Twitter: Jerry Jones says Cowboys could seek safety help before NFL trade deadline expires

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Ya'll are thinking the wrong direction.

i think it's the backup situation they want to address. Not the starters. Heath or Woods gets hurt, and they're screwed. They like both Heath and Woods though.
They can address it by making Heath a backup.

Verdict

Reaction score
Im not sure why Heath catches all the flack he gets here. Quite honestly while he could be upgraded he is a solid player, reasonably priced and brings the wood with him when he hits someone. He’s better than some of the other safeties in the league and he has range.

He’s probably a better safety than X. Woods. I really don’t get all the hate he gets here.

We really could use an upgrade at backup 1 Tech or better yet a stud 1 Tech with A. Woods being the backup. That would improve the defense more than anything personnel wise.

We could use a coaching upgrade on defense but that’s a whole different can of worms.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I like how the whole football world knows that Jeff Heath is a problem but there are several here who worship him.

No one worships him. Do you live on hyperbole and overreaction? Just because some fans see some value in him and disagree with the vitriol spewed at him, doesn't mean they worship him and/or wouldn't welcome an upgrade.

jjktkk

Reaction score
I think he means the team might trade for a jag since the position hasn't been a priority for the last two decades.
Why stop with just two decades? If you're going to overexaggerate why not go with three decades, hell try four decades and see if that works.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I've seen it. Jerry likes to throw a bone out there now and then as "feel good fodder." Talking is cheap. We'll see. ;)

Turkish-Cowboy

Reaction score
Why stop with just two decades? If you're going to overexaggerate why not go with three decades, hell try four decades and see if that works.
Whether it works or not, so what? Would that change their thinking about the safety position? Name the last not great but good safety this team had... unless you are a Heath fan, of course.

EJK24

Reaction score
It would be nice to see an upgrade at the position. We haven't invested a high draft pick or money in free agency to get a proven starter, in way too long.

jjktkk

Reaction score
Whether it works or not, so what? Would that change their thinking about the safety position? Name the last not great but good safety this team had... unless you are a Heath fan, of course.
I am a Heath fan, but he can definitely be upgraded. I don't think you're going to find a better safety offf the streets that's better than Heath Unless Jerry pulls off a SHOCKER of a trade, you won't see the Cowboys upgrading the position until the offseason. Jerry screwed up this past offseason with not drafting one of the talented safeties in the stacked safety draft this past spring.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Jerry should've said. 'We WILL be looking for safety help, cornerback, defensive tackle help. Any position we can get some talent that helps us? We will be looking. "

Turkish-Cowboy

Reaction score
I am a Heath fan, but he can definitely be upgraded. I don't think you're going to find a better safety offf the streets that's better than Heath Unless Jerry pulls off a SHOCKER of a trade, you won't see the Cowboys upgrading the position until the offseason. Jerry screwed up this past offseason with not drafting one of the talented safeties in the stacked safety draft this past spring.

I totally agree with you on that.

All I was pointing was that Jerry and co ignored the position both in the offseasons and the drafts for years.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It wouldn’t surprise me if the Cowboys swung for the fences to try and grab a starting caliber safety.

Listening to Tom Ciskowski (sp?) on the podcast the other day he was alluding to the fact that during the lead up to our 2nd round pick this year, there were a number of safeties on the board they had graded high and it was for that reason they went for the need at another position (DT) with the idea they’d likely be able to grab a quality safety later.

The takeaway is the team was considering taking a safety high with our 2nd round pick, so it’s not far-fetched they say “let’s address the need now” since they couldn’t during the draft.

cristglo

Reaction score
I dont know if I would want to trade for Adams unless it was just for a 1st. That would be to sweet to pass up IMO. I would consider a 5th for Geno Atkins to maybe a 4th depending on how he played. I wouldnt trade for Patrick Peterson because I think Lewis should be starting at the slot instead of Brown.
Dont want OJ Howard because he stays hurt and he is about as bad as Lee.
I believe Bennett can help us but what will his attitude be like?