Jerry Jones on the Rich Eisen Show: "We're Sold On Dak"

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It's sad to think that me slumping in my Lazy-Boy, drinking beer, eating Cheetos and watching re-runs of Andy Griffith qualifies as energy.
Mmm... I miss Cheeto's!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'm not saying he'll get the same kind of deal as Wilson, only that it establishes a target. Dak's people will argue that he's younger than Wilson and still on the rise and therefore should be paid at least what Wilson got. Dallas will argue that he hasn't accomplished as much as Wilson has and therefore should not be paid as much as Wilson. The Cowboys will start on the low end and Prescott's team on the high end to settle somewhere a little under Wilson's numbers.

The one thing no one should count on is Prescott's contract being way less than Wilson's. That just not going to happen, just like Lawrence's contract ($21 million yearly average_ wasn't way less than Khalil Mack's ($23.5 million yearly average). Mack got more guaranteed and signing bonus, but he also signed for six years instead of five.

Your argument that Prescott is younger and on the rise and should get what Wilson got isn't even a reasonable argument at any level. It still boils down to what he's done not what they hope he does. Wilson got what he did because he did go to 2 super bowls and the Sea Hawks believe he can do it again - Prescott hasn't and won't get the big boost of having done it. There is no way the Cowboys are going to pay Prescott anywhere close to Wilson who now is the highest paid player in the NFL. Only wannabe GM's think that. Also Lawrence's and Mack's production has been similar and that is why their contracts are closer than what Wilson's and what Prescott's ends up being.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
that should give you some trust listening to Jerry. Lol has he ever been right?

Hadenough

Reaction score
Aikman obviously needed a talented supporting cast. It’s what he did with it on the bigger stages that often defines a career.
Thats a very good way of putting it!
Aikman had a unique talent that a guy like Marino and many other QBs don't have. He could hand the ball off 10 times in a row and still throw a strike on the next play. Very accurate without having to be in a rhythm.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Prescott wouldn't be Brady even if he was with Bellichick. Same as none of the QBs with the Browns became that in the 3 years Bill was with them.

Brady has been helped by coaching, but you don't go from middling to GOAT just by coaching alone. Simple fact is, the moment Brady got the start in the NFL, he was getting it done.
You see, you say that, but I counter with "It gives me energy!".
So... I have to waste it!
Damn baked beans bro

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thats a very good way of putting it!
Aikman had a unique talent that a guy like Marino and many other QBs don't have. He could hand the ball off 10 times in a row and still throw a strike on the next play. Very accurate without having to be in a rhythm.
The bottom line is once these Rookie contracts are done then Dak will not have the level of supporting cast. We’ll have to pick and choose.

Like who do we think is more valuable to Daks success ; Elliott or Cooper? And who on the OL do you let go ? And there will be issues on defense as well.

It’s why the teams with the more Elite QB’s are able to sustain a more consistent competitive product once they pay them because they don’t need as much supporting cast.

GMO415

Reaction score
They are discussing paying him $30 mill a year.....no duh they're sold.

erod

Reaction score
LOLLLL so Zeke’s statistical accomplishments count, but Dak’s don’t?

83 TD vs 27 INT with a 96 career passer rating... doesn’t count for squat. Got it!

Dak threatens defenses with his legs and is 32-16 as a starter with a middling supporting cast. Tell us more about how wins don’t matter, or something. He’s also one of the most reliably clutch players in all of football, but who cares about that right!?!?

LOL didn’t Drew Brees go 7-9 for 3 straight seasons recently? Dak’s completely unaware of what a losing season feels like.

Zeke and the offensive line don't benefit from Dak.

All of Dak's successes are entirely the result of Zeke and the offensive line.

You just have to understand what you're watching.

erod

Reaction score
"Well, they believed in Dak well enough to promote him to Romo's backup during training camp 2016. Moved Dak ahead of the career long proven backup, Kellen Moore, who is now our O-Coordinator."

Understand English?
No, they didn't.

Kellen Moore broke his leg right when camp started. Dak was second string by default almost immediately.

Now, is he better than Moore? Yes. But he wasn't promoted. Moore just got hurt.

I'm still laughing at this "proven backup" comment of yours. Moore played five whole seasons, and most of that was on the inactive list or on the practice squad.

He played 3 games total. How is that a "proven backup"?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Zeke and the offensive line don't benefit from Dak.

All of Dak's successes are entirely the result of Zeke and the offensive line.

You just have to understand what you're watching.
I’m not sure if fans watch all of the games?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Your argument that Prescott is younger and on the rise and should get what Wilson got isn't even a reasonable argument at any level. It still boils down to what he's done not what they hope he does. Wilson got what he did because he did go to 2 super bowls and the Sea Hawks believe he can do it again - Prescott hasn't and won't get the big boost of having done it. There is no way the Cowboys are going to pay Prescott anywhere close to Wilson who now is the highest paid player in the NFL. Only wannabe GM's think that. Also Lawrence's and Mack's production has been similar and that is why their contracts are closer than what Wilson's and what Prescott's ends up being.

I'm not arguing that Prescott should get what Wilson got. I do think, though, that his agents will try to use the fact that he's just going into his fourth year as a negotiating tool to try to make the argument that he deserves similar money.

I think I've made it clear that I do not believe that he does. But I do think his cost is going to settle in somewhere between what Russell got and what players like Matthew Stafford and Kirk Cousins are making. I think Prescott's side will be pushing for $32-$33 million while Dallas wants to keep him at $30 million or less.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No, they didn't.

Kellen Moore broke his leg right when camp started. Dak was second string by default almost immediately.

Now, is he better than Moore? Yes. But he wasn't promoted. Moore just got hurt.

I'm still laughing at this "proven backup" comment of yours. Moore played five whole seasons, and most of that was on the inactive list or on the practice squad.

He played 3 games total. How is that a "proven backup"?
Reports during camp was Dak was looking better than Kellen Moore. Dak even performed better in preseason before Moore got injured, so Dak was going to win the backup position regardless.

As for Moore being a career backup, well, wasn't he Romo's backup when he got here?

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Dak still can't throw.

Just saying.
Tell that to Amari who had his best year in Dallas compared to his last two in Oakland with Carr. And go ahead with injuries to Carr, yada yada as why! Dak doesn’t get injured.

Go ahead and spin it to favor your agenda. All good!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Tell that to Amari who had his best year in Dallas compared to his last two in Oakland with Carr. And go ahead with injuries to Carr, yada yada as why! Dak doesn’t get injured.

Go ahead and spin it to favor your agenda. All good!

Cooper had a 180 and 200 yard game and was pretty much a no show in the rest of the games.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Cooper had a 180 and 200 yard game and was pretty much a no show in the rest of the games.
So let’s relegate Amari to his two biggest games? Then pick apart the rest as if he’s a bust. Lol

Do you realize teams game plan to stop that ****? Or are you spouting an agenda because you never wanted him? Didn’t work out too well bro.

Amari is a bad *** WR, and you’re late to the party! FO did the team and fans right by picking him up.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So let’s relegate Amari to his two biggest games? Then pick apart the rest as if he’s a bust. Lol

Do you realize teams game plan to stop that ****? Or are you spouting an agenda because you never wanted him? Didn’t work out too well bro.

Amari is a bad *** WR, and you’re late to the party! FO did the team and fans right by picking him up.

When you go from having a 200 yard game to then averaging 1-2 catches a game for an average of 9 yards...that's a problem.

Oh, and by the way, he did this in Oakland as well. This wasn't unique to Dallas. When 5 of your TDs and most of your yards come in two games, that shows inconsistency.....which got him traded from the Raiders.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
When you go from having a 200 yard game to then averaging 1-2 catches a game for an average of 9 yards...that's a problem.

Oh, and by the way, he did this in Oakland as well. This wasn't unique to Dallas. When 5 of your TDs and most of your yards come in two games, that shows inconsistency.....which got him traded from the Raiders.
Chalk it up to a bad *** that the other team game planned for because Linehan was a loser. Even Amari himself acknowledged that. I like a lot of your posts, mattj, just can’t agree to this one.