Jerry on playoff success: The great Tom Landry had criticism for years

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There was absolutely significant criticism and very few people gave a rat's behind that we were an expansion team. The team had not progressed at all from '61 to '64 and even regressed. There was tremendous pressure after '64 that Landy just couldn't get it done and needed to go. Clint squelched that by giving Landry a 10 year extension. It was a bold and quite unpopular move. It took 7 years after for the team to reach the pinnacle. And during that time, the team and Landry had the reputation as "next year's champions". There was absolutely no shortage of fans and media that thought that Landry had taken them as far as they could go and he "couldn't win the big one".

Way too many people color their present view through the hindsight prism.

The point is Jerry is correct in his basic premise, which is how does one know with absolute certainty the result of any move. What if Clint had been swayed by popular opinion and not extended Tom? Maybe they win a championship sooner, maybe they never do. That's the issue Jerry is now facing with Garrett. Maybe pulling the plug on Jason right now produces a championship, but maybe it doesn't where staying the course does. If Jerry keeps Jason, as it certainly looks like will happen, it'll be because he believes that's the best course to win a championship. That's really no different than those that believe the team will never win a championship as long as Jason is HC. Both are subjective based on what one believes.

Just to be clear, and I'm going to put this in hypothetical 3 inch headlines - I am not a Garrett lover, nor am I a Garrett hater. I personally have nothing invested in whether he stays or goes. I will say though that I absolutely believe we have as good a chance as anybody to play in the Super Bowl next year even though we haven't recently. It doesn't mean we will.

I can't say that I agree here. Jerry is not correct because Jerry should know that a comparison of this type will only create more backlash. Any idiot should know that this will be the result. Now, I don't believe Jerry is an idiot, contrary to many opinions I've heard. I do believe that Jerry has a history of doing or saying things that take the pressure off of his team and I would not be surprised if this is not another attempt at just such a solution. Seriously, nobody in his right mind looks at Jason Garrett and sees Tom Landry. Nobody. It's almost insulting to the fan base, with good reason. I believe that Jerry is trying to deflect here but I also believe that this is a miscalculation on Jerry's part. This statement will backfire and create more problems then it solves. Tom Landry is one of the things associated with the team that you don't defile and Jerry just did that, in the eyes of many fans. Those kinds of comparisons don't calm the waters. It's like throwing chum in them instead.

This was a mistake IMO.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Good grief, I guess next he will be comparing the clapping idiot to Jimmy Johnson...were friggn doomed.

JustChip

Reaction score
I can't say that I agree here. Jerry is not correct because Jerry should know that a comparison of this type will only create more backlash. Any idiot should know that this will be the result. Now, I don't believe Jerry is an idiot, contrary to many opinions I've heard. I do believe that Jerry has a history of doing or saying things that take the pressure off of his team and I would not be surprised if this is not another attempt at just such a solution. Seriously, nobody in his right mind looks at Jason Garrett and sees Tom Landry. Nobody. It's almost insulting to the fan base, with good reason. I believe that Jerry is trying to deflect here but I also believe that this is a miscalculation on Jerry's part. This statement will backfire and create more problems then it solves. Tom Landry is one of the things associated with the team that you don't defile and Jerry just did that, in the eyes of many fans. Those kinds of comparisons don't calm the waters. It's like throwing chum in them instead.

This was a mistake IMO.

I agree, it wasn't a wise thing say it and he should've expected the backlash. But that doesn't have anything to do with whether the basic premise is correct.

Jerry is absolutely correct in that Tom was criticized and there was no small measure of doubt in his and the team's ability to win it all UNTIL they did in '72. I don't read at all that he is equating Jason and Tom from a coaching skills standpoint, just that he believes that Jason can win it. Only time will tell if Jerry's belief is validated or those that believe Jason can't win it are validated.

Personally, I wouldn't have invoked Tom in my remarks if I was Jerry. As you pointed out, all that did was throw blood in shark infested waters and obscure the point trying to be made. Jerry should've simply said you never know absolutely whether a coach can win until they do and I (speaking for Jerry) believe Jason can. If he felt the need to provide some justification, he couldn't simply said history is rife with coaches that were fired in one place, went on to another and were successful. No doubt he would be pressed to provide examples, but the intelligent response would be "you all know them, I don't need to recite them to you" and he's right. He probably would've still been castigated for his belief, but at least it wouldn't have clouded the issue with the comparison to Tom.

JustChip

Reaction score
Win the Super Bowl and the critics will shut up. Comparing yourself to Tom Landry won't shut them up.

I'm not sure winning the Super Bowl quiets the critics, at least not on here. The narrative would be they won in spite of him. You see it all the time on here, both in regards to Garrett and Dak. Most people simply aren't objective. They're what they accuse Jerry of - letting their ego and need to be right get in the way of objective analysis.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree, it wasn't a wise thing say it and he should've expected the backlash. But that doesn't have anything to do with whether the basic premise is correct.

Jerry is absolutely correct in that Tom was criticized and there was no small measure of doubt in his and the team's ability to win it all UNTIL they did in '72. I don't read at all that he is equating Jason and Tom from a coaching skills standpoint, just that he believes that Jason can win it. Only time will tell if Jerry's belief is validated or those that believe Jason can't win it are validated.

Personally, I wouldn't have invoked Tom in my remarks if I was Jerry. As you pointed out, all that did was throw blood in shark infested waters and obscure the point trying to be made. Jerry should've simply said you never know absolutely whether a coach can win until they do and I (speaking for Jerry) believe Jason can. If he felt the need to provide some justification, he couldn't simply said history is rife with coaches that were fired in one place, went on to another and were successful. No doubt he would be pressed to provide examples, but the intelligent response would be "you all know them, I don't need to recite them to you" and he's right. He probably would've still been castigated for his belief, but at least it wouldn't have clouded the issue with the comparison to Tom.

Of course Coach Landry was. I mean, he actually had it much worse because in those days, you could not insulate yourself from the fan base like you can now. However, Jerry is not right in any sense of the word IMO. If the point was to deflect, then he did a poor of it because he, himself chose the absolute worst ground to defend, when he introduced Landry into the discussion. If the idea was other, then we definitely have bigger problems and thats never a good sign.

Did Landry lose early and then have great success? Yes he did. Has Garrett lost early and can he eventually have success? Yes he can but you don't make that comparison. It's like saying we are born into this world and we die. Golden Retrievers are also born into this world and they too die. Because we are the same in this way, Golden retrievers should be considered as valid recipients of Drivers Licenses. LOL........

It's crazy but I think you and I agree, for the most part. It just was not wise to make the comparison, IMO.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Again. We have issues in Dallas. They extend a lot farther than Jason Garrett’s tenure. We’re closer than we’ve been in years right now.

Until the issues get addressed, your results aren’t going to change. You guys are rooting for change, but not progress. And you don’t even know it. Do it your way and you’re buying three or more years of more futility, only with a different face on it.
Preach it Reds. :thumbup:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'm not sure winning the Super Bowl quiets the critics, at least not on here. The narrative would be they won in spite of him. You see it all the time on here, both in regards to Garrett and Dak. Most people simply aren't objective. They're what they accuse Jerry of - letting their ego and need to be right get in the way of objective analysis.

It would shut the critics up for a while, but it wouldn't last into the next season.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm really running out of gas here.

JustChip

Reaction score
Of course Coach Landry was. I mean, he actually had it much worse because in those days, you could not insulate yourself from the fan base like you can now. However, Jerry is not right in any sense of the word IMO. If the point was to deflect, then he did a poor of it because he, himself chose the absolute worst ground to defend, when he introduced Landry into the discussion. If the idea was other, then we definitely have bigger problems and thats never a good sign.

Did Landry lose early and then have great success? Yes he did. Has Garrett lost early and can he eventually have success? Yes he can but you don't make that comparison. It's like saying we are born into this world and we die. Golden Retrievers are also born into this world and they too die. Because we are the same in this way, Golden retrievers should be considered as valid recipients of Drivers Licenses. LOL........

It's crazy but I think you and I agree, for the most part. It just was not wise to make the comparison, IMO.

You're right.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ole Jer continues making me feel good for walking away from my season tickets.