Jerry making mistake keeping Garrett

ShiningStar

Reaction score
No HC is coming in during the season, that's why they have the interim ones.

Hell, this would be like hiring a new golf pro at the country club in the middle of the tournament, gonna take the members a little time to get acclimated.

I cannot see any good reason to do anything at this point in the season.

time, they need more time. yes i know a lot of fans want to keep the mediocrity as long as they can, kick that failed crap to the curb, get the new guy in, even if its on paper, sign the contract and let them start now. evaluate, getting staff, making calls, watching anything and everything. time is our friend now.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
time, they need more time. yes i know a lot of fans want to keep the mediocrity as long as they can, kick that failed crap to the curb, get the new guy in, even if its on paper, sign the contract and let them start now. evaluate, getting staff, making calls, watching anything and everything. time is our friend now.
That would be a first. Teams do not bring in HCs during the season because they do not want the present season held against them unless they're auditioning someone from the inside as they were Garrett. If they're thinking of Richard, then that might be worth a shot but not bringing anyone in from the outside at this stage of the game.

The other side of this is that you're dealing with the eternal optimist at GM and the team is leading the division by 1 with 4 to play. It's not even a foregone conclusion that the HC position is changing at this point.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
That would be a first. Teams do not bring in HCs during the season because they do not want the present season held against them unless they're auditioning someone from the inside as they were Garrett. If they're thinking of Richard, then that might be worth a shot but not bringing anyone in from the outside at this stage of the game.

The other side of this is that you're dealing with the eternal optimist at GM and the team is leading the division by 1 with 4 to play. It's not even a foregone conclusion that the HC position is changing at this point.

your point is valid, however i dont care what other teams do, and yes, JJ is the problem, not arguing that. For this situation, sign the contract, give teh new guy time. i agree with your points, but JJ has to show he means business or the league still wont take him serious

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ARE YOU GUYS NUTS????????

Please feel free to list all of the HC's fired with 4 games left in the season and leading their division by 1 game. OK, I will leave a lot of space here for that lengthy list.

I swear, sometimes I think being a Cowboys fan has dimmed some wits around here. This is one of the all time award winning crazy ideas I've ever seen here and proof the Booger Effect is on full display. First symptom, you just ain't thinkin' right.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
your point is valid, however i dont care what other teams do, and yes, JJ is the problem, not arguing that. For this situation, sign the contract, give teh new guy time. i agree with your points, but JJ has to show he means business or the league still wont take him serious
SS, do you think the league takes him serious about anything but money at this point? They gave him a gold jacket because of the gold.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The same one that brings a TE back from a failed attempt at broadcasting to help him save face.

You forget, these are not people that do the right thing or what they have to do, they can do what they want to do and the cash register just keeps ringing. They are far too close to Garrett to embarrass him with an in season firing. This is not then same as the Gruden situation, the Cowboys are still 1.5 games up on the Eagles and if they were to fire Garrett and it spirals into the ground, what do the talking heads say then? The Joneses get second guessed the least by letting this play out.
Yep
And why this is more about what’s best for Jerry not Cowboys Football to finish this season. This is why I’m calling it out Coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Please feel free to list all of the HC's fired with 4 games left in the season and leading their division by 1 game. OK, I will leave a lot of space here for that lengthy list.

I swear, sometimes I think being a Cowboys fan has dimmed some wits around here. This is one of the all time award winning crazy ideas I've ever seen here and proof the Booger Effect is on full display. First symptom, you just ain't thinkin' right.
The same list which is intent on replacing their HC leading the division in this situation.

Who fires their coach after winning division amid a playoff game?

The same list which calls out their coaching after being beat at the World Champs house.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No HC is coming in during the season, that's why they have the interim ones.

Hell, this would be like hiring a new golf pro at the country club in the middle of the tournament, gonna take the members a little time to get acclimated.

I cannot see any good reason to do anything at this point in the season.
That means you’ve given up on the season. If you have then what difference does it make?

Batman1980

Reaction score
I think the lack of move has more to do with not wanting to pay someone else head coaching $ for just 4 games when Jason's already paid. Probably the same line of thinking saving Brett Maher.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
SS, do you think the league takes him serious about anything but money at this point? They gave him a gold jacket because of the gold.

i had hoped they did, but lets face it, they probably dont. but the media and the fans dont, he really just loves the money

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The same list which is intent on replacing their HC leading the division in this situation.

The same list which calls out their coaching after being beat at the World Champs house.
Greg, what does any of this mean? What same list? There isn't a name on the list, that's the point.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
It’s simply an easier decision for Jerry. This is about Jerry not the Cowboys.

I understand your logic on this but I’m not so sure I agree. Jerry has made the universally unpopular decision to fire Landry and Jimmy

The only two Super Bowl winning coaches in the history of the franchise

I know that served his particular purposes at that moment but I can’t believe the heat he took for those firings made those choices the easy choice

I guess what I’m saying is if Jerry can deal with the fallout and the trouble of firing both Landry and Jimmy, then no offense but firing Garrett should be a cakewalk decision

Nothing difficult about that at all

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yep
And why this is more about what’s best for Jerry not Cowboys Football to finish this season. This is why I’m calling it out Coach.
It's what's best for the team. It's unrealistic to assume a change now would be a good idea. Just the opposite. It wouldn't be fair to the players to change at this point. Especially the ones that may not be here next season.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score

They can't fire Garrett yet because Belichick is coming here, he won't be available until after the SB. I read it here first.

BoysForLife

Reaction score

You’re joking right? Jimmy was fired after winning back to back Super Bowls

If you can cut ties with a coach then, you certainly can cut ties with the coach who won the division with a .500 record

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's what's best for the team. It's unrealistic to assume a change now would be a good idea. Just the opposite. It wouldn't be fair to the players to change at this point. Especially the ones that may not be here next season.
I don’t believe it’s fair to leave a Lame Duck HC in place. Not if you’re interested in making any noise in the playoffs.

Might as well just mail it in which is what I think some fans expect.

No, this decision is what’s best for Jerry.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You’re joking right? Jimmy was fired after winning back to back Super Bowls

If you can cut ties with a coach then, you certainly can cut ties with the coach who won the division with a .500 record
Jimmy wasn’t fired for not being successful. Completely different circumstances.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I agree. at this point, just let him go....status quo doesn't work in this situation. all the players know he is a goner, they are quitting on the coaching. its obvious from lack of simple execution that they are not focused. garrett looks frustrated on the sideline. his agent is puitting out the news about Giants interest...that's obvious....and the rest of the coaching staff is thinking about their next gig.

if he is planning to let him go, which I am a 100% sure he is...then what are you going to gain by keeping him. Garrett always had the locker room, and he no longer has that.....so he should just let him go...there is no chance this team makes a play off run. the coaching is not solid. that's obvious....we are not the giants to go 6-6 and into playoffs and make a run...that's once every 50 years as a cinderella story....you can't bank on that....let him go. put Richard in charge, get a sense of urgency into the team and lets see how they do.
I agree with you but we are dealing with JJ here.. I think the players know and have known all year that JG is gone after this year. This staff needs to be changed. I heard today that since we got rid of taco he has 6 sacks.. lol. I don’t know what’s going on in the locker room. If we fire him now will the players give into the season being over or a new interim like Richard bring some fire to this team. We are stacked with talent. It’s why we can beat the egirls. We have a better Offense, they likey have a better defensive line and a better ST(who doesn’t). And better coaching. But the talent of our players get the win. When we face better teams we lose on the coaching.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I understand your logic on this but I’m not so sure I agree. Jerry has made the universally unpopular decision to fire Landry and Jimmy

The only two Super Bowl winning coaches in the history of the franchise

I know that served his particular purposes at that moment but I can’t believe the heat he took for those firings made those choices the easy choice

I guess what I’m saying is if Jerry can deal with the fallout and the trouble of firing both Landry and Jimmy, then no offense but firing Garrett should be a cakewalk decision

Nothing difficult about that at all
That’s not my point. And firing Garrett is a popular decision.