Twitter: Jerry on the draft: "we didn't cut our throat when we didn't get a corner"

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hawkeye0202, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

14,135 Messages
    24,934 Likes Received
    I admit at the beginning of the season, I was in on CB in 1st round but realized just what you've said here.

waving monkey likes this.
  2. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

14,135 Messages
    24,934 Likes Received
    Hell, most......at least 80%+ ......

rocyaice likes this.
  3. tunahelper

tunahelper Well-Known Member

4,524 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    My point was he got it right.

4. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

48,596 Messages
    42,025 Likes Received
    So about that tanking last year? Had we "tanked" like many here wanted...we probably end up with the 4th-6th pick in the draft.....and there's no way in hell they are trading down from that and they aren't taking Parsons.....this is why you should let the draft play out. Sometimes things fall into your lap.

5. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard Zone Supporter

29,313 Messages
    25,368 Likes Received
    I guess you could say it that way. I would rather think things happen the way they do for a reason. Chaos theory is a real thing but it plays a lesser role in the draft because of all the scouting that takes place here.

Mr_437 and Hawkeye0202 like this.
  6. phildadon86

phildadon86 Well-Known Member

13,595 Messages
    18,841 Likes Received
    Ive been saying it since November. Not to toot my own horn. But Catch cant admit ever if he is wrong. He still thinks Parsons wasnt a good pick there.

7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

58,630 Messages
    63,782 Likes Received
    You don’t.

NFL will never agree with you as long as we have a salary cap.

Cheap quality corner play is valuable.

Linebackers are a dime a dozen and cheap.

I think the Cowboys are learning with Parsons how good of a pass rusher he is and if the NFL knew he could get after the QB like this then we never see him at our pick anyways.

Robbieac likes this.
  8. fivetwos

fivetwos Well-Known Member

10,511 Messages
    12,642 Likes Received
    If they had Parsons ranked ahead of every defensive player, then he should have been the pick anyway.

I'll continue to wonder why anyone thinks corners can cover all day without a rush, no matter how good they may be.

Back to Jerry.....maybe they didn't "cut their throat," when they didn't get Surtain/Horn, but they sure did seem to fixate on the position at 44.

JoeKing, Hawkeye0202 and kskboys like this.
  9. phildadon86

13,595 Messages
    18,841 Likes Received
    I agree

10. phildadon86

13,595 Messages
    18,841 Likes Received
    Parsons isnt a dime a dozen player. No matter where he plays. But keep telling yourself whatever you want.

jwitten82 and waving monkey like this.
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

58,630 Messages
    63,782 Likes Received
    No I’ve constantly said I’d like the pick if he could impact the pass game. I guess you don’t comprehend words or something.

I had no idea he could rush from the edge like this. I don’t think anyone did or he wouldn’t have made it to our pick.

Robbieac likes this.
  12. rocyaice

48,596 Messages
    42,025 Likes Received
    That's not entirely fair though. Because Bronco's and Panthers passed him up for corners....Eagles traded with us and took a receiver even though they needed a linebacker.

We might not admit it now but there were character concerns with Parsons that threw off a lot of teams. And probably would've threw off the Cowboys too but with Slater being the only "need" available? It was a easy decision.

ninja likes this.
  13. phildadon86

13,595 Messages
    18,841 Likes Received
    We all knew he could before the draft. Yet. You still said we should have gone OL or CB. Its not about comprehension. Its about the fact you have issues with admitting your wrong. Its fine. Keep doing you man.

14. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

13,719 Messages
    9,359 Likes Received
    Yeah, exactly. BPA should almost always trumps need. A need in April often looks different even a few months later.

15. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

28,784 Messages
    31,509 Likes Received
    Belichick. When Belly said "You can never have enough corners", NFL fans jumped on board and declared the CB was the most important position ever ever ever. And you cannot even talk to them about it. You can lay down fact after fact after fact filled w/ logic and common sense, but NOPE, it's all about CB's.

One of the strangest things I've ever seen. Brainwashing of a large contingent of fans.

Meanwhile, the teams who form great DLines just keep on winning super bowls.

fivetwos likes this.
  16. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

20,109 Messages
    27,190 Likes Received
    I was. But after seeing Asante Samuel Jr Sunday I’m not sure he’s not better than Surtain and Horn at least out of the gates. That kid looks good.

bigE79 and ninja like this.
  17. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

15,445 Messages
    14,833 Likes Received
    If the general sentiments on this thread are true then every team is lucky[ when a good player falls to them] unless their the first overall pick.

rocyaice likes this.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

58,630 Messages
    63,782 Likes Received
    You all knew what?

From watching his college tape of him blitzing, running sideline to sideline, and doing his best to look mediocre in coverage you knew he could fly off the edge and basically be the best edge rusher in the draft?

Some of you should’ve told the NFL that then because he was universally viewed as a normal linebacker that had high upside that had question marks in coverage.

Nobosy cares if he can cover anymore. It’s all about his pass rush.

Id be fine if he never played the position they drafted him for again.

Robbieac and waving monkey like this.
  19. rocyaice

48,596 Messages
    42,025 Likes Received
    Yeah I believe you that you did. And props to you. I'm on record to saying I completely missed it. Didn't think they'd take linebacker that early and not sure if they would've. I'm happy they did because I probably would've taken the corners and worried about linebacker later. But we clearly have something different here. We might be looking at a Von Miller type. Something you normally get with a top 5 pick.

I don't know what Catch's deal is. He wants to look right. And I get not crowning Parsons early.....but at some point, you have to hop on the bandwagon even if it is cautiously. Especially after last game. We might be looking at the next best defensive player and that's EXCITING for a team that hasn't had one since....maybe Demarcus Ware?

20. phildadon86

13,595 Messages
    18,841 Likes Received
    I was pounding the table for this kid in November to the point I wanted to take him with our top 5 pick at the time because I watched his tape and knew he was special. All you have to do is watch the Cotton Bowl. But yet. You just wont admit that I was on the money with my breakdown of Parsons. And not just for his play on the field, but for his ability to change the culture of this defense.

Best edge rusher in the draft? Does that mean you are finally not saying that the concussion case from Miami is transcendent at the position?

rocyaice likes this.