Jerry making mistake keeping Garrett

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's a choice - but how much opportunity would Moore or Richard have to change things at this point? They can't revamp schemes or bring in their own staffs or do any of the things that a new head coach needs to do to turn a team around. It would basically amount to doing what they are already doing with a different guy giving the locker room speeches.

Most of them. Mid season changes are much less common that post season changes.
But they don’t have teams that can be in playoffs.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jason is a Lame Duck HC now. He’s gone regardless how we finish. Everyone knows it. I don’t believe he’d want to stay or be welcome if we made it to the Super Bowl.

We still have a chance to finish strong and possibly make some noise in the playoffs.

Jerry is making this decision because it’s easier on him to leave Garrett in place because he doesn't really want another HC but the atmosphere is too toxic now for success with Garrett.

We might still back-in to the playoffs cause Egirls are even a bigger mess than we are. But with current environment it’s not conducive for success here.

After Thursday night it’s still not too late. We’ll have 10 days to adjust and hopefully provide a spark or we’ll otherwise possibly lose out. Which again will make the decision easier on Jerry.

Jerry, have some balls and do us all and Jason a favor. Once you know someone’s time is up it serves no one to leave him in place.
I agree. at this point, just let him go....status quo doesn't work in this situation. all the players know he is a goner, they are quitting on the coaching. its obvious from lack of simple execution that they are not focused. garrett looks frustrated on the sideline. his agent is puitting out the news about Giants interest...that's obvious....and the rest of the coaching staff is thinking about their next gig.

if he is planning to let him go, which I am a 100% sure he is...then what are you going to gain by keeping him. Garrett always had the locker room, and he no longer has that.....so he should just let him go...there is no chance this team makes a play off run. the coaching is not solid. that's obvious....we are not the giants to go 6-6 and into playoffs and make a run...that's once every 50 years as a cinderella story....you can't bank on that....let him go. put Richard in charge, get a sense of urgency into the team and lets see how they do.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The gift provided us a greater opportunity to win the division. This season is still on.

And we need to dump our Lame Duck HC.
I agree that it’s over for JG. But while the playoffs are still in reach JG will stay. But anything short of a SB trophy and JG is done.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They're going nowhere anyhow. Maybe make the playoffs but it'll be done before it starts.
If we actually believe we have enough talent you can’t give up on the season while we can give up on our Lame Duck .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree that it’s over for JG. But while the playoffs are still in reach JG will stay. But anything short of a SB trophy and JG is done.
I think he’s gone anyway. Bottom line is this toxic environment with him still here isn’t conducive for success.

If you have any hope this team has enough talent to make a run Garrett must go .

ShiningStar

Reaction score
You seriously believe we have someone currently on the staff who is capable of turning this thing around overnight? Who? Why?

this is defending the mediocrity.

no one is expecting this ship to be righted.

however it would be smart for the new coach to know he has the job so he can evaluate the team. Time is a factor and id rather him have more time. Get it out of the way now, let teh fan base know JJ is doing the right thing and let the head coach know its his team now and let him make calls, see whats what and look at the changes they want made.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What Mgmt leaves a Lame Duck in place?
The same one that brings a TE back from a failed attempt at broadcasting to help him save face.

You forget, these are not people that do the right thing or what they have to do, they can do what they want to do and the cash register just keeps ringing. They are far too close to Garrett to embarrass him with an in season firing. This is not then same as the Gruden situation, the Cowboys are still 1.5 games up on the Eagles and if they were to fire Garrett and it spirals into the ground, what do the talking heads say then? The Joneses get second guessed the least by letting this play out.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Keep JG until the season ends, that's the more logical answer. We're a competitive team, leading the division and a good chance to make the playoffs. As much as JG blows, a green HC isn't doing any better. This is a knee jerk reaction.
If we were out of contention I'd think different, but if I'm a player I want my best chance to win.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this is defending the mediocrity.

no one is expecting this ship to be righted.

however it would be smart for the new coach to know he has the job so he can evaluate the team. Time is a factor and id rather him have more time. Get it out of the way now, let teh fan base know JJ is doing the right thing and let the head coach know its his team now and let him make calls, see whats what and look at the changes they want made.
Do you really think Garrett ever had that? Do you think any new guy is going to have that?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Keep JG until the season ends, that's the more logical answer. We're a competitive team, leading the division and a good chance to make the playoffs. As much as JG blows, a green HC isn't doing any better. This is a knee jerk reaction.
If we were out of contention I'd think different, but if I'm a player I want my best chance to win.
I could double Like this, G.

The next HC is not presently on the team so there's nothing to evaluate in the next 4 games. This isn't the same situation as when Garrett was the OC. Richard sure as hell isn't the guy, he's showing why Carroll didn't want to keep him to rebuild his D. Moore hasn't figured out the OC role yet.

There is absolutely no good reason to make a change now and plenty of good ones to let this play out.

Reactions: G2

kskboys

Reaction score
They're going nowhere anyhow. Maybe make the playoffs but it'll be done before it starts.
Depends on who is hired.

For instance, if we hired Bill Belechick right now, we'd most likely make a deep playoff run. Yes, that is exaggeration to make a point.

However, what if we find our own Bellychickens? The right guy could actually turn this team around pretty quick. The division is ours for the taking, despite our best efforts to lose it. Get a better HC in, and we could actually make some noise in the playoffs.

kskboys

Reaction score

The next HC is not presently on the team so there's nothing to evaluate in the next 4 games. This isn't the same situation as when Garrett was the OC. Richard sure as hell isn't the guy, he's showing why Carroll didn't want to keep him to rebuild his D. Moore hasn't figured out the OC role yet.

There is absolutely no good reason to make a change now and plenty of good ones to let this play out.
I actually see zero reasons to let this play out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Urban Meyer is a talking head at present.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

And, we're not doing as bad. We're very much in it.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I agree. He’s afraid of personal feelings above all else. Only chance to give this team a shot in the arm is to pull the trigger now.
And name himself coach...Everyone has feared this day...it has now arrived. Embrace the 4 game clown show that is the Jerry Jones coaching clinic. You all know you want to see it. ;)

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Do you really think Garrett ever had that? Do you think any new guy is going to have that?

yes and yes, Garrett had paradise, he had an owner who believed in him.

the new guy wont have that. JJ will feel hes getting a new HC to keep the money happy. remember this is an owner who got rid of not 1 SB wining coach BUT 2 SB winning coaches. Garrett was his golden boy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually see zero reasons to let this play out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Urban Meyer is a talking head at present.
No HC is coming in during the season, that's why they have the interim ones.

Hell, this would be like hiring a new golf pro at the country club in the middle of the tournament, gonna take the members a little time to get acclimated.

I cannot see any good reason to do anything at this point in the season.

Reactions: G2

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Ok, but turn it around.

Aside from a few weaknesses, this team is stacked. W/ JG, we are going nowhere. However, if we give the right guy a shot, it could easily end up in a playoff run. Why would you not want to take a chance and see?
Systematic failure across all 3 phases of the team. No member of the current staff gets me excited about the future.

Creeper

Reaction score
as stated 999 other times so this would be the 1000t time, By waiting until the end of the season, he doesn't have to fire Jason. Just don't renew him. Or give him a position in the FO. Just get him off of the field...

The argument is not about HOW they get Garrett out of the building, its about when. You don't need to repeat your point. Save your energy for another argument..