Jerry making mistake keeping Garrett

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jason is a Lame Duck HC now. He’s gone regardless how we finish. Everyone knows it. I don’t believe he’d want to stay or be welcome if we made it to the Super Bowl.

We still have a chance to finish strong and possibly make some noise in the playoffs.

Jerry is making this decision because it’s easier on him to leave Garrett in place because he doesn't really want another HC but the atmosphere is too toxic now for success with Garrett.

We might still back-in to the playoffs cause Egirls are even a bigger mess than we are. But with current environment it’s not conducive for success here.

After Thursday night it’s still not too late. We’ll have 10 days to adjust and hopefully provide a spark or we’ll otherwise possibly lose out. Which again will make the decision easier on Jerry.

Jerry, have some balls and do us all and Jason a favor. Once you know someone’s time is up it serves no one to leave him in place.
I personally think it would be worse to name an interim head coach, because if the team wins a few more games it will confuse the issue on who to name as the permanent coach after the season. It could lead to questions as to whether the interim guy needs more time, and I would rather start from scratch looking for a coach with all candidates on equal footing, whether the candidate is currently with the team or someone from the college ranks or another NFL team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I personally think it would be worse to name an interim head coach, because if the team wins a few more games it will confuse the issue on who to name as the permanent coach after the season. It could lead to questions as to whether the interim guy needs more time, and I would rather start from scratch looking for a coach with all candidates on equal footing, whether the candidate is currently with the team or someone from the college ranks or another NFL team.
In other words an easier decision for Jerry.

I just don’t get mailing in the rest of the season with a Lame Duck HC.

I never want to give up on a season until it’s over. Make ever decision and move you can to optimize.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I know Jerry says that he's keeping Garrett because Garrett is the only one that can salvage the season.

But I wonder what happens if they go up to Chicago and lose on Thursday night?

Jerry can't honestly then sit there and say it's Garrett that will pull us out of this mess. If he does, it's clear as day that this is no longer about what's best for the team but rather what's best for Jerry and his best buddy Jason.
I thought this after Thursday. They got a gift because the egirls lost. That saved JG for a few more weeks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I thought this after Thursday. They got a gift because the egirls lost. That saved JG for a few more weeks.
The gift provided us a greater opportunity to win the division. This season is still on.

And we need to dump our Lame Duck HC.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
This team isn't going anywhere even if they let Garrett go tomorrow. They haven't beat a team above .500. That is not the sign of a good team that if they made the playoffs, would make a solid run for the Superbowl. Firing Garrett not will not ensure a Superbowl appearance, let alone a victory.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Bingo. Its personal for Jerry. He enjoys chunmmng it up, and the camaraderie of being around the team. Its hard for him to see through the fog of his own feelings.
Jerry is like the parent, who wants to be a friend to his kids instead of the parent. He just wants to be liked and known as a football guy. He's looking to cling on to anything at this point (a Phili loss) to make his flea circus look real or better. He frivolously throws $$ at everything as a solution in hopes it goes away or improves since he cannot provide any other value besides $$.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In other words an easier decision for Jerry.

I just don’t get mailing in the rest of the season with a Lame Duck HC.

I never want to give up on a season until it’s over. Make ever decision and move you can to optimize.
I absolutely understand, and even agree with, not giving up on the season. And if I were convinced there was a significant chance that naming Kris Richard or Kellen Moore as interim head coach would notably improve our chances, I would be for that. Unfortunately I don't personally feel that kind of change would make much of a difference for this season.

endersdragon

Reaction score
I think I see it the exact opposite as you. Garrett will be fighting for his next job, even if not this one. What would Rod be fighting for? What should Richard be fighting for? I would rather see a lame duck with a reason to fight than someone with no reason to fight.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I absolutely understand, and even agree with, not giving up on the season. And if I were convinced there was a significant chance that naming Kris Richard or Kellen Moore as interim head coach would notably improve our chances, I would be for that. Unfortunately I don't personally feel that kind of change would make much of a difference for this season.
You have to try. Leaving a Lame Duck in place is basically conceding .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think I see it the exact opposite as you. Garrett will be fighting for his next job, even if not this one. What would Rod be fighting for? What should Richard be fighting for? I would rather see a lame duck with a reason to fight than someone with no reason to fight.
What Mgmt leaves a Lame Duck in place?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jason is a Lame Duck HC now. He’s gone regardless how we finish. Everyone knows it. I don’t believe he’d want to stay or be welcome if we made it to the Super Bowl.

If the Cowboys get to the Super Bowl Garrett won't be going anywhere.

We still have a chance to finish strong and possibly make some noise in the playoffs.

I think we'll be lucky to match last year's performance.

I don't see any saviors standing on that sideline - I don't get the fascination some have with Richard. My fear is an interim coach would do just enough to give Jerry a dumb idea.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have to try. Leaving a Lame Duck in place is basically conceding .
It's a choice - but how much opportunity would Moore or Richard have to change things at this point? They can't revamp schemes or bring in their own staffs or do any of the things that a new head coach needs to do to turn a team around. It would basically amount to doing what they are already doing with a different guy giving the locker room speeches.

What Mgmt leaves a Lame Duck in place?
Most of them. Mid season changes are much less common that post season changes.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
This is a tricky situation for Jerry. What we don't have a feel for how the players feel about Garrett. If they respect him or like him, firing him now may upset the team even more creating division in the locker room. Jerry said it already, he believes a move like that will be more disruptive than helpful. You could argue going 6-10 without Garrett is no different than going 6-10 with him and that would be true, but Jerry believes this team has a better chance of winning with Garrett simply because firing him would be a massive distraction, and it would be. At this point, Jerry is letting them play and hoping the players get angry enough to go out and win one game on their own. I think he thinks if they beat the Bears it will turn things around. I don't agree with him on that but I can see where he is coming from.

I don't disagree Jerry's decision to wait until after the season to fire Garrett. The Cowboys are still in first place and are facing 4 teams with similar problems to Dallas. Just win and get in and see what happens. I am not for a second suggesting Garrett should remain as coach in 2020. Garrett should have been fired 5 years ago. His game management alone proved he is incapable of being a championship coach. There was never any point in investing 10 years in him, nice guy or not. Jerry needs to stop being pals with his employees. When they don't perform he needs to move on from them, especially his head coach and staff.

as stated 999 other times so this would be the 1000t time, By waiting until the end of the season, he doesn't have to fire Jason. Just don't renew him. Or give him a position in the FO. Just get him off of the field...

Sydla

Reaction score

Somewhat true. Philly losing allows the Cowboys to lose the next two and still have the game in Philly likely be for the division.

So you might be right, Jerry might be not caring what happens the next two weeks because he now knows as long as Garrett wins in Philly (and then Washington at home) we go to the playoffs.

kskboys

Reaction score
I prefer they keep Garrett until the end of the season and then start the new year with a fresh slate and no interference from an interim appointment. I want a new HC to come in and be given complete control over who stays and goes from the existing the coaching staff.
Ok, but turn it around.

Aside from a few weaknesses, this team is stacked. W/ JG, we are going nowhere. However, if we give the right guy a shot, it could easily end up in a playoff run. Why would you not want to take a chance and see?

kskboys

Reaction score
This team isn't going anywhere even if they let Garrett go tomorrow. They haven't beat a team above .500. That is not the sign of a good team that if they made the playoffs, would make a solid run for the Superbowl. Firing Garrett not will not ensure a Superbowl appearance, let alone a victory.
Keeping him ensures that we go nowhere.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Somewhat true. Philly losing allows the Cowboys to lose the next two and still have the game in Philly likely be for the division.

So you might be right, Jerry might be not caring what happens the next two weeks because he now knows as long as Garrett wins in Philly (and then Washington at home) we go to the playoffs.
I do wonder if we drop the egirls game if he isn’t fired before the skins game. Could depend if we win against the bears or rams. May come down to the skins game at the end of season..