Video: Jerry Jones will fire Dak Prescott if he has to pay Mahomes money

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
will fire? how could he fire someone he wouldn't have under contract, and if he is already under contract, then I guess he is making what he is, because he was given a contract.

this was dumb.....
I think you are missing the point.

Paying Dak the Tag implies you are paying him $31 mil/yr and becuz the second year gets locked in at $38MIL/Yr due to the Tag requiring Dak to be paid 20% of the total cap..

that is not going to be affordable being we have so many other high dollar guys already.

So maybe you can see it more quickly. If the cap crashes as much as they predict..

Dak is on the street. There will be no $38 mil to pay him in 2021. Nor any other year.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I’m a dak fan but an elite qb he is not....could he be yes, will he be dunno....but an elite qb would have won week 16 in philly last year....he played good but not great....

I will agree he didn't have a good game, and i expect alot more out of this whole team now that ole red is gone...

KeepinTime

Reaction score
I don't think we are done after this year, necessarily. Certainly not ideal but the other shoe here is what will other teams pay? Lots of people always assumed that Dak could get more money then anybody on a resign. They may still believe that. But I honestly don't believe he comes close to seeing an offer like that. I'm not even sure he will see an offer that might match the one he got from Dallas. Dak may not have a lot of choice here. This thing might go beyond just this next year and then your basically three years away from a contract. I don't know how this will work but I know this, Dak should have taken the offer he got. CAA are not good guys. They are not for Dak IMO. They are for CAA.

Exactly. Not to mention, with the money the league is losing I certainly wouldn’t expect the salary cap to go up the next couple years. I think Dak is going to be losing a boatload of cash in the near future.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I’m a dak fan but an elite qb he is not....could he be yes, will he be dunno....but an elite qb would have won week 16 in philly last year....he played good but not great....

Disagree on Dak not being elite. Any offense will struggle to move the chains if the run game is a no show vs a good defense. This is on Kellen Moore to get Pollard more involved if Zeke keeps getting stuffed at the line.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
A lot easier said than done, this scenario could potentially set this team back 2-3 years, if not more.

I think probably more. Even Mahomes sat his first year and won in his third and the odds of Dallas drafting another Mahomes is not high.

The quandary is judging how far starting over at QB sets the team back vs how far overpaying a good but not great QB elite money sets the team back. Paying Eli killed the Giants but did drafting Daniel Jones kill them more?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Our offense was #1 this past season. Dak threw for just under 5,000 yards with 65% completions. So what does Dak have to do to be elevated in a top 5? 6,000 yards passing? Our losses vs the good teams were because Zeke was a no show.
Zeke was the problem?

Really.?

He was Pro Bowl again in 2019.

The fact the playcalling could not have fooled a Pop Warner team.

Zeke is your fall guy?

Really?

Jipper

Reaction score
Disagree on Dak not being elite. Any offense will struggle to move the chains if the run game is a no show vs a good defense. This is on Kellen Moore to get Pollard more involved if Zeke keeps getting stuffed at the line.

you can disagree all you want but fact is that he’s constantly rated between 8 and 13 give or take a spot by people that know much more than you or I.

elite is top 3 to 5 and dak is not top 5 ....he’s good but not elite.

patrick mahones is elite, do you consider dak on the same level as him?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Zeke was the problem?

Really.?

He was Pro Bowl again in 2019.

The fact the playcalling could not have fooled a Pop Warner team.

Zeke is your fall guy?

Really?

Look at what Zeke gave the offense in the majority of the losses. He was getting stuffed at the line because all he did was run up the middle over and over. He was a major problem. As I said, Moore needs to get Pollard more involved if Zeke gets shut down to easy.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak either elevates to a top five qb and gets paid as such or he is gone and we draft a new one and use dalton to bridge the development
Mahomes is By far 1 with a gap just to 2...daks been offered a top 5 contract and turned it down. this OP suggests hes wanting Mahomes type deal and of true Jerry finds a way to trade him for sure..

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
you can disagree all you want but fact is that he’s constantly rated between 8 and 13 give or take a spot by people that know much more than you or I.

And you can disagree all you want but Dak led the #1 offense despite Zeke being a no show vs the good teams.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Guess this year is an audition for a new QB..

Sounds like all made up BS drama, much of which doesn't make sense.

Simplest explanation - Dak thinks he will make more money going the Kirk Cousins route than Jerry is willing to pay. No drama. Just bidness.

That was apparent last year, when Dak refused a mid 30s offer even while playing for just 2mil, and having banked less than 5mil up to that point. Willing to risk huge gtd money relative to what he already had, to get a better deal in the future. Will he get more desperate for a contract when guaranteed 31mil instead of 2mil? 38mil instead of 31mil?

Maybe Dak re-evaluates that plan with the impending *shrinking* of cap. He should, IMO. Given the projections of a shrinking cap, there will be a *lot* less money chasing a lot more players. Prices come down next year. He should have signed.

Jerry would be a fool to get his panties in a wad over Dak wanting more money given the roaring start he had in 2019. If Dak broke his legs, Jerry would withdraw his offer. If Dak stunk those games up, Jerry rethinks the offer. More information means an adjustment of perceived value. Dak looked better this year than he had his entire career, and the first 3 games were his best stretch by far. If Dak looks like a better QB, he'll expect to be paid like a better QB.

On Garrett, he wanted to go with Dak because that allowed *him* more time with Dallas. The projected time to dump Garrett was always when Romo retired, but magically, when Romo goes down Dak appears and has success under Garrett in 2016, giving Garrett the next rung on the monkey bars to hang onto past the Romo years.

Garrett has held the offense back for years. I can't believe anyone on the offense said anything but Yippee Yippee Yippee when Garrett was dumped.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

Who would be your 5 elite QB's i don't believe there are five in the league right now if your Measure is Mahommes, also what happens when he doesn't win another superbowl but has good stats, is he still elite? Name the multiple superbowl wining QB's in the league right now.....This is where the Dak argument gets tainted A) when you draft a QB even with the first overall pick your chances are slim they are a wining QB much less elite... B) if your plan is to snipe the last super bowl wining QB... well that's just not gonna happen..... so shouldn't the question be " Can we win with Dak" and " who the ***** hired Garrett because he is fired" I know the second one isn't going to happen but a man can dream.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Calling out your teammates for not practicing while saying your doing everything is pretty much blaming them for the losses..

And Went ended up beating him with a battered line-up and clinching a play-off birth, so...

And Dak is the same guy it took a week to throw a TD in training camp in 2018 and the one everybody says doesn’t really practice well...
El Presidente at work.

Jipper

Reaction score
And you can disagree all you want but Dak led the #1 offense despite Zeke being a no show vs the good teams.

Sorry to tell you but your opinion of dak being elite carries much less weight than the people that do this for a living, which have him around 10th which is not elite.

no one out there other than cowboys fans say dak is an elite qb. Good yes, elite no.

And my opinion is also not relevant, im simply stating what I’m seeing out there...I know I don’t have the full view of these analysts or coaches

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who would be your 5 elite QB's i don't believe there are five in the league right now if your Measure is Mahommes, also what happens when he doesn't win another superbowl but has good stats, is he still elite? Name the multiple superbowl wining QB's in the league right now.....This is where the Dak argument gets tainted A) when you draft a QB even with the first overall pick your chances are slim they are a wining QB much less elite... B) if your plan is to snipe the last super bowl wining QB... well that's just not gonna happen..... so shouldn't the question be " Can we win with Dak" and " who the ***** hired Garrett because he is fired" I know the second one isn't going to happen but a man can dream.

The thing is he's GOT one already. And he showed us...with the dreaded "eye test" he got some heroship in it. He didn't just drive the bus. So you pay that guy.

What do we have in dak? What magic bus did he put on his back? So give him a year...with this coach. And if it costs us.....then at least there is some magic in the bus and you can justify it.

conner01

Reaction score
I agree but can’t pay a top 15 qb like a top 3 qb and expect to have money to pay everyone else
What’s top 3 money changes every year
Eventually Mahommes won’t be topped paid

Jipper

Reaction score

I said 3 to 5 bc exactly as you pointed out it ebbs and flows.

I’d say mahomes, Wilson and Brees with Jackson and Watson in the second group

would I take dak over any of them, no. But again dak is good I just don’t see as elite

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you think the odds of drafting a top 5 QB are
Only 5 players in the entire nfl are top 5 QB’s so I’d say the odds are pretty low
Does Dak know this? I mean....know that he isn't a top 5 QB? Odds are "pretty low".