Jerry needs to hire a competent football mind and give him full autonomy

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys have a better chance of winning back to back Super Bowls than Jerry giving full autonomy to someone.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have a better chance of winning back to back Super Bowls than Jerry giving full autonomy to someone.
He will never be angry enough with himself to make that kind of change, so get mad at the help instead, n'est-ce pas?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He will never be angry enough with himself to make that kind of change, so get mad at the help instead, n'est-ce pas?

Whatever Jerry does he’s always going to get the final say on every decision. He’s a control freak. No one is ever going to tell Jerry this is how we’re going to do it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cowboys will never win anything as long as they have an owner masquerading as GM.
The successful NFL franchises in the salary cap era do not operate in this way.
Jerry wants to be the ultimate puppet master pulling all the strings and thats why this franchise has been a dump for 25 years.
Hire a real football person and step aside and dont come out until the team wins something

Shane612

Reaction score
Don't be silly.
They already have a great football mind.
Just ask Jerry.
:muttley:

Shane612

Reaction score
He did hire a real football person, and is paying him to stay.
Will McClay.

Jerry is not as involved or pulling strings like everyone wants to claim.

:popcorn:
Jerry, and his sons, still attends every coaches meetings....according to Bob Sturm.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Will McClay.

True but Jerry is using McClay's player evaluations and acquisitions to take credit as the default GM. Whenever anybody talks about the player acquisition success Dallas has had (and it is true) you and I know it's not Jerry but Jerry wants everybody to think it's Jerry.

As far as the OP for the 10,000th time Jerry is NEVER going to hire a GM or let a coach call the shots because if they ever even get to a Championship game it will prove Jerry was the reason behind 26 years of futility and he isn't going to let the happen while he has a breath left.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Will McClay.

THIS. JERRY is a figurehead. McClay makes all day to day decisions. Stephen has cap guys that give him the numbers and are even the ones that negotiate the contracts. The Jones boys are much less involved than anyone thinks.

Western

Reaction score
McClay is a puppet, like every other management personnel in the organization.

Jerry as the owner makes all the decisions -- from assistant coaching hires, player contracts, to player personnel decisions.
He then uses the media to portray the opposite in order to create the public "appearance", and illusion of collective decision-making.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True but Jerry is using McClay's player evaluations and acquisitions to take credit as the default GM. Whenever anybody talks about the player acquisition success Dallas has had (and it is true) you and I know it's not Jerry but Jerry wants everybody to think it's Jerry.

As far as the OP for the 10,000th time Jerry is NEVER going to hire a GM or let a coach call the shots because if they ever even get to a Championship game it will prove Jerry was the reason behind 26 years of futility and he isn't going to let the happen while he has a breath left.

Jerry also will be the first to give McClay credit. After all he hired him, and is paying him very well.
Yes, he may want the credit as well, but he will also give it out.
He has said before about the great job Will does.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry, and his sons, still attends every coaches meetings....according to Bob Sturm.

And why not, his team, his business. Would you not want to know what is going on in your business.
Owning a team is not exactly owing a business like, oh, IBM. Where you don't or can't be in every meeting.

I had my own business. I ran it myself. But when I tried to allow others to do that for me. I then had to take control back over.

kevm3

Reaction score
Will McClay has been doing a fantastic job where he's allowed to, but if they won't give McClay the reins to hire the HC, they won't give it up to anyone and that's the problem. The kind of coaches we hire are not conducive to post season success. We are a finesse team that relies on talent, but the moment other teams get physical, we just get beat up and lose. We keep hiring agreeable, friendly coaches because that's what Jerry gets along with, but those coaches produce soft teams.

morat1959

Reaction score
Cowboys will never win anything as long as they have an owner masquerading as GM.
The successful NFL franchises in the salary cap era do not operate in this way.
Jerry wants to be the ultimate puppet master pulling all the strings and thats why this franchise has been a dump for 25 years.
Hire a real football person and step aside and dont come out until the team wins something
I’ve been preaching this for MANY years but it ain’t happening…captain!

Hardline

Reaction score
Everyone knows that Jerry is still very involved. Stephen is also the head of player personnel. Do you think Stephen isn't effectively an extension of his father? To say Jerry is not highly involved is just not accurate.
From the socks to the jocks.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
a-1280x720.jpg

NumOneQB

Reaction score
He’ll never do this, even on his death bed. Jerry is the new Al Davis. I’m just waiting on him to switch to the suede track suits….

Cmac

Reaction score
When is that going to happen.......we've been waiting for some time now.

elcowboi

Reaction score
The first word in your title is the problem!!! Until he goes, it won't matter who they bring in.