but at the same time that just means Garrett stays longer. Almost wonder if its best to lose and finally get rid of Garret.

Even a couple wins means nothing. There's no hope at all with Garrett here. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. Just like the owner!!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't think Parcells quit. I think he felt he had done all he could to keep Booger form himself and he realized that the new NFL, the Players NFL was no longer a place where he could coach. The repetitive OL penalties drove him crazy and he couldn't do anything about it.

One thing you used to see was when a player got a penalty, he came out of the game as punishment. His number was called by the ref and he had to go to the sideline with the camera on him. That's gone now because there's no depth and Parcells was an old schooler like Landry, Grant and Lombardi, all were dependent on a certain amount of intimidation. Think they'd make it in a league with a bunch of whiners tweeting their hurt feelings and being forced to play them. How do you think any one of those coaches would have reacted to Antonio Brown videoing the locker room HC address after a game and sending that out?

Parcells didn't quit on the Cowboys or the NFL, it quit on him.
I don't disagree that parcells was an old schooler. he relied on execution and players and he would practice every situation to get/have the team ready. he also adjusted to the times. he was a great motivator and game day manager. he went from old school, smash mouth football to hiring Payton and let him run the offense and be innovative. I think at first he ran everything, showed Jerry how to organize and run a football operations...but Jerry got cocky...and went out and got TO. Parcells didn't want any part of that. to your point, he didn't want pre-Madonna's on the team, he wanted lunch pale guys....TO was disruptive to his team and the culture he was trying to build.

getting TO was such a Jerry move...he has done it four time...once with Galloway....then with TO, then with Roy Williams....then he went out and got cooper. seemingly this last one working out the best.

Cydios

Reaction score
It's truly not a question on whether he's good or not, it's whether Jerry will give him enough power to let him do his job.

Syron

Reaction score
What was that last SB if not a D game? Both of those teams got there with their D's.

Paring Riley with a Greg Williams-like coach is easier said than done. Who was Garrett paired with, Linehan paired with and Moore paired with. Do you think that the Joneses are going to wise up about the importance of coaching just because they hire Riley?

And I will argue all day and into the night that offense is the engine that drives it.

Top 4 scoring teams last year: KC, Saints, Rams, Pats. All four played in the Conference Championship. Top 4 defenses: Bears, Ravens, Titans, Jags. Rams and Pats had good defenses, but their offenses drove them to the Superbowl.

I don't disagree that its hard to find a Williams-like coach. But we had one here, so I won't say they can't do it again. I believe JJ thought JG was that young league changing coach. Pairing him with Wade was his probably his version of the Rams. Didn't work out for us though in the post season, but we had some great years. I often wonder what would have happened if Wade had been DC from the go and not head coach.

Syron

Reaction score
driven by offense, but win championships by defense. if its a copy cat league, see New England this year. see superbowl score last year. see Denver win it with half armed Manning..... if Riley comes and lets say he is able to get his gimmikie offense working in the NFL. without a defense, we will be 8-8 team losing shoot outs....like Detroit used to do
I think talent, match ups and coaching win championships. KC was a few plays away with their horrible defense. Rams were bottom third of the league in defense, but they had a lot of talent...and the refs.

I am not saying we shouldn't invest in the defense...in fact I would push hard to acquire more talent via trades or the draft. Our line needs a lot of work, but we need someone in with an aggressive scheme...not more bend not break mentality.

Riley has the tools in place right now on offense for this to be explosive. We have already seen that. That's why I think we take advantage of this fact while they are still young.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:lmao:
3dmnnm.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I don't know a whole lot about Riley but I will tell you If hes anything like what I've read/heard? I would be happy to have him.

Does anyone know who hes worked with as far as defensive coaches? I would be interested to know who he would have run the defense and what their system would consist of.

I know almost nothing about him, but I would take him in a heartbeat over Clappy:yourock::yourock::yourock::yourock:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The last thing the Cowboys need is an O coach feeding the follow the ball mind of the owner.

NO...………….the last thing the Cowboys need is another season of Garrett on the sidelines...……….I will take anybody else at this point

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think talent, match ups and coaching win championships. KC was a few plays away with their horrible defense. Rams were bottom third of the league in defense, but they had a lot of talent...and the refs.

I am not saying we shouldn't invest in the defense...in fact I would push hard to acquire more talent via trades or the draft. Our line needs a lot of work, but we need someone in with an aggressive scheme...not more bend not break mentality.

Riley has the tools in place right now on offense for this to be explosive. We have already seen that. That's why I think we take advantage of this fact while they are still young.
I question Riley's ability and scheme working in the NFL. I also question his ability to be a HC at the NFL level. he has a learning curve of at least 2 years. if we were rebuilding, I would say, take a shot, if it doesn't work, then you are reloading for the next coach. but we are as you said, have talent and need a proven NFL coach....not a college, will it work out or not coach.

jhj7098

Reaction score
He just got extended for 6M per and OU will go higher. UT was chasing Saban with a Gruden offer 10M x 10 years. Saban makes Belichick money already.
You don't think the Cowboys could match or exceed that? They could pay double what Saban or even Belichick makes if they wanted.

CoachD

Reaction score
Prediction Time:

Ok wow this one is a tough call because both teams suck so predicting a winner won't be easy and I'll still not sure who I like as of right now. The Cowboys are really banged up and even if Smith and Collins play it still doesn't guarantee anything plus Cooper looks to be out (huge loss). Now as far as the Cowboys defense goes, um what defense? The Jets who were last in every possible offensive category torched the Cowboy's defense last week which was extremely embarrassing. As far as the Eagles go they're not much better. Their defense is just as pathetic as the Cowboys and Kurt Cousin ripped them apart last week. So with that being said what gives? If the Cowboys lose Garrett is done (should have been fired at halftime against the Jets) if they win they're still in first place in an awful division. Now there is one thing that the Cowboys have going for them Dak Prescott dominates the NFC East and the Eagles but in the end I think it will come down to a Brett Maher chip shot field goal attempt. Sorry folks wide right.

Eagles 24
Cowboys 23