Jerry needs to hire a competent football mind and give him full autonomy

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He did hire a real football person, and is paying him to stay.
Will McClay.

Jerry is not as involved or pulling strings like everyone wants to claim.

:popcorn:

Everyone knows that Jerry is still very involved. Stephen is also the head of player personnel. Do you think Stephen isn't effectively an extension of his father? To say Jerry is not highly involved is just not accurate.

RS12

Reaction score
I have been on this board 18 years. I have literally seen this exact same post every year without fail. What does that tell you?

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
He did hire a real football person, and is paying him to stay.
Will McClay.

Jerry is not as involved or pulling strings like everyone wants to claim.

:popcorn:

I definitely think he’s involved but it’s not to the way that the fans here make it seem. He’s overblown and everything turns into blame Jerry.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Cowboys will never win anything as long as they have an owner masquerading as GM.
The successful NFL franchises in the salary cap era do not operate in this way.
Jerry wants to be the ultimate puppet master pulling all the strings and thats why this franchise has been a dump for 25 years.
Hire a real football person and step aside and dont come out until the team wins something
Will not happen...everybody knows....media says it. He will not. Specially now...admitting defeat...he won't

rags747

Reaction score
I'm not worried about the draft for this team. We have proven we are great at drafting. That said, sure would have been nice to have TJ next to Parsons and Gregory!

To me, Jerry's problem is his loyalty to his players and staff. He over-evaluates our players...just like we do as fans. He's sees a good year or two and wants to make the big splash. Top 5 highest paid WR, WB, OL, DL, etc etc. That's clearly how he likes to show loyalty to his "family". Problem is, those players haven't always panned out. And despite his riches, he can't buy his way into the Superbowl under the cap.

Same goes for coaching. MM should have been able to choose his own OC. This is business 101. I don't think it is about Jerry micromanaging as much as it is about Jerry not wanting to lose Km. Same was true for JG. Jerry is old and gets very emotionally attached to his players and coaches. You can see it nearly any press conference he does now. This is why there isn't much hope for change for the future, in my eyes.
Yeah and MM also picked his own OL coach and his own Def Coord, how did that work out?

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Id rather have one person ad GM….though 2/3 of them have sucked around the league anyway.

Stiill….Other than firing and hiring head the coach,, Jerry has done minimal GM stuff for years now.

So otherwise, what is you issue
The draft?
Free Agency signing?

It seems that THIS year, the front office did a solid job.
Not good enough though, just like the previous 26 years.

plasticman

Reaction score
Yeah, he does. He won't.

That's about all there is to It's been a pretty hot topic now since.....well.....since jimmy left before the 1994 season.

CWR

Reaction score
Lol let's make world peace happen and put an end to poverty while we are at it.

Plankton

Reaction score
giphy.gif

garyv

Reaction score
Cowboys will never win anything as long as they have an owner masquerading as GM.
The successful NFL franchises in the salary cap era do not operate in this way.
Jerry wants to be the ultimate puppet master pulling all the strings and thats why this franchise has been a dump for 25 years.
Hire a real football person and step aside and dont come out until the team wins something

I think McClay would be solid if not Aikman

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Screw Jerry. The man just loves to hear himself talk. If Jerry talking was worth it's weight in salt we'd have 5 more SB titles by now.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Jerry will step aside when the last JW blue is poured and casket lid is slammed shut