Video: Jerry Jones will fire Dak Prescott if he has to pay Mahomes money

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Nor is it won by the team with the most expensive QB like Dak wants to be.

And Mahomes became expensive only in 2 years once his rookie deal is over.

So what is the point? Just trying to understand.
so I guess you either win with your QB in his rookie deal or if he turns out good you are done.....so after next year, Mahomes probably won't win another championship..

is that the logic?

Eli's contract was considered large when he signed, as salary cap went up, that average of salary cap was lower. similar to Ryan when he went to superbowl, at the time his contract was rather large, top 2 I believe. but now its not even in the top 10.

so what's your point?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak would never sign a 10 year deal.

Nor would we wish to do that.

He is already going into his 5th yr. now.

15 years of Dak?

Why would we do that?
hence, the price tag and averages are different. that's the point. my question was if Mahomes was handed a 4 year contract. what would it look like? then after that 4 years, perhaps another 4 year contract....what would that look like? and then a 2-3 year contract. what would that look like....KC signed him to a 10 year contract, risky, but mahomes got a 10 year gauarantee…..he left money on the table, but who knows what would have happened to him 4 years from now.

and Dak is a top 10 QB. whether you admit it or not. the NFL executives and scouts and experts agree. me and you on this board do not matter. your opinion does not matter. my opinion does not matter. the owners, agents, executives, front offices, etc. matter and what they decide and do. and right now he is worth a 31M contract. and next year he is 37, if dallas decides to go another direction, some one will pay him. that's the NFL QB market.

and what will you say if Dak wins a superbowl. wait I know. it was the WR (some of whom we didn't want to resign or wanted to trade). it was the OL, it was Zeke (which we think is over rated, slowing down and over paid), its the defense (but most of them suck), its the coach, its everyone but Dak…. right?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Well the Cooper article says he is coming off a disappointing
hence, the price tag and averages are different. that's the point. my question was if Mahomes was handed a 4 year contract. what would it look like? then after that 4 years, perhaps another 4 year contract....what would that look like? and then a 2-3 year contract. what would that look like....KC signed him to a 10 year contract, risky, but mahomes got a 10 year gauarantee…..he left money on the table, but who knows what would have happened to him 4 years from now.

and Dak is a top 10 QB. whether you admit it or not. the NFL executives and scouts and experts agree. me and you on this board do not matter. your opinion does not matter. my opinion does not matter. the owners, agents, executives, front offices, etc. matter and what they decide and do. and right now he is worth a 31M contract. and next year he is 37, if dallas decides to go another direction, some one will pay him. that's the NFL QB market.

and what will you say if Dak wins a superbowl. wait I know. it was the WR (some of whom we didn't want to resign or wanted to trade). it was the OL, it was Zeke (which we think is over rated, slowing down and over paid), its the defense (but most of them suck), its the coach, its everyone but Dak…. right?

I guess team concept only works when its for a guy you like...... I mean can't you see all the other QB's wining all the superbowls with JAG's everywhere????? come on Dak is no better than Quincy Carter.... seriously there is a guy on this board selling that snake oil for real.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Oh my..

That's was fun watching you regurgitate all of that.

I think I need that, too right about now.

I really have no idea what the virus is going to do going forward. Look at baseball.

We just have to see what happens. I think most of us will be able to determine if Dak improves or not. I think it has to come down to wins and losses..not just stats or whatever.

So much is unknown.

What we have learned with this team is..better stats do not win anything. Dak won his race last year by proving he can improve throwing the ball..

Now the other teams will study his tape and he will have to improve more to meet expectations.

How will he do that?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I think he is the 8th highest paid though some of those paid more are backups after losing there job and a guy like hill is not just a backup QB
I think you always want an elite QB but it’s very hard to have one all the time. Part of being elite by definition is there aren’t many
I think you have to be planning right now for Dak to be gine next year. Because it is a possibility and you can for all possibilities
I think Dak is a top 10 QB and having a top 10 QB means at that position you are ahead of 2/3 of the league
The odds of having a top 3-4 QB are slim. Some teams never have and most teams have only had one or two in their history
So you build a TEAM that can win with a top 10 player because that’s still a very good QB
The issues with the cap going forward will effect lots of decisions
I wanted Dak signed and wish we had got it done. But we didn’t and looking forward it’s only gonna get harder
So you have to have a plan to move on
Dalton may be a short term bridge for one more season but to me if you are gonna move on from Dak you have no choice but get in top of next draft and take your shot
That’s gonna be very expensive in terms of picks at a time when the value of picks is higher than ever because of the uncertainty of the draft going forward

I totally agree with the vast majority of the post.

Just because I voice a concern doesn't mean I don't like Dak....I do.

However, I can see how the whole situation has played out.....there's no blame, they are at an impasse (caused by a flash owner who's capitulated in alot of recent contract negotiations and an agent who thinks he can get to squeeze him). To be fair to the Jones all of the recent contracts are structured in a similar way.....money up front with little guaranteed at the latter end which allows for flexibility.

I see us sign a HC that has already shown that he's prepared to discard an established QB. (accept that replacement was already inhouse, but he still made the decision to play 'his man')

I am convinced that MM wants to see and work with Dak before commiting a massive chunk of his CAP money in the next 3 years, especially if he thinks the needs are elsewhere.

Yes, i'd try and extend Dalton now for 2021.

If the Cowboys do well in 2020 it will mean two things:
a) Dak is worth what he wants
b) MM is able to coach a team to success.
c) There wont be any glaring weaknesses that need to be filled through Free Agency.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I totally agree with the vast majority of the post.

Just because I voice a concern doesn't mean I don't like Dak....I do.

However, I can see how the whole situation has played out.....there's no blame, they are at an impasse (caused by a flash owner who's capitulated in alot of recent contract negotiations and an agent who thinks he can get to squeeze him). To be fair to the Jones all of the recent contracts are structured in a similar way.....money up front with little guaranteed at the latter end which allows for flexibility.

I see us sign a HC that has already shown that he's prepared to discard an established QB. (accept that replacement was already inhouse, but he still made the decision to play 'his man')

I am convinced that MM wants to see and work with Dak before commiting a massive chunk of his CAP money in the next 3 years, especially if he thinks the needs are elsewhere.

Yes, i'd try and extend Dalton now for 2021.

If the Cowboys do well in 2020 it will mean two things:
a) Dak is worth what he wants
b) MM is able to coach a team to success.
c) There wont be any glaring weaknesses that need to be filled through Free Agency.

I completely agree MM should get the chance to pick his QB, that may be the best thing we could see from the GM point of view....I dont however think MM sees Dalton as anything other than an insurance policy that is better than Rush and could be had at about the same price (good job GM) Again there is no way MM told the Jones "Don't worry about signing Dak, go get me Dalton and we will roll" and was hired NO CHANCE...I'm not saying that is what you are saying Wales, but some on here are

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I completely agree MM should get the chance to pick his QB, that may be the best thing we could see from the GM point of view....I dont however think MM sees Dalton as anything other than an insurance policy that is better than Rush and could be had at about the same price (good job GM) Again there is no way MM told the Jones "Don't worry about signing Dak, go get me Dalton and we will roll" and was hired NO CHANCE...I'm not saying that is what you are saying Wales, but some on here are

Oh I agree that Dalton's not the answer and was signed as a good back up. He's probably the best we could have got at such a late stage to cover especially if Dak had held out....I think signing Cam would of totally soured negotiations.

However, I do think some of the rationale was that Dalton's more of a viable starter that Rush if Dak held out.

If we're successful this year im sure the Jones check book will be opened.....if we're not and negotiations don't move by the 2021 draft we're destined to draft a QB with a early pick. If that QB isnt ready to start we may need a stop gap possibly Dalton or trade.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Oh I agree that Dalton's not the answer and was signed as a good back up. He's probably the best we could have got at such a late stage to cover especially if Dak had held out....I think signing Cam would of totally soured negotiations.

However, I do think some of the rationale was that Dalton's more of a viable starter that Rush if Dak held out.

If we're successful this year im sure the Jones check book will be opened.....if we're not and negotiations don't move by the 2021 draft we're destined to draft a QB with a early pick. If that QB isnt ready to start we may need a stop gap possibly Dalton or trade.

And if that is MM call i'm on board with it as long as he is held responsible for what happens on the field no matter who he picks. I cant live through the process years again

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Oh my..

That's was fun watching you regurgitate all of that.

I think I need that, too right about now.

I really have no idea what the virus is going to do going forward. Look at baseball.

We just have to see what happens. I think most of us will be able to determine if Dak improves or not. I think it has to come down to wins and losses..not just stats or whatever.

So much is unknown.

What we have learned with this team is..better stats do not win anything. Dak won his race last year by proving he can improve throwing the ball..

Now the other teams will study his tape and he will have to improve more to meet expectations.

How will he do that?
wins and losses in 2019? or do the other year not count?

and wins and losses are all on the QB? nobody else? we have been down that road before.....when we won, it was the team. when we lost it was Dak….

Dak proved he can improve, be a better passer....but coaching, defense and special teams (oh my) let this team down. as Johnson used to say, there are three phases in the game and they all count....

and you are assuming he is not going to improve, and Dak has proven to be a hard worker, so he studied himself and he is trying to improve himself? no? and he studies other teams defending him and he is trying to improve that? no? so other teams have this magic thing and we don't? no?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Those are all reasonable possibilities.

I think the bigger issue is what will the effects and impacts be on a team which is built to contend now without a Franchise QB. How long will it potentially set us back while we’re looking for solutions either in FA and or developing a draft pick?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jerry is great at firing people so long as it's not a family member. Scapegoats aplenty at the Star.

Flamma

Reaction score

That's the thing. A 4 year contract with Mahomes is totally different than with Dak. There is still two years left on Patrick's rookie deal. None left on Dak's.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
That's the thing. A 4 year contract with Mahomes is totally different than with Dak. There is still two years left on Patrick's rookie deal. None left on Dak's.

Structure is most definitely the key word in this, which brings us full circle back to how the deal didn't get done, the 2 sides want different structures....if the reports are correct

Flamma

Reaction score
Structure is most definitely the key word in this, which brings us full circle back to how the deal didn't get done, the 2 sides want different structures....if the reports are correct

Lots of question. If it was the 4 or 5 year hang up, what now? Will he now want 3 years? Or go back to the 4 year demand?

If the Cowboys want to keep him, will the starting point be close to 38 million a year since that would be what he'd be getting with a second tag? I highly doubt Dak is on the team next year.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Lots of question. If it was the 4 or 5 year hang up, what now? Will he now want 3 years? Or go back to the 4 year demand?

If the Cowboys want to keep him, will the starting point be close to 38 million a year since that would be what he'd be getting with a second tag? I highly doubt Dak is on the team next year.

they will need both sides to be open to creative structure for sure, as much as i think Dak can win and don't want to go back into playing "who's the QB" at some point the amount is too much to field a team that can win for sure.

Flamma

Reaction score
they will need both sides to be open to creative structure for sure, as much as i think Dak can win and don't want to go back into playing "who's the QB" at some point the amount is too much to field a team that can win for sure.

That's the thing. Damned if you do and damned if you don't kind of scenario.