Jerry on playoff success: The great Tom Landry had criticism for years

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So stupid too. Just look at the teams in the playoffs right now. All excellent coaches.
Yepper..

Jerry tried winning championships with a great HC but he didn’t receive the credit he was looking for and why we are where we are.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The only way to force change is like we did in late 80’s when team was struggling with Bum.

Half empty stadiums, slumping merchandise sales and local tv blackouts put the Cowboys in the red losing almost a million a month forcing ownership to sell.

That’s the only option with Jerry. He would sell before ever giving up control of football operations. And he probably would have moved us if he didn’t get his new stadium.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep
I tried. All I could convince was a few thousand season ticket holders from Texas Stadium. Many locals have walked away and why so many opposing fans in attendance.

For years I was bashed by many fans for even suggesting a financial boycott. The ones who still support Jerry take issue with those of us actually trying to make a difference.

Some people are simply too selfish in their own addictions to force Jerry’s hand. I waved my white flag years ago. It’s too late now . Once the new stadium was built , tickets sold , PSL’s committed and sponsors inked. Game over. Jerry won.
How convincing were/are your leadership skills? I ask because you may wish to speak in the future with others announcing their boycott ideas.

If your leadership skills were/are average or less, it could lend insight for hopeful boycotters who are not committed towards devoting large portions of their personal time and energy in the endeavor. If your leadership skills were/are above average or greater, it may illustrate to them that even a gifted innovator and organizer enjoyed poor results. It should be worth mentioning that a specific boycotting strategy may play as an important variable towards success or failure as well.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only way to force change is like we did in late 80’s when team was struggling with Bum.

Half empty stadiums, slumping merchandise sales and local tv blackouts put the Cowboys in the red losing almost a million a month forcing ownership to sell.

That’s the only option with Jerry. He would sell before ever giving up control of football operations. And he probably would have moved us if he didn’t get his new stadium.
Bold> At least a portion of that observation can be attributed to poor management on Bright's part.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bold> At least a portion of that observation can be attributed to poor management on Bright's part.
Bums legacy was his own personal agenda with Landry. He chose the one owner who agreed to fire him. The other bids which were higher didn’t necessarily agree.

Bum had a Hardon for Tom since he had signed an agreement with Murchinson that Tex had Final say in football operations. Bum screwed us in the end. And why I never blamed Jerry for firing Tom. That was Bums agenda.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Landry - 250 career wins/.607 winning percentage - 20 playoff wins/.556 winning percentage - 5 Superbowl appearances
Garrett - 77 career wins/.566 winning percentage - 2 playoff wins/.400 winning percentage - 0 Super Bowl appearances

Jimmy - 80 career wins/.556 winning percentage - 9 playoff wins/.692 winning percentage - 2 Super Bowl appearances

Also, Landry and Jimmy inherited awful teams.

NFL success is about Super Bowls. It always has been, always will be.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bums legacy was his own personal agenda with Landry. He chose the one owner who agreed to fire him. The other bids which were higher didn’t necessarily agree.

Bum had a Hardon for Tom since he had signed an agreement with Murchinson that Tex had Final say in football operations. Bum screwed us in the end. And why I never blamed Jerry for firing Tom. That was Bums agenda.
...but were "half-empty stadiums, slumping merchandise sales, and local tv blackouts" more contributable to Bright's management skills? Or was he attempting to 'sabotage' Landry in some sort of revenge factor? Perhaps Bright was more of a coward for not firing Landry at his earliest opportunity during his ownership than some 'hero' who sold it to someone who did not care about Landry at all when he sold the franchise to Jones.

cern

Reaction score
I don't think it had anything to do with bright mismanagement. The cowboys were losing. Tom started turning on his own coaches (stautner, paul hackett) and shramm turning on the fans. He refused to lift blackouts saying he didn't give a damn about fans watching games on tv, only those at the stadium. The egos imploded.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How convincing were/are your leadership skills? I ask because you may wish to speak in the future with others announcing their boycott ideas.

If your leadership skills were/are average or less, it could lend insight for hopeful boycotters who are not committed towards devoting large portions of their personal time and energy in the endeavor. If your leadership skills were/are above average or greater, it may illustrate to them that even a gifted innovator and organizer enjoyed poor results. It should be worth mentioning that a specific boycotting strategy may play as an important variable towards success or failure as well.
We made quite an impact initially cumulatively with over ten thousand former season ticket holders .

Jerry almost had to start from scratch and why most of the new season tickets sold were corporate and new members. We were also part of the group fighting for those residents being forced out with new construction.

But no, I don’t have the energy level or the organization any longer to engulf myself in such a fight. Like I said. It’s over. Jerry won. We’re just hoping we outlive him now.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it had anything to do with bright mismanagement. The cowboys were losing. Tom started turning on his own coaches (stautner, paul hackett) and shramm turning on the fans. He refused to lift blackouts saying he didn't give a damn about fans watching games on tv, only those at the stadium. The egos imploded.
Who is 'he' as in 'He refused to lift blackouts saying he didn't give a damn..?" I ask because if it was Bright and Bright refused to lift blackouts--it would support IN A SMALL WAY that Bright had poor management skills. I point that out knowing you are 100% correct. Just saying. ;)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We made quite an impact initially cumulatively with over ten thousand former season ticket holders .

Jerry almost had to start from scratch and why most of the new season tickets sold were corporate and new members. We were also part of the group fighting for those residents being forced out with new construction.

But no, I don’t have the energy level or the organization any longer to engulf myself in such a fight. Like I said. It’s over. Jerry won. We’re just hoping we outlive him now.
Okay. Thanks I guess..?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
welp there you have it folks. Garretts officially the coach for life
yep clapper is here to stay
Tom Landry was a great innovator and had 20 consecutive winning seasons. Oh and you fired him, Jerry.
wasnt it 20 in the playoffs too?
So just so I get this straight Jerry.

You are modeling your franchise over what is an anomaly in the history of successful NFL coaches. In other words, despite the fact that every SB winning coach other than Landry, had way more success through 8 seasons, you are going to hitch your strategy on the one guy who was different......... the guy who took over a brand new franchise and had to built it from scratch?

LOL.
by 67 cowboys were in nfl championship games 2 in a row, then 2 SB in a row.
someone needs to explain expansion team to jerry lol.

But to be honest, after dallas lost to GB in ice bowl there were articles and people saying tom couldn't win the big games.
there was more talk after they lost the SB to Baltimore, and that is probably what jerry is referring to.

But the criticism of JG is not that he cant win the BIG games, it is that he cant even get to them ! lol
He cant even get to the nfc champ game , much less win it.
Tom had to get by GB team which was one of the greatest teams of the era, and JG hasnt had to deal with that,
I mean if he got to SB 2 times and was beat by NE that would be similar, but JG cant get up to that level.

This just shows how bad our FO is with the jones boys, they think JG will get them there eventually.
He just compared Garrett HC tenure to Tom Landry's. :lmao:
Insane isnt it? And I am not a big fan of landry, but in no way should JG be touted as a landry.
Jones boys are just hillbillys running a nfl team which sadly is the team we all like.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Have you ever seen an owner go so far out of his way to justify mediocrity by his HC?
no lol but jerry does a lot of things other owners dont, like pretend to be a GM.
our DC this year was called a passing game coordinator ! lol only hillbilly jerry does this stuff.

he doesnt really want to win SB's, he just wants to play with his team/ toy.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
but this just confirms jerry is planning on extending the mediocre HC for many more years.

If I was elliot and dak and lawrence, I would turn down a new contract, and wait and sign with another team that might
actually have a shot at a SB.
otherwise they will suffer same fate as witten and Romo.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
For the older fans who want garret gone, this is depressing, cause it means we have to put up with JG till we die.

If the jones boys had any sense they would move JG to mgmt, and make richards HC and see what he can do,
Richards is young and fiery, I think he would change things for the better if he could hire his own staff.

Other than that the whole thing about getting payton sounds good, jerry does like proven coaches....except for clapper lol.