Twitter: Jerry on the draft: "we didn't cut our throat when we didn't get a corner"

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Because the board is an evil necessity like a HC is to Booger. The board gives McClay and the scouts something to do.

Guess he forgot getting in that reporter's face about Parsons being a fall back pick and inviting him to come in and look at the board?

The one action that defies Parsons was the guy all along was the trade down to 12 and risking losing him. They were reliant on the NYG not being pissed about the PHL trade that netted them Smith that they wouldn't trade with another team other than CHI and they would go for Fields?

There are always different boards with the Cowboys including the one in Booger's head where Manziel took the #1 position just because of the marketing.

They lucked into Prescott and it looks like they did the same with Parsons. Think the Cowboys run D was going to improve with a CB in the 1st?

I admit at the beginning of the season, I was in on CB in 1st round but realized just what you've said here.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Its really not. Keep beating that drum. Parsons was and is the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER in that draft. You take that over "need" or "positional value" all day every day and twice on Sunday.

My point was he got it right.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So about that tanking last year? Had we "tanked" like many here wanted...we probably end up with the 4th-6th pick in the draft.....and there's no way in hell they are trading down from that and they aren't taking Parsons.....this is why you should let the draft play out. Sometimes things fall into your lap.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So.........like Fredbeard and few others, it's another stroke of luck we have added a potentially elite player in Parson
I guess you could say it that way. I would rather think things happen the way they do for a reason. Chaos theory is a real thing but it plays a lesser role in the draft because of all the scouting that takes place here.

phildadon86

Reaction score
People are touting he's the best defensive player NOW but during the draft process I didn't see many people say that. There were just as many people saying Horn or Surtain were the best as well.
Ive been saying it since November. Not to toot my own horn. But Catch cant admit ever if he is wrong. He still thinks Parsons wasnt a good pick there.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Its really not. Keep beating that drum. Parsons was and is the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER in that draft. You take that over "need" or "positional value" all day every day and twice on Sunday.

You don’t.

NFL will never agree with you as long as we have a salary cap.

Cheap quality corner play is valuable.

Linebackers are a dime a dozen and cheap.

I think the Cowboys are learning with Parsons how good of a pass rusher he is and if the NFL knew he could get after the QB like this then we never see him at our pick anyways.

fivetwos

Reaction score
So, if Surtain isn't drafted by Denver, Parson's not a Cowboy. Am I understanding this right?

If they had Parsons ranked ahead of every defensive player, then he should have been the pick anyway.

I'll continue to wonder why anyone thinks corners can cover all day without a rush, no matter how good they may be.

Back to Jerry.....maybe they didn't "cut their throat," when they didn't get Surtain/Horn, but they sure did seem to fixate on the position at 44.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You don’t.

NFL will never agree with you as long as we have a salary cap.

Cheap quality corner play is valuable.

Linebackers are a dime a dozen and cheap.

I think the Cowboys are learning with Parsons how good of a pass rusher he is and if the NFL knew he could get after the QB like this then we never see him at our pick anyways.
Parsons isnt a dime a dozen player. No matter where he plays. But keep telling yourself whatever you want.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ive been saying it since November. Not to toot my own horn. But Catch cant admit ever if he is wrong. He still thinks Parsons wasnt a good pick there.

No I’ve constantly said I’d like the pick if he could impact the pass game. I guess you don’t comprehend words or something.

I had no idea he could rush from the edge like this. I don’t think anyone did or he wouldn’t have made it to our pick.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Incompetence

That's not entirely fair though. Because Bronco's and Panthers passed him up for corners....Eagles traded with us and took a receiver even though they needed a linebacker.

We might not admit it now but there were character concerns with Parsons that threw off a lot of teams. And probably would've threw off the Cowboys too but with Slater being the only "need" available? It was a easy decision.

phildadon86

Reaction score
No I’ve constantly said I’d like the pick if he could impact the pass game. I guess you don’t comprehend words or something.
We all knew he could before the draft. Yet. You still said we should have gone OL or CB. Its not about comprehension. Its about the fact you have issues with admitting your wrong. Its fine. Keep doing you man.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

Yeah, exactly. BPA should almost always trumps need. A need in April often looks different even a few months later.

kskboys

Reaction score
If they had Parsons ranked ahead of every defensive player, then he should have been the pick anyway.

I'll continue to wonder why anyone thinks corners can cover all day without a rush, no matter how good they may be.

Back to Jerry.....maybe they didn't "cut their throat," when they didn't get Surtain/Horn, but they sure did seem to fixate on the position at 44.
Belichick. When Belly said "You can never have enough corners", NFL fans jumped on board and declared the CB was the most important position ever ever ever. And you cannot even talk to them about it. You can lay down fact after fact after fact filled w/ logic and common sense, but NOPE, it's all about CB's.

One of the strangest things I've ever seen. Brainwashing of a large contingent of fans.

Meanwhile, the teams who form great DLines just keep on winning super bowls.

Aven8

Reaction score
People are touting he's the best defensive player NOW but during the draft process I didn't see many people say that. There were just as many people saying Horn or Surtain were the best as well.

I was. But after seeing Asante Samuel Jr Sunday I’m not sure he’s not better than Surtain and Horn at least out of the gates. That kid looks good.

waving monkey

Reaction score
If the general sentiments on this thread are true then every team is lucky[ when a good player falls to them] unless their the first overall pick.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We all knew he could before the draft. Yet. You still said we should have gone OL or CB. Its not about comprehension. Its about the fact you have issues with admitting your wrong. Its fine. Keep doing you man.

You all knew what?

From watching his college tape of him blitzing, running sideline to sideline, and doing his best to look mediocre in coverage you knew he could fly off the edge and basically be the best edge rusher in the draft?

Some of you should’ve told the NFL that then because he was universally viewed as a normal linebacker that had high upside that had question marks in coverage.

Nobosy cares if he can cover anymore. It’s all about his pass rush.

Id be fine if he never played the position they drafted him for again.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Yeah I believe you that you did. And props to you. I'm on record to saying I completely missed it. Didn't think they'd take linebacker that early and not sure if they would've. I'm happy they did because I probably would've taken the corners and worried about linebacker later. But we clearly have something different here. We might be looking at a Von Miller type. Something you normally get with a top 5 pick.

I don't know what Catch's deal is. He wants to look right. And I get not crowning Parsons early.....but at some point, you have to hop on the bandwagon even if it is cautiously. Especially after last game. We might be looking at the next best defensive player and that's EXCITING for a team that hasn't had one since....maybe Demarcus Ware?

phildadon86

Reaction score
You all knew what?

From watching his college tape of him blitzing, running sideline to sideline, and doing his best to look mediocre in coverage you knew he could fly off the edge and basically be the best edge rusher in the draft?

Some of you should’ve told the NFL that then because he was universally viewed as a normal linebacker that had high upside that had question marks in coverage.

Nobosy cares if he can cover anymore. It’s all about his pass rush.

Id be fine if he never played the position they drafted him for again.
I was pounding the table for this kid in November to the point I wanted to take him with our top 5 pick at the time because I watched his tape and knew he was special. All you have to do is watch the Cotton Bowl. But yet. You just wont admit that I was on the money with my breakdown of Parsons. And not just for his play on the field, but for his ability to change the culture of this defense.

Best edge rusher in the draft? Does that mean you are finally not saying that the concussion case from Miami is transcendent at the position?